Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 14, 2021, 08:21:14 AM
An intergalactic program of my own creation:

Holst: The Planets

-Intermission-

Ligeti: Atmosphères
Penderecki: Kosmogonia
Langgaard: Sfærernes Musik ("Music of the Spheres")

From these recordings:

That looks like a fun programming!  Inspired to create it after listening to your Star Wars set?  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 14, 2021, 09:28:54 AM
That looks like a fun programming!  Inspired to create it after listening to your Star Wars set?  :)

PD

I wasn't listening to the Star Wars soundtracks. ;) And, no, sometimes I just like to do fun things like devise programs centered around a theme.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 14, 2021, 10:17:23 AM
I wasn't listening to the Star Wars soundtracks. ;) And, no, sometimes I just like to do fun things like devise programs centered around a theme.
Sorry, I was confusing sci-fi with fantasy (Lord of the Rings) in terms of what I had recalled that you had listened to recently.  And probably also due to your recent purchases threads (John Williams music).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 14, 2021, 10:27:47 AM
Sorry, I was confusing sci-fi with fantasy (Lord of the Rings) in terms of what I had recalled that you had listened to recently.

PD

No worries. Also, both Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings couldn't be any more different from each other stylistically as well.

Traverso

vandermolen

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 14, 2021, 07:19:15 AM
First movement of David Diamond Symphony No 3. Surprisingly convulsive.

That was my listening quota for the day, seems like this will be interesting.
It's a great symphony and Romeo and Juliet is a lovely work.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Brian

I had 10 minutes to stream some music before a meeting and put on a few tracks of this.

After the meeting, I listened to the rest. This is just totally gorgeous, unexpectedly wonderful. Respighi's original songs are lovely impressionistic romantic little gems that you'll like if you like Ravel or anyone similar. Ian Bostridge's qualities are well-known, but Saskia Giorgini gets a lot of chances to show her artistry, too, never more so than in the most surprising collection of songs - a group of Scottish folk songs set and sung in English! - where Bostridge sings more or less the original folk tune while Giorgini is given all sorts of fun, colorful, lively accompanying lines. It's a little distracting to understand the cheesy old-timey lyrics about saying farewell to the mountains or enjoying a bagpiper playing a reel, but focus on the piano and there's a lot to love. The other songs alternate between Italian and French, and I'm blessedly ignorant of the words so I can enjoy the pure decadence of the sounds.

Traverso

Richard Strauss

Eine Alpensinfonie op.64
Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestre
Zubin Mehta

Metamorphosen
Wiener Philharmoniker
Christoph von Dohnányi

ritter

First listen to this recent acquisition:

That I can remember, I hadn't ever heard a single note of Kodály's piano music. So far, so good (very good, actually).

The disc contains the Nine Pieces, op. 3, the Meditation on a Theme by Debussy, the Valsette, the Seven Pieces, op. 11, and the Dances of Marosszék (which I did know in the orchestral version).

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: kyjo on September 14, 2021, 06:50:26 AM
I love this work! That lyrical interlude that occurs about a minute into the first movement just melts my heart every time. I was recently listening to this excellent recording:

That's exactly how I feel. I like the Naxos disc as well, and I like various recordings with the conductor.

listener

John FOULDS:  3 Suites for Orchestra  Ondine op. 3, Chinese op. 95, Miuniature op.38
2 Kashmiri Boat Songs, a Csardas etc
BBC Concert Orch    Ronald Corp, cond.
not to be taken seriosly
MESSIAEN: Et exspecto resurrectionem mortuiorium
Le tombeau resplendissant     Hymne
Orchestre National de Lyon      Jun Märkl, cond.
sounds splendid, but to me sounds silly.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Mirror Image

NP:

Vasks
Violin Concerto, "Tālā gaisma"
Gidon Kremer, violin
Kremerata Baltica

Mirror Image

NP:

Vasks
String Quartet No. 3
Spīķeru String Quartet

bhodges

Watching this again, from the opening night concert of the Helsinki Philharmonic with Susanna Mälkki. I can't recall hearing all eight of Dvořák's Slavonic Dances (Op. 46) in one sitting. Was a little afraid it might be too much of a good thing, but no -- enormously entertaining. The new Double Concerto that follows, from composer Felipe Lara, is also quite engaging, for completely different reasons.

https://www.helsinkikanava.fi/fi/web/helsinkikanava/player/event/view?eventId=118793370

--Bruce

Mirror Image

NP:

Silvestrov
Symphony No. 4 for strings & brass
The Ural Philharmonic Orchestra, Yekaterinenburg
Andrej Borejko

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on September 14, 2021, 12:42:17 PM
First listen to this recent acquisition:

That I can remember, I hadn't ever heard a single note of Kodály's piano music. So far, so good (very good, actually).

The disc contains the Nine Pieces, op. 3, the Meditation on a Theme by Debussy, the Valsette, the Seven Pieces, op. 11, and the Dances of Marosszék (which I did know in the orchestral version).

Lovely, Rafael. I've been meaning to resume my exploration of Kodály's music, but I keep getting sidetracked. A good night to you.

classicalgeek

On a Berg Violin Concerto listening binge (all on Spotify):

For me, the clear winner is Mutter... she plays with a passion and intensity that the others don't quite match, fine though they are. And it goes without saying that the Chicago Symphony plays extremely well. I was impressed with Steinbacher, though she could be a bit cool in places; the WDR Symphony is every bit the equal of Chicago. Stern is excellent, of course, though the orchestra didn't stand out as much. Only Kremer left me wanting more, although his interpretation had its high points (a shattering climax in the second movement, with great timpani.) For me, I listen for the orchestra as much as the violinist - Berg is an absolute genius in this regard!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Symphonic Addict

Honegger

String Quartet No. 2
Symphony No. 4 Deliciae Basiliensis

The 2nd SQ is an authentic masterpiece. The 2nd movement is a real stunner unto itself. What a work.

This performance of the Symphony No. 4 opened my ears to this bucolic and pleasant work. Even though the work has a quite notable merry mood, one does feel a sense of nostalgic and longing along the notes.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Roasted Swan on September 14, 2021, 06:11:14 AM
I was hugely impressed some years ago by New Zealand composer Anthony Richie's Symphony No.4 "Stations" written in the aftermath of the 2011 earthquakes that hit Christchurch.  Born of the covid pandemic Ritchie has returned to symphonic form with his 5th Symphony "Childhood".  I find it another really engaging, interesting, accessible and impressive piece  The CD is beautifully produced and sounds superb but rather wonderfully the entire work can be streamed for free from here;

https://rattle.co.nz/catalogue/releases/symphonyno5childhood

For sure "Stations" is the more profound and powerful work but "Childhood" is supremely effective in its own way.  Don't expect gentle little ditties - the artwork which is charming does suggest something slighter than the work proves to be.  This is not complex music that the listener has to intellectually wrestle with but at the same time it rewards repeated and focussed listening - skillfully scored, musically memorable - I've enjoyed it a lot!

Quite interesting, RS. I'll investigate about it. Thanks.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky