What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prémont (+ 1 Hidden) and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

aligreto

Victoria: Missa Pro Victoria [Noone/Ensemble Plus Ultra]

This is simply glorious music to listen to.

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on June 20, 2021, 12:48:27 AM

Fascinating rereading your notes aligreto after listening to the work. I very much agree Boyle's SQ is very well crafted. The first two movements do have a lot to say. During listening I jotted down restless and quite dramatic against the first, with pleading and sad for the second. All a bit serious, but the short, light and scurrying finale is a masterstroke giving the string quartet balance.

If a commercial recording was issued I would purchase, definitely.

I am very pleased that you liked the work Lol. I too would buy a commercial recording of it.

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 20, 2021, 12:57:07 AM
Good morning all,

Biber - Violin sonatas (Manze, North, Toll)

Spreading your wings a bit there, Olivier  ;)  8)
How did you get on with Biber?

Biffo

Schubert: Octet in F, D 803 - Melos Ensemble

Madiel

Haydn, Piano trio no.14, Hob.XV:f1

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Roasted Swan

Listening to the great Neville Dilkes' recording of the Moeran Symphony I was rather disturbed to realise that on retiring from the conductors' podium he became Prime Minister.........

vers la flamme

Nikolai Kapustin: Piano Sonata No.1, op.39, "Sonata-Fantasia". Steven Osborne

I love this work, and this recording. Kapustin's music ingeniously synthesizes the Russian pianist-composer school of Scriabin, Rachmaninov etc with jazz-inspired language. It's too bad that it took his death last year for me to have discovered his music. Rest in peace.

Madiel

Pejacevic, Blütenwirbel op.45 (something like 'Whirl of blossoms')

Short, but impressive.

Sufficiently short that I might go on to the 2 Nocturnes, op.50.

EDIT: And the first nocturne is excellent. Nearly every new piece reinforces my feeling that Pejacevic wrote better piano miniatures than a lot of better-known composers.

SECOND EDIT: The second nocturne is as good a piece of hushed, half-toned impressionism as you could wish for. Gorgeous.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Madiel

Myaskovsky, opuses 7 (Madrigal) and 8 (3 sketches for voice and piano)

The wonders of streaming for exploration of repertoire...

vers la flamme

Alfred Schnittke: Symphony No.4. Okko Kamu, Stockholm Sinfonietta, Uppsala Academic Chamber Choir

Good music for a rainy morning. Keyboards are prominent in this work, piano and harpsichord alike, and vocals are featured. I haven't quite figured out what Schnittke is all about, though I enjoy some of his music greatly. This appears to be one of his more singular and more successful works. I still can't make heads or tails of, say, the first symphony, which I also have on CD, the BIS recording.

Que

Biffo

Schubert: String Quartet No 13 in A minor D 804 Rosamunde - Alban Berg Quartett

Harry

New acquisition, first listen,

Sergei Bortkiewicz.
Piano Music.
CD I.

Trois Morceaux, opus 24.
Ein Roman, opus 35.
Trois Morceaux, opus 6.
Sonata No. 2, opus 60.

Klaas Trapman, Piano.

Its a riddle to me, why this composer was never approached by my curiosity, but finally I managed to buy this beautiful set with six CD'S, filled with music that makes my heart all warm and fuzzy. I love his music as much as I do Chopin. It has the same feel for me, and I am drawn into the emotion as soon as the music plays. Every piece a gem and invites repeated listening, which I will do. As a surprise came the third movement of the sonata No. 2, "Andante misericordioso", towards the end you will hear the Russian Orthodox melody, of "Christ has risen from the dead", which moved me greatly.
Klaas Trapman was a big unknown to me, but he makes a convincing case for this composer, and his technique is of a high quality. He clearly understands Bortkiewicz very deeply, for I find no fault his his playing or interpretation. Recommended.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Madiel

Dvorak, 2 Evening Songs, op.9 (part of B.61)

Harry

Marin Marais.

CD III.
Suite in E minor. Continuo: Theorbo, Bass viol.
Suite in E major. Continuo: Harpsichord.

Deuxieme Livre de Pieces de Viole.
Pieces a une et Deux Violes, Premier Livre (1686)

Francois Joubert Caillet, Bass Viol.
L'Acheron.

For me this is a success story, no matter which disc you play of all the three boxes I have, its always the same authority and intrinsic approach that makes me almost jubilant. His thoughtful playing invites for contemplation and ultimate Zen moments. His attention to detail is remarkable, and he blends well with his fellow musicians. This is a perfect musical dinner, with excellent wines. Sound is top notch.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

steve ridgway

Ligeti - Piano Concerto. I think I've collected enough really enjoyable music now to cull some of the also rans. This one is staying, I like all the busy superimposed patterns. Losers so far from this box are Mysteries Of The Macabre, Concert Românesc, Síppal, Dobbal, Nádihegedüvel: Weöres Sándor Verseire, Baladă Şi Joc (Ballad And Dance) After Romanian Folksongs, The Big Turtle Fanfare From The South China Sea.

SonicMan46

Quote from: aligreto on June 20, 2021, 02:18:54 AM
Victoria: Missa Pro Victoria [Noone/Ensemble Plus Ultra]

This is simply glorious music to listen to.

1+ - have not listened to that in years! Must correct - Dave

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on June 20, 2021, 04:41:09 AM

Hat-tip Dave aka SonicMan!  :)

Glad that you're enjoying him! Dave

Undersea

Now Playing:

Bartok: Dance Suite, SZ 77

Talking about stuff which hasn't been listened to yet I put this on - For a Dance Suite the Music is mostly quite dark and evil: I like it. :D