What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 05, 2021, 11:44:44 AM
I was in the mood for something that just goes 'smack' 'pow' and that was infectious beyond belief, so here's what I wound up listening to:

Walton
Portsmouth Point Overture
LSO
Previn

From this smashing set:

Great choice John!  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 05, 2021, 01:01:54 PM
Great choice John!  :)

Indeed. I needed something to pep me up and Walton usually does the trick. ;)

NP:

Henze
Sonata for Strings
Collegium Musicum Zurich
Paul Sacher

Traverso

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 05, 2021, 11:44:44 AM
I was in the mood for something that just goes 'smack' 'pow' and that was infectious beyond belief, so here's what I wound up listening to:

Walton
Portsmouth Point Overture
LSO
Previn

From this smashing set:

I have not a single Walton CD,is that something that must be changed in a moment a twinkle of an eye ?  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Traverso on May 05, 2021, 01:27:22 PM
I have not a single Walton CD,is that something that must be changed in a moment a twinkle of an eye ?  :)

Absolutely! I'm surprised you don't any of Walton's music, Jan. Works like the 1st symphony, the Viola Concerto (although I love the Violin Concerto just as much) and Belshazzar's Feast should be in every 20th Century music fan's collection.

Traverso

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 05, 2021, 01:39:56 PM
Absolutely! I'm surprised you don't any of Walton's music, Jan. Works like the 1st symphony, the Viola Concerto (although I love the Violin Concerto just as much) and Belshazzar's Feast should be in every 20th Century music fan's collection.

I used to have Belshazzar's Feast, the Solti recording in my LP time,I shall shortly fill the gap with that EMI box in mind. :)

Mirror Image

NP:

Henze
Carillon, Recitatif, Masque
Franz Halász, Cristina Bianchi & Anna Torge

Absolutely gorgeous.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Traverso on May 05, 2021, 01:49:57 PM
I used to have Belshazzar's Feast, the Solti recording in my LP time,I shall shortly fill the gap with that EMI box in mind. :)

The EMI set would be an excellent choice. 8)

Karl Henning

Tchaikovsky
Symphony № 6 in b minor, Op. 74 « Pathétique »

RVW
Symphony № 4 in f minor

NY Phil
Lenny

Both a truly exquisite account of the Pathétique and a nervy, tight reading of the RVW Fourth.

While I had dipped into the Symphony Edition a bit (and previously knew some swaths of the contents—the Haydn & Sibelius, e.g.) here I have at last listened through the entirety of the box, and found it unfailingly rewarding.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

NP:

Henze
Symphony No. 3
Berliners
Henze

Mirror Image

Continuing this work from the other day:

Zemlinsky
Der Zwerg, Op. 17
Juanita Lascarro (soprano), Machiko Obata (soprano), Soile Isokoski (soprano), Natalie Karl (soprano), Martina Rüping (mezzo-soprano), Iride Martinez (soprano), Anne Schwanewilms (mezzo-soprano), Andrew Collis (bass), David Kuebler (vocals)
Gürzenich-Orchester Köln, Frankfurter Kantorei
James Conlon

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 05, 2021, 01:50:00 PM
NP:

Henze
Carillon, Recitatif, Masque
Franz Halász, Cristina Bianchi & Anna Torge

Absolutely gorgeous.

+1

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 05, 2021, 01:39:56 PM

+1 + Johannesburg Overture.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 05, 2021, 05:37:32 PM
+1

+1 + Johannesburg Overture.

Ah, you like Henze's music, Dry Brett? I'm finding him to be an intriguing composer and the more I listen to him, the more he's getting under my skin. Sometimes when a composer has such a diverse range of compositions that are in all sorts of styles (sometimes the styles are in the same work), it can be difficult, or difficult for me, to assimilate all of these different strands, but it's finally coming together for me.

Mirror Image

NP:

Zemlinsky
Sinfonietta, Op. 23
Gürzenich Orchestra Cologne
Conlon

This might be a first-listen to this work. I don't recall it, but this doesn't mean I haven't heard it before. A wonderfully atmospheric work with some strident rhythms in the meatier sections. It definitely plays to two extremes: Late-Romantic and perhaps that more Expressionistic style we hear in mid-period Schoenberg and Berg. Great stuff.

Mirror Image

NP:

Stravinsky
Orpheus
Philharmonia
Salonen

Mirror Image

NP:

Szymanowski
Mythes, Op. 30
Kaja Danczowska, Krystian Zimerman

One of Szymanowski's masterpieces and a work that should be a part of the mainstream chamber music repertoire.

Mirror Image

One final work for the night:

Schoenberg
Fünf Orchesterstücke, Op. 16
Cleveland Orchestra
Dohnányi

An incredibly fine performance of one of my favorite works of all-time.

SimonNZ

vandermolen

Bantock - Hebridean Symphony
Czecho-Slovak State PO, Adrian Leaper:

This (formerly on Marco Polo) might be a less polished performance than Vernon Handley's one but I find it more atmospheric in a way.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Harry

Josef Antonin Sehling.
Christmas in Prague Cathedral.

Johann Joseph Fux.

Collegium Marianum, Jana Semeradova.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

vandermolen

Before work - Kastalsky 'Requiem for Fallen Brothers':