CD 20:

ΑΓΩΝ
Canticum sacrum
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

kyjo

Quote from: aligreto on September 11, 2021, 05:17:31 AM
Barber: Toccata Festiva Op. 36 [Alsop]

Glad to see you've been enjoying this disc - it contains some wonderful music in fine performances.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Papy Oli

Buxtehude - Sacred Cantatas.

Loving this.

Olivier

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 13, 2021, 08:00:07 AM
Two of my favorite pieces of music period.

Αγών is a beauty as is Canticum sacrum.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 13, 2021, 08:02:33 AM
Αγών is a beauty as is Canticum sacrum.

Pure ear-joy!

TD:

CD 24

Mendelssohn
Sinfonia № 8 in D
Sinfonia № 9 in C
Sinfonia № 10 in b minor
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Several boxes (JPC & Amazon) arrived today - first two recordings up for a listen shown below:

Gibbons, Orlando - Keyboard Works w/ John Toll on harpsichord and organ.

Savall, Jordi - Viol Music by Abel, Bach, Marais, & Sainte-Colombe et al - two viols used: 1) Bass viol, 7-string by Barak Norman, London, 1697; and 2) Lyra Viol, 6-string by Pellegrino Zanetti, Venice, 1550.

bhodges

Revisiting this concert from Friday. Though the premiere by Felipe Lara was my main reason for tuning in, hearing all eight of Dvořák's Op. 46 Slavonic Dances was a total treat. Susanna Mälkki and the orchestra were on fire.

https://www.helsinkikanava.fi/en/web/helsinkikanava/player/event/view?eventId=118793370&fbclid=IwAR1xrc5en6iqyY_48RLhZElu7OzEm87av39T38FUN6VX4zFejzPBudlgLrM

--Bruce

Mirror Image

First-Listen Monday -

Vasks
Oboe Concerto
Albrecht Mayer, oboe
Latvian National SO
Andris Poga

André

Disc 2. Excellent. I love the depth of sound of Belder's instrument, with its clean, powerful bass notes.

André

Last winter I bought this disc for a pittance, not knowing what to expect. It mixes orchestral and chamber music featuring instruments from the clarinet family (clarinet, bass clarinet and english horn) as well as a string trio. Schelb's dates are 1894-1977, the works on display were written over 5 decades and cover styles ranging from late romanticism to a conservative use of dodecaphonism (« the twelve-note technique is expanded expressively to form generous lines and arches of melody »). Influences quoted in the booklet are Ravel, Debussy and Reger. I do not hear the spicy neo-classicism of Hindemith, his contemporary. Schelb writes with a keen ear for sonorities and balances. He is essentially a melodist, but his musical phrases and paragraphs are cogent, lucid, to the point. He never gets lost in regerian thickets. I will certainly invest in the Toccata releases Harry enthused about recently, despite the duplications involved.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 13, 2021, 08:44:42 AM
First-Listen Monday -

Vasks
Oboe Concerto
Albrecht Mayer, oboe
Latvian National SO
Andris Poga

Absolutely gorgeous. Now playing again.

kyjo

Quote from: The new erato on September 12, 2021, 01:53:39 AM
Being a good boy I finally got around to this:

In my favor; I have been away on vacation and returned withe the beginning of av heavy cold......

Excellent! What did you think?
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 13, 2021, 08:44:42 AM
First-Listen Monday -

Vasks
Oboe Concerto
Albrecht Mayer, oboe
Latvian National SO
Andris Poga

This disc looks like a must-hear for me!

MusicTurner

Quote from: The new erato on September 13, 2021, 06:59:18 AM

A treasure trove of a set. After listening to most of the modern stuff I have been working my way backwards somewhat randomly, now playing disc 9; Haydn nos 27-30.

The Rochberg/Baker/Rorem trios CD is great, I think.

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on September 13, 2021, 11:50:02 AM
This disc looks like a must-hear for me!

I'm sure you'll enjoy it, too, Kyle.

MusicTurner

Quote from: aukhawk on September 13, 2021, 02:21:02 AM
A few weeks ago in the New Releases thread, this image came in for a bit of criticism:

So - to answer that question in this case -
"The album's artwork is specially created by the internationally renowned graphic artist and book designer Christoph Niemann, who regularly illustrates for "The New Yorker" and "The New York Times". His illustration for "On DSCH" offers a playfully abstract counterpart to this musical experience."  (quoted frrom Presto's website)

There's a slight hint at early 20th Russian/Soviet avantgarde painting too, including later, ~figurative Malevich. I don't find it attractive, however.

The new erato

Quote from: kyjo on September 13, 2021, 11:46:44 AM
Excellent! What did you think?

I think I slightly preferred the Psalmo. And references to midperiod/late Stravinsky is highly relevant, and high praise in my book!