Symphony № 1 in E, Op. 5
BBC National Orchestra of Wales
Tadaki Otaka
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mandryka

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 14, 2021, 06:42:26 AM
Mozart, WA - String Quartets w/ Klenke Quartett - 5 disc set of Wolfie's last 10 'Mature' SQs; reviews attached w/ Dubins going bonkers!  Excellent bargain for $30 USD on Amazon USA.  Dave :)

Lovely slick sweet tuneful playing, not without urgency and edginess, very well recorded. Even in music I normally find hard (like the first movement of the Hunt) these people manage to make me enjoy the music. A great success I think.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

ritter

This new acquisition:

The more I get to know André Caplet's music, the less I like it.  ::)

These pieces for wind instruments are well constructed, but I find them rather uninspired, simultaneously contrived and kitschy, and completely inconsequential.

Tsaraslondon

These are archived BBC recordings from differeny times in Arrau's career. The Beethoven sonatas were recorded at a conert at the Royal Festival Hall in 1985, when Arrau would have been 82. Occasionally he comes a little unstuck and there are a few fluffs, it is true, but he is still a great Beethovenian.

The Schumann was recorded in 1961 and finds him in better form technically, though the recording itself leaves a little to be desired, somewhat boomy and ill defined. Still, Arrau is in thrilling form.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

vandermolen

William Alwyn: Symphony No.1 (BBC SO, Barbirolli)
My two favourite Alwyn symphonies on one CD, in fine historical (1952/1953) performances:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

Disc one.

Herrmann's way with movie music is unbelievable. Contrary to Max Steiner's all-purpose romanticism/heroism, Herrmann creates an entirely original sound world for each film. Going from The Day the Earth Stood Still to Fahrenheit 451 , then to Gulliver's Travels is to have a unique experience each time. And what is one to say of the incredible sounds he creates for Journey to the Centre of the Earth? Jules Vernes would have been very, very happy.

Brahmsian

Quote from: André on May 14, 2021, 10:39:18 AM

Disc one.

Herrmann's way with movie music is unbelievable. Contrary to Max Steiner's all-purpose romanticism/heroism, Herrmann creates an entirely original sound world for each film. Going from The Day the Earth Stood Still to Fahrenheit 451 , then to Gulliver's Travels is to have a unique experience each time. And what is one to say of the incredible sounds he creates for Journey to the Centre of the Earth? Jules Vernes would have been very, very happy.

Most of the music on your disc I have never heard before there.  But, out of the discs in the Charles Gerhardt box thus far, the Bernard Herrmann disc is my favourite, and in particular, the compelling pieces for "Beneath The 12-Mile Reef" and "White Witch Doctor".

Sergeant Rock

Dvořák Violin Concerto, Mutter, violin, Honeck conducting the Berlin Phil

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Papy Oli

Brahms
Trio for Clarinet, Violoncello and Piano in A minor op. 114

Olivier

Symphonic Addict

Symphony No. 5

This is very exciting, although not devoid of pensive and soulful passages in the style this composer knew how to do.

Symphony No. 2

I didn't recall the inclusion of a harpsichord which provides a significant touch to the music. The intriguing atmosphere throughout appeals to me hugely.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

André

Quote from: OrchestralNut on May 14, 2021, 10:48:07 AM
Most of the music on your disc I have never heard before there.  But, out of the discs in the Charles Gerhardt box thus far, the Bernard Herrmann disc is my favourite, and in particular, the compelling pieces for "Beneath The 12-Mile Reef" and "White Witch Doctor".

No overlap between this album and the Gerhardt box. The Kane selections are different. And yes, the titles you mention are among the best. That being said, disc one of this twofer is also available singly and is the go to if you're interested in more Herrmann:

I have it but went for the double album as I couldn't get disc 2 singly.  :)

Symphonic Addict

Dawson: Negro Folk Symphony
Still: Symphony No. 1 'Afro American'

The most striking symphonies by any Afro American composers IMO. Two assertive performances that do justice to the pieces.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: André on May 14, 2021, 10:39:18 AM

Disc one.

Sounds interesting. I will look for the recording!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Symphonic Addict

Arensky: Piano Trio No. 1

I can't believe I didn't have this work in high esteem before listening to it today. A very memorable work full of lyricism and eloquence, above all in the 3rd movement which was thoroughly poetic and moving. This magnificent performance definitely had to do with my overall impression. A masterpiece.

Noam Chomsky

Daverz

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 14, 2021, 06:23:09 PM
Arensky: Piano Trio No. 1

I can't believe I didn't have this work in high esteem before listening to it today. A very memorable work full of lyricism and eloquence, above all in the 3rd movement which was thoroughly poetic and moving. This magnificent performance definitely had to do with my overall impression. A masterpiece.

Trio Wanderer takes the disfiguring cut in the Tchaikovsky that used to be common many decades ago.  Not sure what their excuse is for that now.

Some really great listening going on out there today.

Following Hurwitz's latest video, the Dvorak  7 and Bartok MSP&C from this set:

The Bartok is a smoking performance.

And now another conductor set:

This has the wonderful Martinu Symphony No. 4 that is an old GMG favorite.  But it's followed here with a Martinu piece that is totally new to me, the Concertino for Cello, Winds, Percussion & Piano in C minor, H. 143, a rather raucous work, though brief.  Andre Navarra is the cellist.

SimonNZ

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 13, 2021, 08:24:46 AM
Nielsen
Fl Cto FS 119
Cl Cto FS 129

Hindemith
Vn Cto

Julius Baker, fl
Stanley Drucker, cl
Isaac Stern, vn
NY Phil
Lenny

Had to listen to this disc again, not least because I don't know that I had ever heard the Hindemith before.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Selections from this recording:

Overall, I love Strauss' lieder, but I think there's an inconsistency in this Hyperion cycle that keeps me from giving high marks across the board. Several of the vocalists throughout the series aren't pleasing to my ears or feel right in this music. I may have to explore some other options.

Karl Henning

First-Listen Fridays meet Myaskovsky Madness:

Courtesy of our Jeffrey

Alastor (Symphonic Poem after Shelley), Op. 14 (1929)
Svetlanov & al.

Listened to this twice, actually.  It is rich ... I am not done with it.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA