What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: aligreto on April 20, 2021, 06:56:43 AM
Un grand sommeil noir, original version [Chailly] The song seems more haunting because of the more stark accompaniment of the solo piano.

I'm going to listen to that piece now with Elizabeth Watts, soprano and Lyndon-Gee, piano:

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

ritter

First listen (the CD just landed in my office) to Gustave Samazeuilh's piano music, played by Olivier Chauzu:

The opening Nocturne is, well, very nocturnal, quite pleasant to the ear, but it also sound like the second (or third) pressing of, well, something.  :D

Brian

Francisco Mignone

Gosh this is good stuff.

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on April 20, 2021, 08:05:06 AM
First listen (the CD just landed in my office) to Gustave Samazeuilh's piano music, played by Olivier Chauzu:

The opening Nocturne is, well, very nocturnal, quite pleasant to the ear, but it also sound like the second (or third) pressing of, well, something.  :D

Chopin, right? ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on April 20, 2021, 06:56:43 AM
More Varese; slowly, slowly....

Un grand sommeil noir [Chailly] I found this to be a wonderfully haunting work. The soprano sings with wonderful emotion.

Un grand sommeil noir, original version [Chailly] The song seems more haunting because of the more stark accompaniment of the solo piano. When you hear this you also realize what a wonderful job the orchestrator did with it.

And carefully.....carefully    :D

bhodges

Ligeti: Lux Aeterna (Latvian Radio Choir) - Still a favorite choral work, mysterious and beautiful. The Latvian ensemble sounds fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxLzzF2_nJA

--Bruce

Traverso

Telemann

Such cheerful ,elegant music

Paris Quartets 7-8-9

aligreto

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 20, 2021, 07:31:04 AM
NP:

Shostakovich
Symphony No. 4 in C minor, Op. 43
Moscow Philharmonics Symphony Orchestra
Kondrashin

Yikes! One does have to admire the sheer visceral quality of this music. The music goes for the throat.

That is a great set.

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on April 20, 2021, 08:22:46 AM
And carefully.....carefully    :D

Yes, indeed, Jan. I like listening to this music with headphones on. They are open backed headphones so they do breathe a lot. I just push the volume up just a little higher than normal and it is a terrific sonic experience.

aligreto

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 20, 2021, 08:00:56 AM
I'm going to listen to that piece now with Elizabeth Watts, soprano and Lyndon-Gee, piano:

Sarge

I have not bought that CD, Sarge; not yet anyway.....

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on April 20, 2021, 09:04:54 AM
That is a great set.

The only dowload I have from Qobuz ,otherwise too expesive. :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: aligreto on April 20, 2021, 09:04:54 AM
That is a great set.

Indeed. Between this set, Rozhdestvensky and Haitink, I don't think I could pick one.

Florestan

Quote from: Traverso on April 20, 2021, 08:28:53 AM
Telemann

Paris Quartets 7-8-9

Cheerful and elegant --- indeed Telemann's middle names. And that specific recording is a crackerjack.  8)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

North Star

Zemlinsky
String Quartet No. 1 in A major, Op. 4  (1896)
Maiblumen blühten überall (Dehmel), for soprano & string sextet*
String Quartet No. 2, Op. 15 (1913-15)
Schoenberg Quartet
Susan Narucki (S)*, Jan Erik van Regteren Altena (va)*, Taco Kooistra (vc)*
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Que

Quote from: Traverso on April 20, 2021, 08:28:53 AM
Telemann

Paris Quartets 7-8-9

Quote from: Florestan on April 20, 2021, 09:14:11 AM
Cheerful and elegant --- indeed Telemann's middle names. And that specific recording is a crackerjack.  8)

+1  :)

Mirror Image

Now, for something fun!

Schuman
American Festival Overture
St. Louis SO
Slatkin

And, thankfully, this ain't Venzago's horrendous Bruckner! God help us if it was! :D

Brian

Quote from: Brian on April 20, 2021, 08:15:23 AM
Francisco Mignone

Gosh this is good stuff.
Gadzooks! Maracatu is really incredible. Why is this stuff not played in concert halls?! It's absolute crowd-pleasing potboiling brilliance!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on April 20, 2021, 09:29:48 AM
Gadzooks! Maracatu is really incredible. Why is this stuff not played in concert halls?! It's absolute crowd-pleasing potboiling brilliance!

Is this a serious question or simply rhetorical? ;)

Daverz

Quote from: Brian on April 20, 2021, 09:29:48 AM

Have you heard the Guarnieri and Santoro discs from Bis?  Mignone is good, but I'd rate those two higher.

Mirror Image

Janáček
String Quartet No. 1, "Kreutzer Sonata"
Pražák Quartet

Between this recording, Panocha and Talich, I'd have a difficult time choosing a favorite in these SQs. I also like the Takács on Hyperion.