Author Topic: What are you listening 2 now?  (Read 1078879 times)

deprofundis (+ 1 Hidden) and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
Re: What are you listening 2 now?
« Reply #40000 on: May 09, 2021, 01:28:57 PM »
Vivaldi Concerto in D RV 208 "Il Grosso Mogul"
Hard to breathe new life into Vivaldi, but Kopatchinskaja gives it her best shot, exploring the limits of audibility in the process.

Warning: the whole album interleaves Vivaldi with new commissions in complementary style.   :-\  Interesting for a one-off, but that's about it.

Vivaldi Concerti (and other commissioned stuff) - Kopatchinskaja, Il Giardino Armonico, Antonini

Curiouser and curiouser.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #40001 on: May 09, 2021, 01:30:21 PM »
Frantisek Ignac Antonin Tuma.
Stabat Mater.

Jan Dismas Zelenka.
Sanctus-Agnus Dei.
Sub Tuum Praesidium.

Collegium 1704,Vaclav Luks.

I had this weekend a power overload in my house effectively destroying much of my Equipment. I have some left, but not much.
Still I am healthy....
A really fine recording.....

Yikes!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #40002 on: May 09, 2021, 01:43:12 PM »
LvB
Pf Cto № 1 in C, Op. 15
Lenny, pf
Israel Phil

Pf Cto № 2 in Bb, Op. 19
Glenn St-Gould, pf
Columbia Symphony
Lenny

Pf Cto № 3 in c minor, Op. 37
Glenn St-Gould, pf
Columbia Symphony
Lenny

Pf Cto № 4 in G, Op. 58
Glenn St-Gould, pf
NY Phil
Lenny

I especially enjoyed both Lenny in the First, and The Eccentric Canadian in the G Major; in fact I'll go right back and listen again to the latter.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #40003 on: May 09, 2021, 01:44:35 PM »
I'm listening to downloads on presto classical first Josquin the Golden years of Renaissance real darn good and the new Beauty Farm on Fra Bernardo Pierre DE la Rue Masses vol 2. wow killing releases amen to this QUE please check it out, Mandryka I want your point of  view on new Pierre DE la Rue Masses Beauty Farm volume 2.

Maybe I do not search sufficiently, but as far I can see, it's The Sound and the Fury, which recently has released a CD with the title Pierre de la Rue Masses vol. 2, and not Beauty Farm.
As soon as a word has left the lips, not even the fastest horse can catch up with it.

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
« Reply #40004 on: May 09, 2021, 04:46:43 PM »
Again, this lovely version of Stravinsky's Apollo, with l'Orchestre philharmonique de Radio France and conductor Daniel Harding. Of many fine versions, this live reading posted on YouTube in June 2020 must rank with the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2HqFK4ACnk&t=6s

--Bruce
"Do you realize that we're meteorites; almost as soon as we're born, we have to disappear?"

~Iannis Xenakis

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #40005 on: May 09, 2021, 04:55:07 PM »
LvB

Pf Cto № 5 Eb, Op. 73 « Cæsar »
R. Serkin, pf
NY Phil
Lenny

Even in so fine a performance, I find the first movement of the Op. 73 something of a chore, to be endured.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #40006 on: May 09, 2021, 05:01:12 PM »
LvB

Pf Cto № 5 Eb, Op. 73 « Cæsar »
R. Serkin, pf
NY Phil
Lenny

Even in so fine a performance, I find the first movement of the Op. 73 something of a chore, to be endured.

Interesting.  No. 5 has never been my favorite of the concertos.  That would be No. 3.

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #40007 on: May 09, 2021, 05:04:42 PM »
Vivaldi Concerto in D RV 208 "Il Grosso Mogul"
Hard to breathe new life into Vivaldi, but Kopatchinskaja gives it her best shot, exploring the limits of audibility in the process.

Warning: the whole album interleaves Vivaldi with new commissions in complementary style.   :-\  Interesting for a one-off, but that's about it.

Vivaldi Concerti (and other commissioned stuff) - Kopatchinskaja, Il Giardino Armonico, Antonini

I didn't make it all the way through even once.

I used to be intrigued by her recordings, now I'm starting to dread them.  There's the new Pierrot Lunaire in which she takes the solo part.  Hey, it's just sprechstimme, so why not.   ???

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #40008 on: May 09, 2021, 05:43:11 PM »
Interesting.  No. 5 has never been my favorite of the concertos.  That would be No. 3.

Same here, although Number 4 would challenge Number 3 very closely.

TD

Hadelich playing Bach's Sei Solo.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
« Reply #40009 on: May 09, 2021, 06:05:13 PM »
Brahms: Schicksalslied (Radio Filharmonisch Orkest / Groot Omroepkoor / Karina Canellakis) - Recorded on September 11, 2020 in Utrecht, and considering the date and the occasion, quite something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFe2hbw1FRo

--Bruce
"Do you realize that we're meteorites; almost as soon as we're born, we have to disappear?"

~Iannis Xenakis

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
    Harrowing cries across a war-torn landscape
« Reply #40010 on: May 09, 2021, 06:05:35 PM »
Suk: Asrael Symphony.

Impressive in parts but a work I have difficulty coming to terms with.

Same here. It’s not one of Suk’s better works, IMHO.
“When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.” - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #40011 on: May 09, 2021, 06:29:57 PM »
NP:

Respighi
Metamorphoseon, P 169
Orchestre Philharmonique Royal de Liège
Neschling

All of these Neschling recordings of Respighi on BIS are excellent.
“When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.” - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #40012 on: May 09, 2021, 07:11:42 PM »
NP:

Glazunov
Symphony No. 8 in E-flat, Op. 83
USSR Ministry of Culture SO
Rozhdestvensky

Online deprofundis

• Veteran member
  • A person living in his dreams & Stouts Beer dude
    classical, skronk-jazz, blues, electro, noise, ambient, experimental etc
« Reply #40013 on: May 09, 2021, 08:38:24 PM »
Hello, tonight I ain't feeling sleepy, no stress or harsh  anxiety like always but calm, tranquille, ideas in order, I am improving according to my parents & sister, though he change so much for the better , he more enrgitical, do all his shore do more , all spic & spam at his place, there real proud of me, I feel flatter, but to evolve for me his a progressive, there is never enough you can't learn, put disciple in your daily life menu now , I do Cycling at dawn when sun rise, it's the prettiest moment I picture the sky at a local parc and  darn I drive my bycicle around the circuit of cycling, like it because no one there only fews solitaire, building up stamina, reinforcing cardio, sport in the end or exercize. for an one-two hour(s) depend on my strengh and depend if I am fully wake up the morning not lethargic. I press two vynil 33 LP this month expecting them inlate July or August, work hard on these project mixing, studio stuff, it was long, Rome was not built in one day ya Know. I order a T-shirt for my noise-metal/Hard Skronk-rock overdrive, And I design my t-shirt to a compagny, seem rad.

Minus Parenthesis on how I'm feeling now , Happy for once, I hope it last and not stress or anxious to death, I am under control, I return posting  head up high, shoulder straight up, a man stand up on is legs straight up chin high, proud not showing up to  impress crowd, but what are my limit I test them, learn Temperance in worst situation i a good idea, reflexion, cal, so now Feeling Better and that it, I regret if in the past I were crank up,  idiots did  evil/vile things to me psychological ya know... no comments.

I am listening to my favorite musician of 15th century , focus on him the great Flemish Master Johannes Ockeghem, I like Ockeghem Masses vol 1-2 trough Beauty Farm Fra Bernardo, very good, now I felt tonight to explore a  double album Johannes Ockeghem (the chanson) on Music en Wallonie, direction: Jesse Rodin, ensemble CUT CIRCLE double albums, ya like songs there you have it, but admit I would like the Dufay work better by same ensemble.

[/size][/font][/b][/u]Goodnight Fellas , most people evolve for the best only idiot stay idiots forever refuse to evolve for the better or improve, power up, ya know this Fellas. I made my choice deceided to move on for the best of me not my 100% my 100%+10= 110% like the french verb plus que parfait LOL no kidding 8)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 08:48:16 PM by deprofundis »
My works 26 yrs anniversary noisy hell production on Bandcamp featuring works 4 works whiteout: Hexen! smoke & fire, not on own N.H.P Record ,tell what ya think, need feedback from Students radio-show?:
https://bandcamp.com/baronvonblood lauch private, of Two LP's of WRECKAGE and TOTAL ANNIHILATION

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #40014 on: May 09, 2021, 09:47:59 PM »
Totally agree about your last two musical choices John. The Respighi 'Metamorphoseon' and Glazunov's 8th Symphony are two of their finest works and in magnificent performances. We don't agree, however, about Suk's 'Asrael' Symphony which I regard as a masterpiece (I especially like performances by Mackerras and Ashkenazy as well as the classic Tallich recording).
Now playing - NYM Symphony No.24 - one of the strongest of the cycle I think:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40015 on: May 09, 2021, 10:55:23 PM »
Maybe I do not search sufficiently, but as far I can see, it's The Sound and the Fury, which recently has released a CD with the title Pierre de la Rue Masses vol. 2, and not Beauty Farm.

Yes, indeed.  :) And I thought TSATF was disbanded - apparently not!

https://frabernardo.com/portfolio-item/la-rue-masses-2-the-sound-and-the-fury/#tab-id-1

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
  • Don't waste your energy trying to convince people.
« Reply #40016 on: May 09, 2021, 11:31:37 PM »
A keeper, or not.

CPE Bach.
Flute Concertos.
CD I.

Concerto in D minor-A minor-A major.

Eckart Haupt, Flute.
Kammerorchester CPE Bach, Hartmut Haenchen.
Christine Schornsheim, Harpsichord.
Recorded in 1985, Christuskirche, Berlin.

Of course these are not authentic performances, but done in a quasi period style. I have grown a little more tolerant of these hybrid performances. Its all tastefully done, no real offences here, save for a bit more legato, but vibrato is tolerably low in the orchestras framework. Sound is excellent.
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #40017 on: May 09, 2021, 11:34:41 PM »
Sibelius violin/piano works from 1884-88.

I know I've tried this music before, none of it is really essential though my recollection is that some bits are better than others. Some of it's a bit fragmentary, but in that respect it's not nearly as bad as certain other albums in the BIS Sibelius series. The earliest work is actually the most substantial, an entire violin sonata (though the inner movements are a lot less interesting than the 1st).
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 11:38:58 PM by Madiel »
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40018 on: May 09, 2021, 11:41:16 PM »
Morning listening:

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #40019 on: May 10, 2021, 12:25:42 AM »
Franz Schmidt: Symphony No.4
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).