The usual musical lunch:

Very nice!  :)

Papy Oli

JS Bach - 'Es ist dir gesagt, Mensch, was gut ist' BWV 45
Karl Richter

Olivier

Que

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 28, 2021, 08:59:11 AM
Taking Que's Telemann lead, pulled a mixture of discs for the afternoon - Dave :)

Nice going!  :)  As you know, I'm a big Oberlinger fan and that's a gemm of a disc.

The Ponseele and Kuijken go on the list.  8)

DavidW

Bach organ works-- Koopman
Bach cantatas-- Koopman

cd 4 i.e. the organ sonatas for one, cd 5 for the other

The organ works a bit disappointed.  One of my favorite works (organ sonata #4) is on that cd and he did a good job, but it wasn't transcendent like my favorite recording of the second movement here:

And there are a few great sets of the organ sonatas that I prefer over Koopman.  Not saying it was bad, just not revelatory.

Madiel

Listening to Beethoven dances.

WoO 42 for violin and piano turned out to be super short. Now on to WoO 13 and WoO 11, both of which were for orchestra but only the piano version survives (there are later reorchestrations).
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

vandermolen

Malcolm Arnold: Philharmonic Concerto.
I'm pleased to have another recording of John McCabe's 'The Chagall Windows as well.

PS I'm now on to The Chagall Windows and, good as James Loughran's recording with the Hallé Orchestra was, this more recent recording, with Bernard Haitink and the LPO, allows so much more orchestral detail to be heard and has the urgency of a live recording.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Madiel

I left Debussy in the lurch months ago when I was exploring chronologically. Time to get back to him.

3 Poèmes de Mallarmé

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Aram Khachaturian, Gayane (revised/expanded version.) Jansug Kakhidze/Moscow Radio SO.

I like the elegance and cuteness of the music though the plot of ballet is a silly propaganda.

Traverso

Leoš Janáček

String Quartet No.2 "Intimate Letters"

Pavel Haas

String Quartet No.2 "From the Monkey Mountains"

Papy Oli

JS Bach - 'Es ist dir gesagt, Mensch, was gut ist' BWV 45
Suzuki

Olivier

Mirror Image

Before heading into work:

Martinů
Ariane, H. 370
Abdellah Lasri, Zoltán Nagy, Tijl Faveyts, Simona Šaturová, Baurzhan Anderzhanov
Essener Philharmoniker
Aalto-Theater Essen Choir soloists
Tomáš Netopil

Papy Oli

JS Bach - 'Es ist dir gesagt, Mensch, was gut ist' BWV 45  (Leonhardt)

JS Bach - Partita No.1 BWV 825 & No.2 BWV 826 (Hewitt)

Olivier

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on July 29, 2021, 01:09:51 AM
Mentioning this cycle - which I knew of, but never actually heard - made me realise I never checked Spotify to see if it was available for streaming.

And so here it is:

Since this is an earlier recording by Van Asperen I was a bit apprehensive that it might be on the "drier" side.
But none of that: this bubbles and sparkles - I love it.  :)

This morning off Spotify, I was listening to Van Asperen and also Patrick Cohen on a fortepiano - believe I like the harpsichords more; have not heard these works played on a modern piano?  Dave :)

Carlo Gesualdo

Listening to one of the best English Polyphony album ever, Ensemble Jachet De Mantoue:  Gentlemen of the Chapel Royal, Latin Church Music.

This CD is screaming awesomeness, you will get some:
Tallis, Sheppard, Parson,  Tye and White, whit there best ever almost motets, the program of this album is tremendiously fantastic, the ensemble is majestic, the direction is super even if the CD date from 2004 it so incredible, felt in love whit it at my first listen.

Ensemble Jachet De Mantoue is stunning label  CALIOPE is the BMW of all the label; before and after. have a great wonderful days Folks.

The new erato

Just listened to quartets by Foss and Bergsma (as well as som other discs from this set previously). What a treasure trove of great American music this set is!

I wonder if the Emersons (or anybody else for that matter) will ever get around to exploring America music (I have their Ives/Barber disc, but AFAIK that is about it)? I mean; instead of endless rehashing of repertoire that is already done to death?

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on July 28, 2021, 10:45:12 PM
Hi Dave, yes, two discs but I listened on Spotify.
Yes, I enjoyed it. Excellent performances, the repertoire was written for a small orchestra - strings and oboes, no brass. Nicely done, but not as eventful as the "grand concertos" series. :)

Classics Today Review

Well, listened to the first disc on Spotify and enjoyed, and looked at the review above - put in a small JPC order which included the Telemann 2-disc recording - will enjoy!  Dave :)

P.S. AND no duplications in my collection (had to do w/ Telemann when I own 50+ CDs!

The new erato

And now for something completely different:

The new erato

Quote from: Papy Oli on July 29, 2021, 07:04:04 AM
JS Bach - 'Es ist dir gesagt, Mensch, was gut ist' BWV 45  (Leonhardt)

A singularly great cantata IMO, which I got to know early on in my Bach explorations.

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on July 29, 2021, 07:18:44 AM
Just listened to quartets by Foss and Bergsma (as well as som other discs from this set previously). What a treasure trove of great American music this set is!

I wonder if the Emersons (or anybody else for that matter) will ever get around to exploring America music (I have their Ives/Barber disc, but AFAIK that is about it)? I mean; instead of endless rehashing of repertoire that is already done to death?

I wouldn't bank on it, erato. It'd be nice if they recorded the Diamond SQs for example. But, yes, their repertoire these days or really for quite some time has been works that have been well-trodden and recorded ad nauseam.

The new erato

I realize I were pretty hypothetical (and not a little bit ironic). But it is really strange how US performers neglect their own music, while lots of European orchestras and ensembles wander down byways of their national repertoire.