What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve ridgway, Peter Power Pop and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

Madiel

Decided that tonight I wanted to throw myself into Sibelius miniatures from the period when he wrote a tonne of them.

Between 1912 and 1919 he wrote:

1. For piano, opp.34, 40, 67, 68, 74, 75, 76, 85 and 94 (the opus numbers for 34 and 40 are completely misleading, as was his way sometimes)

2. For violin and piano, opp.77 (also orchestral version), 78, 79, 80 and 81.

I'm not sure just how many I'll listen to just now, but they'll be from these albums.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Biffo

Grieg: Peer Gynt Op 23 - Excerpts - Halle Orchestra and Ambrosian Singers conducted by Sir John Barbirolli with Patricia Clark & Sheila Armstrong sopranos - not the complete incidental music but more than the two familiar suites

prémont

Quote from: Que on May 09, 2021, 11:55:23 PM
Yes, indeed.  :) And I thought TSATF was disbanded - apparently not!

https://frabernardo.com/portfolio-item/la-rue-masses-2-the-sound-and-the-fury/#tab-id-1

Generally I have considered The Sound and the Fury kind of the poor mans Beauty Farm. But some time ago you wrote, that you think they have improved, so I have taken the chance and ordered their de la Rue CDs.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

aligreto

Beethoven: Piano Sonatas Nos. 1-3 Op. 2 [Bachaus]

Que

Quote from: (: premont :) on May 10, 2021, 04:32:21 AM
Generally I have considered The Sound and the Fury kind of the poor mans Beauty Farm. But some time ago you wrote, that you think they have improved, so I have taken the chance and ordered their de la Rue CDs.

Just to clarify: I think TSATF has been a story of hits and misses, and I believe I mentioned before some of the "hits". :)
I believe there has been change in personel, so I'm not sure where they are now... ::)

The Beauty Farm has also produced a few "duds" (IMO), but is overall more reliable in quality - and to a higher standard.
Their recent DeLa Rue album I can recommend unhesitatingly!

Q

Brahmsian

Cross-posted from the Nielsen thread......

First listen to this recording.  A generous gift to me from John (MI).  Thank you!  ;)

Nielsen

Symphony No. 1, CNW 25

Alan Gilbert, conducting
New York Philharmonic

DACAPO

An energetic, emphatic performance!  :)

Traverso

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on May 10, 2021, 04:40:07 AM
Beethoven: Piano Sonatas Nos. 1-3 Op. 2 [Bachaus]

These are fine recordings,I have the same box. :)

aligreto

Hummel: Trumpet Concerto in E flat [Balsom]

The slow movement is a particularly fine piece of writing.

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on May 10, 2021, 05:50:02 AM

These are fine recordings,I have the same box. :)

Cheers, Jan. I look forward to making my way through it.

Papy Oli

Earlier on, re-trying some Roussel via the Martinon box in the background:

Bacchus & Ariane
Le Festin de l'Araignée
Petite Suite
Symphony No.2

Olivier

Brahmsian

Quote from: Stürmisch Bewegt on May 09, 2021, 07:09:47 AM
The eagle has landed (oops, that remark may not have been in the best of taste...).  Anyway, rec'd at last my Cantelli box and have begun my listening with, of course, his Franck symphony, which I esteem beyond all other performances of it.  This will occupy me for some time.  I was struck when - looking over the repertoire covered therein - how 'warhorsey' the sum total of his recordings were, with just a coupla exceptions.  Unsure if that reflects his labels' commercial intent or his or both... I can say I really hate it when Sirènes is dropped from recordings of Debussy's Nocturnes as here.

Really?  You mean, surpassing Monteux/Chicago Symphony 1961 recording?  :o :o

steve ridgway

Internationale Ferienkurse Für Neue Musik 1946-1996 Vol. 1 from archive.org. Hope I've spent hours cataloguing it all for something worthwhile. :-\

Mirror Image

NP:

Gershwin
Three Piano Preludes
Peter Jablonski

Papy Oli

A change of scenery and a first listen :

De Falla - El Sombrero de tres picos

Olivier

Karl Henning

Takemitsu
Requiem
Tokyo Metro Orchestra
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

NP:

Bruckner
Symphony No. 5 In B-flat, WAB 104
Concertgebouw
Haitink

bhodges

A very fine live performance of Schreker's Prelude to a Drama from the American Youth Symphony and conductor Carlos Izcaray, recorded at UCLA's Royce Hall in October 2016. Inspiring to see this score done so beautifully by younger musicians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVb-WZVBvUQ

--Bruce

Irons

Quote from: kyjo on May 09, 2021, 11:26:27 AM
It's a complex work, and definitely one that repays repeated listening. I didn't like it that much the first time I listened, but upon revisiting it I realized its mastery and emotional depth. Following along with a score revealed to me the genius and subtlety of Suk's orchestration. I particularly recommend the Ashkenazy/Helsinki PO recording on Ondine.

Sadly unable to read music which puts me at disadvantage. The fault entirely rests with me not Suk, a composer I admire.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Sergeant Rock

Haydn Symphony No. 21 in A major and Symphony No. 24 in D major, Adam Fischer conducting the Austro-Hungarian Haydn Orch

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"