Author Topic: What are you listening 2 now?  (Read 1731421 times)

k a rl h e nn i ng and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Mostly Austro-Germanic and Soviet/Russian repertoire
Re: What are you listening 2 now?
« Reply #49460 on: September 14, 2021, 08:08:42 PM »
Maybe it's due to you're more used to his "rhythmic" side? And yes, that SQ blows me away whenever I listen to it.

Well, I just don’t find the music to be too interesting, tbh. The 2nd and 3rd remain my favorites of his five symphonies.
"When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something." - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #49461 on: September 14, 2021, 08:50:03 PM »
Last for the night:

Penderecki
The Dream of Jacob
Royal Stockholm PO
Penderecki
"When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something." - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #49462 on: September 14, 2021, 10:26:54 PM »
Sauguet: Mélodie concertante for Cello and Orchestra, written for Rostropovich - a very nice discovery, reminding me of  cello works by Bloch, Kabalevsky and Honegger at times.
Added later - this is a most impressive work, lyrical and moving in places. It lasts for 22 minutes and Sauguet worked on it for a year. This is a live recording from Moscow in 1964 with Sauguet conducting the USSR Symphony Orchestra. The Britten, with Britten himself conducting the Moscow PO is recorded in the same year. I would imagine that cello enthusiasts like Kyle (Kyjo) would find this to be of interest. At times Sauguet's excellent 'Expiatoire' Symphony came to mind as well. I've had to repeat the Sauguet work as I enjoyed it very much.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 11:00:04 PM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49463 on: September 14, 2021, 11:13:25 PM »

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #49464 on: September 15, 2021, 12:18:20 AM »
Stenhammar: Symphony No.2
A marvellous recording, which has restored my faith in this work.

Review:

'Like father, like son? Not a bit of it. Enthusiasts will recall that Paavo Järvi's indefatigable dad, Neeme, has already given us two distinguished versions of the magnificent Second Symphony and endearing Excelsior! overture (on BIS and DG, both with the Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra) as well as the world premier recording of the haunting (and inexplicably discarded) "Reverenza" from the utterly enchanting Serenade (BIS). Fortunately, his son's intelligent new interpretations possess such a refreshing individuality that they complement rather than displace those earlier versions. If Neeme takes the more consistently warm-hearted view of this music (some of the most glorious Sweden has ever produced), Paavo's distinctive, frequently provocative direction brings with it ample portions of food for thought, as well as textures of fascinating, X-ray clarity. A generous and diligent survey, this, very well engineered and nimbly played by the Royal Stockholm Philharmonic. And to have a singer of the calibre of Anne Sofie von Otter in the two lovely Op. 4 songs is luxury indeed. --Andrew Achenbach'

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Iota

• Veteran member
« Reply #49465 on: September 15, 2021, 01:13:47 AM »

Schumann: Liederkreis Op.24 & Op.36

Christian Gerhaher (baritone), Gerold Huber (piano)

Gerhaher richly eloquent as ever, and the unerringly fine Huber as always an essential part of the expressive whole, am really fond of this duo. Hearing the two cycles consecutively certainly favours the Op.36 for me, it hits peaks of dizzying loveliness that are slightly higher, but both contain moments of great penetration and beauty. I also find the cover portrait rather striking, but alas as am streaming for now, haven't been able to establish its provenance.

Somebody on Amazon is very annoyed about this release, and I must say I'm quite in sympathy with them. Viz:

'My grandfather was fond of quoting the proverb 'Don't spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar'. I was reminded of this by Sony's release of Schumann's lieder since it contains no translations of any of the 299 songs featured on these eleven CDs. Most are rarely performed and in some cases translations aren't available elsewhere. Gerhaher is worth crossing continents to hear. He deserves better than this penny-pinching release.'

Online Papy Oli

• Veteran member
« Reply #49466 on: September 15, 2021, 01:52:13 AM »
Continuing a Brahms chamber music exploration, with the String Sextets:

Earlier, Bach BWV 25 (Gardiner)

« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 01:54:04 AM by Papy Oli »
Olivier

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #49467 on: September 15, 2021, 02:19:15 AM »

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #49468 on: September 15, 2021, 02:35:34 AM »
Bach[/B

Suite BWV 1067  (2)
Suite BWV 1069  (4)

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #49469 on: September 15, 2021, 03:12:11 AM »
Gluck

Orfeo ed Eurudice

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #49470 on: September 15, 2021, 03:16:02 AM »
Stenhammar: Symphony No.2
A marvellous recording, which has restored my faith in this work.

Review:

'Like father, like son? Not a bit of it. Enthusiasts will recall that Paavo Järvi's indefatigable dad, Neeme, has already given us two distinguished versions of the magnificent Second Symphony and endearing Excelsior! overture (on BIS and DG, both with the Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra) as well as the world premier recording of the haunting (and inexplicably discarded) "Reverenza" from the utterly enchanting Serenade (BIS). Fortunately, his son's intelligent new interpretations possess such a refreshing individuality that they complement rather than displace those earlier versions. If Neeme takes the more consistently warm-hearted view of this music (some of the most glorious Sweden has ever produced), Paavo's distinctive, frequently provocative direction brings with it ample portions of food for thought, as well as textures of fascinating, X-ray clarity. A generous and diligent survey, this, very well engineered and nimbly played by the Royal Stockholm Philharmonic. And to have a singer of the calibre of Anne Sofie von Otter in the two lovely Op. 4 songs is luxury indeed. --Andrew Achenbach'

Paavo used to have hair?

Schumann: Liederkreis Op.24 & Op.36

Christian Gerhaher (baritone), Gerold Huber (piano)

Gerhaher richly eloquent as ever, and the unerringly fine Huber as always an essential part of the expressive whole, am really fond of this duo. Hearing the two cycles consecutively certainly favours the Op.36 for me, it hits peaks of dizzying loveliness that are slightly higher, but both contain moments of great penetration and beauty. I also find the cover portrait rather striking, but alas as am streaming for now, haven't been able to establish its provenance.

Somebody on Amazon is very annoyed about this release, and I must say I'm quite in sympathy with them. Viz:

'My grandfather was fond of quoting the proverb 'Don't spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar'. I was reminded of this by Sony's release of Schumann's lieder since it contains no translations of any of the 299 songs featured on these eleven CDs. Most are rarely performed and in some cases translations aren't available elsewhere. Gerhaher is worth crossing continents to hear. He deserves better than this penny-pinching release.'

Is that perhaps a modern digital portrait?

I have the 2 individual CDs released in 2018 and 2019.  They're very good. But I also have the Hyperion set of the complete lieder so the full set doesn't tempt me.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Online Papy Oli

• Veteran member
« Reply #49471 on: September 15, 2021, 03:42:53 AM »
JS Bach - BWV 17 & 78 (Gardiner)

Edit: The final chorale of BWV 17 is a thing of absolute beauty.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 03:47:24 AM by Papy Oli »
Olivier

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #49472 on: September 15, 2021, 04:22:38 AM »
Dohnanyi's Sonata in B flat minor for cello and piano and his Ruralia Hungarica for cello and piano from that same Naxos disc from the other day.

PD

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #49473 on: September 15, 2021, 04:40:17 AM »
Stravinsky conducting Threni.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #49474 on: September 15, 2021, 05:05:18 AM »

The ‘Prussian Quartets’, nos 21-23.

Overall this is a distinguished set of the Mozart quartets. I find it a bit smooth, not prone to heights of expressivity, but very polished.

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #49475 on: September 15, 2021, 05:08:22 AM »
Bartok: 1st Violin Sonata.

A concert performance in the Grand Hall of the Moscow Conservatoire.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #49476 on: September 15, 2021, 05:08:57 AM »

Really touchingly naive. Imagine if he's taken a viol consort to Art of Fugue! 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 05:11:51 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #49477 on: September 15, 2021, 05:30:03 AM »
NP:

Penderecki
Piano Concerto, “Resurrection”
Barry Douglas, piano
Warsaw Philharmonic
Wit

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #49478 on: September 15, 2021, 06:06:53 AM »
Froberger

Vol.3

CD 1

Offline OrchestralNut

• Veteran member
  • Krzysztof Penderecki (1933-2020)
« Reply #49479 on: September 15, 2021, 06:08:17 AM »

The ‘Prussian Quartets’, nos 21-23.

Overall this is a distinguished set of the Mozart quartets. I find it a bit smooth, not prone to heights of expressivity, but very polished.

Probably my favourite discs of Mozart that I have, Andre!  :)