Dvořák
Serenade for Strings in E, Op. 22
Serenade for Winds in d minor, Op. 44
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Iota

Nicholas Ludford: Missa regnum Mundi

The polyphony in this is sublime! What music and what delivery!

Traverso

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

vers la flamme

Jean Sibelius: Symphony No.5 in E-flat major, op.82. Herbert von Karajan, Berlin Philharmonic

Enjoying this more than last time I heard it, but still not my favorite Sibelius 5th. The first movement seems kind of amorphous. It seems he envisioned this work almost as a kind of sequel to the 4th, which is quite unique.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on August 26, 2021, 01:28:19 PM
How do you like the disc?

Hi Dry Brett - I assume that you know this is not a disc - I have several versions of his Iberia which take up 2 discs - this is a box of 9 CDs, so not cheap on the BIS label and you have to want ALL of his piano stuff - I likely will not buy in but?  Dave :)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 26, 2021, 04:05:39 PM
Hi Dry Brett - I assume that you know this is not a disc - I have several versions of his Iberia which take up 2 discs - this is a box of 9 CDs, so not cheap on the BIS label and you have to want ALL of his piano stuff - I likely will not buy in but?  Dave :)

Thank you Dave, I should have imagined that. Do you like his playing? I may want the box.

Madiel

The whole album this time, barring interruptions.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Klavier on August 26, 2021, 05:30:59 PM
I'm listening to it via Qobuz, so it's extremely cheap!  ;) I like it, though it's not my first choice for Iberia. (I prefer Marc-Andre Hamelin, Michael Block, Yoram Ish-Hurwitz, and Alicia de Larrocha.)  Some of his playing is a little too staccato for my taste, but I suppose he's trying to emphasize certain voices.

Thank you. I am seriously interested. Btw, I like the old recording below. The sound quality is not good, but there is an aura in the recording.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on August 26, 2021, 05:08:50 PM
Thank you Dave, I should have imagined that. Do you like his playing? I may want the box.

Well, I just have a couple sets of the 2-disc Iberia - have not heard much else nor any of the BIS offering, so sorry cannot provide an opinion - maybe the OP of the box can make some comments?  However, just saw that this box (10 1/2 hours total!) is available on Spotify - so I'll take a listen.  Dave :)

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Klavier on August 26, 2021, 06:58:18 PM
I like his music--it's powerful but not utterly unmelodic.

One of my favorite Aho discs. The Piano Concerto No. 1 made a strong impression on me, particularly. It has a sort of otherworldly atmosphere.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 25, 2021, 07:31:32 PM
Revisiting this work:

Gubaidulina
Alleluja
Danish National Radio Choir
Copenhagen Boys' Choir
Danish National Radio Symphony Orchestra
Kitayenko

Man...such an impressive work. Cesar, what are you waiting for?!?!?

I do want to hear it, but I'm not in a hurry.  ;)
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: ultralinear on August 26, 2021, 01:04:54 PM

The Adagio, Horn Concerto and Threnody were recorded at a concert I attended in 2015 - and they were great (and still are) - but what really sticks in the memory is the revelatory performance of Shostakovich's 6th Symphony in the 2nd half.  Which hasn't been released on disk :( - so I am substituting this equally fine recording:

This is probably my go-to version of the 6th (not only for sentimental reasons.)

Sweet! A great program.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on August 26, 2021, 07:14:10 PM
One of my favorite Aho discs. The Piano Concerto No. 1 made a strong impression on me, particularly. It has a sort of otherworldly atmosphere.

I didn't care for this concerto. In fact, I don't like either of Aho's piano concerti. It just went in one ear and out the other. He's better with wind instruments and odd instruments like the theremin for example. This is just my own feeling about his concerti in general.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on August 26, 2021, 07:16:06 PM
I do want to hear it, but I'm not in a hurry.  ;)

I'll probably have heard this work for the third time by the time you get around to it. ;)

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on August 26, 2021, 07:03:32 AM
I am aware of your advocacy of Arnell's 3rd Symphony, Jeffrey. I have had a quick look at the Dutton website and it is still available, the 5th no longer. Dutton is not a label that believes in having their issues available in the long term. I have the 1st and 6th from the same source also Arnell's string quartets again from Dutton.
I think that you'd like Arnell's 3rd Symphony Lol. Arnell's mother was killed during the Blitz on London. Arnell was unable to get back from the USA. I think that a lot of this experience impacted on the symphony - along with the Stanley Bate it's one of my favourite Dutton releases.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 26, 2021, 07:14:27 AM
Diamond Symphony No. 2, Schwarz conducting the Seattle

Sarge
A great Delos release! Two fine symphonies in excellent performances, although Bernstein's recording of the 4th Symphony is very special.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: "Harry" on August 26, 2021, 07:32:10 AM
Modest Mussorgsky.

Pictures at an Exhibition.
Orchestrated by Henry Wood.

BBC National Orchestra of Wales, Francois Xavier Roth.

Jeffrey kindly sent me an BBC review magazine, with an interview with Ruth Gipps in it, and attached to that magazine was an CD, with the above composition that made me sit upright, for it is quite different as compared to the original, and amazingly creatively done. I enjoyed it immensely, and will listen soon again to amongst the rest to The Ballet of the unhatched Chicks :)
Thank you Jeffrey for this gesture, I appreciate it very much.
It was my pleasure Harry. I thought that you'd like the Henry Wood orchestration of 'Pictures at an Exhibition' - in some ways I prefer it to the over-familiar Ravel version, which I've known since childhood. It is not so polished as the Ravel orchestration but has an authenticity and directness which makes it sound more  'Russian' I believe. Glad you enjoyed it anyway. It is one of my favourite BBC Music Magazine cover discs.
That version is also available here:

Harry

Quote from: vandermolen on August 26, 2021, 10:13:38 PM
It was my pleasure Harry. I thought that you'd like the Henry Wood orchestration of 'Pictures at an Exhibition' - in some ways I prefer it to the over-familiar Ravel version, which I've known since childhood. It is not so polished as the Ravel orchestration but has an authenticity and directness which makes it sound more  'Russian' I believe. Glad you enjoyed it anyway. It is one of my favourite BBC Music Magazine cover discs.
That version is also available here:

Good morning Jeffrey. Yes I have my eye on this Lyrita disc, when I stumbled over it looking for the cover of the BBC Mag CD.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

vandermolen

Quote from: "Harry" on August 26, 2021, 10:35:00 PM
Good morning Jeffrey. Yes I have my eye on this Lyrita disc, when I stumbled over it looking for the cover of the BBC Mag CD.
Good morning Harry. Yes, I think that you'd like the Lyrita disc too - certainly I really enjoyed it, not least for Debussy's 'Sunken Cathedral' as well as the Mussorgsky.