What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T. D. and 15 Guests are viewing this topic.

SimonNZ

Mannheim and Vienna: Leopold Mozart - Carl Gorvin, cond.

Que

This came in the mail this morning:

[asin]B074XS3LBQ[/asin]
Early Italian keyboard music by Marco Antonio Cavazzoni and several other composers, including his son, Girolamo Cavazzoni.

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2019/Feb/Cavazzoni_ricercars_8572998.htm

Q

Madiel

This album has been sitting on my living room table politely waiting to be re-listened to for weeks. And then Karl beat me to it a few days ago.

No more waiting. I now know it's time. 83 minutes of glory.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Harry

CD 10.

Partitas from Secondary Sources, Part V.

Stella makes the world quiet around you, and dives deep into contemplative element of this music. And yet so many expressive colours. Every phrase has a peculiar kind of expression. Intensely meditative is my impression. The structural importance of the music cannot be underrated.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

English Music. CD 8.

Henry Purcell.
Theatre Music, Part IV.

The Double Dealer.
The Richmond Heiress or A woman once in the right.
The Rival Sisters or The Violence of Love.
Henry the second, King of England.
Theodosius or The Force of love.

I am currently into a few boxes with a lot of CD'S, listening to them exclusively in order to get them played.
Purcell's theatre music sung and played by these artists is a constant pleasure. Subtlety and flexibility in the performances is the key of its success. The recitative is lucid, plus a very clear diction of all concerned. The effect of the declamation of the story is essential in this music. And it can only be reached if all concerned touch each other in perfect collaboration. The instrumental parts are in line with that.

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Traverso

Handel

It is a long time ago that I listened to this recording,besides this one I also have the beautiful more introverted Parrott recording, the beautiful Cleobury (Argo) the older Willcocks and Marriner, also Argo.
I can enjoy all of them but I have a slight preference for the cristal clear Cleobury recording with the Kings College Choir Cambridge.
This one with Hogwood still sounds very fresh with everything a good Messiah needs.

Papy Oli

Good afternoon all,

Malcolm Arnold - Symphonies 1 & 2 (Penny)

[asin]B000001489[/asin]
Olivier

Madiel

Barber, Overture to "The School for Scandal".

Holmboe, Monolith.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Traverso

Madiel

Nielsen, Piano Music for Young and Old

Second time around with this music, with McCabe as the performer rather than Koppel.

And while McCabe can't make great profound music of what is really a group of small five-finger exercises for early students, he does to my ears make a great deal more poetry out of this material than Koppel did. I'm not making a side-by-side comparison (I listened to Koppel 9 days ago), but my gut reaction is that with McCabe it's less obvious that I'm sitting through a school recital.

Harry

Madrigals & Songs.
CD IX.

John Coprario.
Songs of Mourning & Consort Music.

In principal I like the voice of Martyn Hill, but in this case he puts to much effort in a irritating vibrato, and his lines seems endless, as if he is beautifying his voice as long as possible. All sounds the same, with little or no variation. Not the effect I like.
The consort pieces are excellent, which is good for a positive contrast.

Florestan

Some first listens:

Symphony No 1. Boring. I'm not impressed.

Symphony No. 2. Better, but I'm still unimpressed.

Harry

Quote from: Florestan on September 24, 2019, 05:35:16 AM
Some first listens:

What a pity, Andrei, these works belong to my top ten of Russian Symphonists. It takes some effort to understand the true worth of Glazunov.
Serebrier is one of the best sets, but my number one is still Neeme Jarvi on the label Orfeo.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Florestan on September 24, 2019, 05:35:16 AM
Some first listens:

Hang in there Florestan - these are not blazingly Romantic works like Tchaikovsky or dripping melody like Borodin or even Kalinnikov but there is good music here.  My favourites are 5 & 6.  Serebrier is very good both musically and as technical recordings.  For Soviet blare I love Svetlanov's cycle which certainly presents the music as more overtly dramatic scores.....

Madiel

Florestan

Quote from: "Harry" on September 24, 2019, 05:45:47 AM
What a pity, Andrei, these works belong to my top ten of Russian Symphonists. It takes some effort to understand the true worth of Glazunov.
Serebrier is one of the best sets, but my number one is still Neeme Jarvi on the label Orfeo.

I like Raymonda, The Seasons and the Violin Concerto but I have a hard time understanding why Glazunov was considered heir to Tchaikovsky as a symphonist. I've listened to the first two: not a single memorable, heartmelting melody, not a single arresting idea, not a trace of that bittersweet, sentimental-cum-angst Tchaikovskian atmosphere and last but not least not a single memorable waltz --- Tchaikovsky is as far away from all this as it gets I'll keep listening, though, maybe the next symphonies are better.

Florestan

j winter

On the drive in this morning, Beethoven 4 & 5, Vanska.  Very, very nice.  Crisply played, and the recording quality is excellent.

I haven't listened to much Beethoven recently, and I was debating taking an older Leipzig set (either Masur or Konwitschny) for a spin, but I ended up going for something more recent and grabbing Vanska instead.  I have more recordings of these symphonies than of any other set of works, by far, but I try not to listen to them too often -- it's easy to get burned out on them, great as they are...
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice