What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Carlo Gesualdo

Hello and goodnight, I'm listening to Lassus on NON-SUCH Prophetiea Sybillarum, one of the greatest perhaps because it analogue but I have three LP of this Das Alte Werk, Musique enWallonie, too , hmm hmm LP.

More importently deprofundis is BACH I download couple of J.S BACH, mega giga recordings first on Brilliant Classics - J.S BACH complete edition vol. 1-10 - this is 294 tracks of concerto, that not all...on BIS The complete Organ vol.3  and finally: Concerto for three & four Harpsicords

Mirror Image

NP:

Sibelius
En Saga, Op. 9
Royal Stockholm Philharmonic
Sir Andrew Davis

For those can find it, this is a great series of reissues that were from the Finlandia label (now long defunct). This series main feature is Jukka-Pekka Saraste's Live in St. Petersburg symphony cycle with the Finnish RSO. Also featured are wonderful couplings on most of these reissues. Definitely worth hunting down.

steve ridgway

Gérard Grisey - Le Temps Et L'Écume.

Carlo Gesualdo

Quote from: Que on May 14, 2021, 10:32:15 PM
Morning listening:

[asin]B07F39CVGJ[/asin]
Motetti

http://www.musica-dei-donum.org/cd_reviews/Ricercar_RIC392.html

Hello dear QUE real nice did not knew this existed , Arcadelt is among my favorite  Franco-Flemish polyphony good Morning , I am goeing cyclinh at Dawn whit all the marveleous  spectrum of color in the sky, taking photo at local park  and, ridding my Horse (bicycle). Have a nice day buddy!  :)
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2018/Oct/Arcadelt_vocal_RIC392.htm

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 14, 2021, 05:04:42 PM
Sounds interesting. I will look for the recording!

Andre is absoultely right about the uniqueness of Herrmann's sound world (I wouldn't agree with his statement about Steiner by the way but that's another post for another thread!)  My only problem with these particular recordings is they were jewels(?) in Decca's Phase 4 crown.  To say the sound is "garish" is a gentle understatement.  The music is wonderful but I wish it had been given the more sophisticated "Classic Film Scores" treatment!

Que

Tsaraslondon

The Waldstein is my favourite Beethoven Piano Sonata and I just love the way the slow movement segues into that gorgeous flowing theme of the Rondo final movement.

Fabulous performances of all three sonatas by Emil Gilels.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Que

Papy Oli

Good morning all,

Hamilton Harty
Violin Concerto
(Thomson, Ulster Orch.)

Olivier

vandermolen

Alwyn - Symphony No.2 (dedicated to Barbirolli):
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Traverso

Mozart

piano sonatas K.330-K.332-K.333

aligreto

Mendelssohn: String Quintet Op. 87 [Gewandhaus Quartet +]

From the opening bars of the first movement the music is so assured. It is not overly assertive but is very self confident. I like the ruminative section towards the end of the movement. The tone of the second movement is delightful, beguiling and very engaging. The tone of the slow movement is somewhat dark and sombre with an inherent poignancy and longing but without being desolate but it is very intense. The final movement jolts back into life with the opening chord. The music is driven at a good pace with enthusiasm and excitement.

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Harry

Johann Kaspar Kerll.

Delectus Sacrarum Cantionum, München 1669)

Die Grüppe für Alte Musik München,
Ein Instrumental ensemble, Martin Zöbeley.

Beautifully done, well sung, especially by the Sopranos Mona Spägele and Birgit Schönberger, and Eke Rutz as Alto. There are no less then 5 basses in this recording. Absolutely stunning. The Salva Regina is a good example to start, it is the signature for all the music on this disc. Fine Recording.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Papy Oli on May 15, 2021, 01:41:17 AM
Good morning all,

Hamilton Harty
Violin Concerto
(Thomson, Ulster Orch.)

Such a lovely work and really deserving of another recording (not that I have anything but admiration for Ralph Holmes!)

Biffo

Hartmann: Concerto funebre for Violin and String Orchestra - Wolfgang Schneiderhan violin with the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by Rafael Kubelik
Zemlinsky: Psalm 23, Op 34 - SWR Symphony Orchestra Baden-Baden & Freiburg & Slovak Philharmonic Choir, Bratislava conducted by Michael Gielen

Franz Schmidt: Symphony No 3 in A major - Frankfurt Radio Symphony conducted by Paavo Jarvi

Sergeant Rock

Beethoven Piano Sonatas played by András Schiff:

No. 12 A flat major op.26
No. 13 E flat major op.27/1
No. 14 C sharp minor op.27/2 "Moonlight"
No. 15 D major op.28 "Pastorale"

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

ritter

A varied program of Nikos Skalkottas' music (vintage world première recordings of music that's been recorded since—e.g. the Greek Dances—, newer recordings of music that had never been recorded in the versions presented—the two piano reduction of The Return of Odysseus—, or is completely new to the recorded catalogue—):

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on May 15, 2021, 02:44:28 AM
Alwyn - Symphony No.2 (dedicated to Barbirolli):

A game of two halves, Jeffrey. After the mysterious and controlled restlessness of the first part, I was surprised by the second. I did wonder if a similar idea as of Sibelius 2nd Symphony?
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.