What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

English Music for Strings.

Britten, Bliss, Bridge, Berkeley.

Sinfonia of London, John Wilson.
SACD recording.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Biffo

Berlioz: Les nuits d'été – Janet Baker mezzo with the New Philharmonia Orchestra conducted by Sir John Barbirolli  - LP version from 1968. The Warner remasterings for their Barbirolli box set have been generally good but when I listened to this work yesterday I found it horrendous - they seem to have bleached Baker's voice. I had to listen to the LP incarnation today to remember what it should sound like.

Traverso

Britten

CD 5

Continuing  my journey through the Brittten universe ...

Symphonic Suite from 'Gloriana'
Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra, Takuo Yuasa

Cello Symphony
Steven Isserlis, City Of London Sinfonia, Richard Hickox

Men of Goodwill
Minnesota Orchestra, Sir Neville Marriner

Madiel

Szymanowski

4 Songs (from Rabindranath Tagore's "The Garden"), op.41
Songs of the Infatuated Muezzin, op.42

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Artem

Der Turmbau zu Babel Suite for large orchestra (1983/84)
Der Mensch steht im Mittelpunkt for large orchestra (1998/99)

Interesting compositions. These works remind me somewhat of Ligeti's brooding, lurking in the dark music, but more dynamic.

Madiel

Dvorak, Evening songs (set 1)

EDIT: Moving on to Three Modern Greek Poems, from the same album.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Harry

Josef Schelb.
Orchestral Music Volume I.

Movimento 1
Music for Orchestra No. 3 & 4.
Liepaja SO, Paul Mann.
Philharmonie Baden-Baden, Pavel Baleff.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Irons

Quote from: Madiel on August 01, 2021, 11:28:55 PM
Do check out the piano works, I think they're very good. Sinae Lee is the pianist I've sampled the most though there are plenty of others.

If you like "Mythes" then perhaps try the piano works from the same period and with a similar idea - "Metopes" and "Masques".

Noted, thanks.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 31, 2021, 08:50:00 PM
Symphony No. 9

Yet another symphony in E minor tonight. Sounds very late-Romantic in Stokowski's hands, and the kind-of-old sound provides a raw atmosphere that suits the mysterious nature of the piece. Impressive. My favorite VW symphony.

Interesting, Cesar. The 2nd and 6th remain my favorite VW symphonies for the time being but the 9th isn't far behind. A visionary work.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 31, 2021, 09:58:40 PM
Brahms: Symphony No. 4

The last symphony in E minor tonight. I definitely have to admit that this fast performance made much sense to me. The slow movement is not as rushed, though. Brahms's magnum opus as you have never heard it before.

Which recording, Cesar? I can't see the image.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on August 01, 2021, 12:58:40 AM
Barber: Symphony No.1
I enjoy every work on this CD:

Agreed - and such fantastic performances by the orchestra which is comprised of college students!

kyjo

Quote from: Madiel on August 01, 2021, 01:17:17 AM
Saint-Saens

Romance for violin, harp and organ, op.27 - about as syrupy as you could wish for
Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso for violin and orchestra, op.28
Piano Concerto No.3, op.29 - a very odd beginning, and I gather this is the least played of the piano concertos.

Saint-Saëns' 1st and 3rd PCs, in particular, deserve to be played much more often. Lovely and imaginative works.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Madiel on August 01, 2021, 10:25:01 PM
Personal opinion from what I've sampled, the Dux ones aren't necessarily better...

The most appealing Szymanowski song recording I've encountered so far is this one:

But I do suspect it could be the works as much as the recordings. Maybe Szymanowski is a bit much for a mere human voice and piano.

That could very well be the case, Madiel.

kyjo

Quote from: Iota on August 01, 2021, 04:12:43 AM
Here:

Schumann:
Introduction & Allegro Appasionato, Op.92
Introduction and Concert Allegro, Op.134

Neither of these lovely works seem to get much of an airing, but are full of Schumann's characteristic tenderness and bounding energy. Executed splendidly with verve and sensitivity on this 1979 disc by Ashkenazy and Segal.

I love both of those works; indeed, I prefer them to his much more famous Piano Concerto.

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on August 01, 2021, 06:26:47 AM
TD

Saygun: Symphony No.4
I'm grateful for the recent discussion on the forum about this disc. I've always liked Symphony No.1 but, although I bought No.4 when it was first released, I hadn't made much of it before; it's really good, reminding me at times of Shostakovich, Khrennikov's 2nd Symphony and Roussell:

Pounds the table!!

Harry

Fritz Volbach.
Es waren zwei Königskinder, Symphonic Poem, opus 21.
Symphony, opus 33 in B minor.

Sinfonieorchester, Munster, Golo Berg.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Madiel on August 02, 2021, 02:05:45 AM
Grieg, Cello Sonata

My spreadsheet claims it's slightly over 10 years since I last listened to this.  ???

Your spreadsheet makes no claims, it registers fact 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

NP:

Eshpai
Concerto for Orchestra with Solo Trumpet, Piano, Vibraphone & Double Bass (Concerto Grosso)
USSR State SO
Svetlanov

Such a cool work! It starts off sounding like something from Gershwin (but mixed with more hysteria) and then settles into a mournful slower section that is quite beautiful.

foxandpeng

Quote from: Madiel on August 02, 2021, 02:45:56 AM
Holmboe, string quartet no.17 "Mattinata".

Foxandpeng made me do it.

*MWAHAHAHA* ... (ominous thunderclap from B/W movie)
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy