What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alek Hidell

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 16, 2021, 08:57:03 PM
Good to see you posting again, Alex. Sorry to hear of your medical issues. I hope you're feeling better now?

Thanks, John. I've been lurking, of course, just catching up.

As for my medical issues, thank you again. The irony is that I've never felt "sick" in any way - but I learned about three weeks ago that I have cancer in my parotid (salivary) glands. Fortunately a PET scan showed that it seems to be limited to those two areas (one on each side, of course) and should be treatable.

Anyway, I'm thinking I'll let some of the recent discussions in this thread influence me, and I'll listen to some Messiaen next: the catalogue of birds, of course!
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

kyjo

Quote from: DavidW on April 13, 2021, 11:25:10 AM
Rach marathon

Strongly disliked Gergiev for the tempo choices.  Liked the Litton. I really liked the Jurowsky, and loved the Trifonov.

I really like the Litton Rach 2 as well! Maybe a bit too "high calorie" for some, but perfect for when you want a good wallow. I love the gorgeously rich sound he gets out of the Bergen Phil, and the frequent portamenti he has the string players employ.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Florestan

Quote from: Alek Hidell on April 17, 2021, 08:00:08 AM
I learned about three weeks ago that I have cancer in my parotid (salivary) glands. Fortunately a PET scan showed that it seems to be limited to those two areas (one on each side, of course) and should be treatable.

My heartfelt wishes for best health and speedy recovery!
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Alek Hidell

Quote from: Florestan on April 17, 2021, 08:08:04 AM

Thank you, sir!
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Traverso

Thanks, John. I've been lurking, of course, just catching up.

As for my medical issues, thank you again. The irony is that I've never felt "sick" in any way - but I learned about three weeks ago that I have cancer in my parotid (salivary) glands. Fortunately a PET scan showed that it seems to be limited to those two areas (one on each side, of course) and should be treatable.

Anyway, I'm thinking I'll let some of the recent discussions in this thread influence me, and I'll listen to some [b]Messiaen next: the catalogue of birds[/b], of course!

I wish you well, may I ask who is the performer?

Alek Hidell

Quote from: Traverso on April 17, 2021, 08:12:14 AM
I wish you well, may I ask who is the performer?

Thanks, Traverso. I haven't started listening yet, but I'm thinking it will be Austbø (again on Spotify).

Traverso

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on April 17, 2021, 08:08:04 AM
+1... Take good care of yourself, Alek!

aligreto

Quote from: Florestan on April 17, 2021, 05:45:22 AM
Among the best I've ever drank, actually.  ;)

If you and I were ever destined to meet in real life, Andrei, it should not be in a Wine Bar as I fear that we would be in serious trouble with our respective wives for a long time afterwards  ;D

aligreto

Quote from: steve ridgway on April 17, 2021, 06:48:56 AM

QuoteVarese: Tuning Up [Chailly]

Yes, it turned out very well, like a little Varèse sampler to introduce the album.

That is a very good way of putting it.

Florestan

Quote from: aligreto on April 17, 2021, 08:50:52 AM
If you and I were ever destined to meet in real life, Andrei, it should not be in a Wine Bar as I fear that we would be in serious trouble with our respective wives for a long time afterwards  ;D

;D

My wife is well prepared for such an event, actually --- which I can hardly wait for, myself.  :laugh:
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

steve ridgway

Quote from: kyjo on April 17, 2021, 07:31:13 AM
As you know, Swedish composers are very dear to my heart as well and there are very few of them whose music I do not cherish. It is a travesty to me that a country that has produced so many fine composers goes pretty much unmentioned in most accounts of Western music history and is rarely represented in today's concert programs.

FYI the very first entry in the Personalia appendix of The Cambridge Guide To Twentieth-Century Music is ABBA. :P

aligreto

Best wishes to you and good health for the future.

aligreto

Quote from: Florestan on April 17, 2021, 08:54:47 AM
;D

My wife is well prepared for such an event, actually --- which I can hardly wait for, myself.  :laugh:

Some day, my friend, hopefully  8)

Florestan

aligreto

Florestan

Quote from: aligreto on April 17, 2021, 09:20:31 AM
si eu sper la fel [Google translate]  8)
Save for a diacritic*, they got it right.  8)

*și

Fritz Kobus

Quote from: ritter on April 16, 2021, 01:18:08 AM
Carl Schuricht conduct Bruckner's Third Symphony (Vienna Philharmonic):

Awesome set also for the Beethoven symphonies and it is the one I have as it can be had for a reasonable cost compared to the Schuricht set that is only the Beethoven Symphonies.  Schuricht is one of my favorite Beethoven symphony cycles (also Monteux and perhaps Gardiner).

prémont

Hoping the best for you, including a speedy recovery after the treatment.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Alek Hidell on April 16, 2021, 08:47:08 PM
Finally caught up with this thread again. ::) I was working a lot - like 80- to 100-hour weeks - in January and February, and then I began facing some rather serious medical issues, so I'm only now catching up with what's going on here.

Anyway, it's funny that there was a recent discussion of Schiff's Schubert set on Decca, because I just finished listening to it within the last few days. I wasn't too fond of the acoustic of the recording - a bit echoey. I'm not nearly expert enough to comment on the performances, though I certainly like Schiff in general (especially on ECM, but then I'm an ECM fanboy anyway). As far as the music goes: meh. I just run hot and cold with Schubert. I love his symphonies, and generally like his chamber music (though sometimes it seems to me that he tends to be a bit prolix - my problem, I'm sure), but I have yet to warm to the piano music. A lot of this music just went in one ear and out the other. Again, my failure, I'm sure. Someone here can take me to task for my philistine blasphemy.

More recently:

I've been meaning to listen to some Weinberg, so what better place to start than on my aforementioned beloved ECM? And these two sets have gotten some love here, so I listened to them on Spotify. I enjoyed both, but particularly the latter - I believe I own the recording (a sure sign of a GMG member, when you can't even remember which recordings you own), so I'll need to cue it up again soon.

Trust you've mended!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot