Author Topic: What are you listening 2 now?  (Read 1701066 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Jean Sibelius (1865 - 1957)
  • Currently Listening to:
    19th Century through the 21st Century
Re: What are you listening 2 now?
« Reply #49520 on: September 15, 2021, 06:11:42 PM »
Krzysztof Penderecki
Orchestral Works Vol.2
Symphony 5
Antoni Wit
Polish NRSO

First music of the day, and first concentrated hearing of Symphony #5

Nice! 8)
"Humility is society's greatest misconception."

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #49521 on: September 15, 2021, 06:13:01 PM »
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - The Complete Recordings [Disc 3]

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #49522 on: September 15, 2021, 06:22:47 PM »

A knock-out of a performance! This coruscating rendition manages to combine imposing majesty and muscular impetuosity quite succesfully. I think the "moderato" tempo Horenstein dictates here makes much sense, it feels more natural and organic. The timpani and the percussion overall are just overwhelming, with a rather in-your-face feeling. This could be my favorite recording ever of this towering masterpiece. It gets a "WOW!" stamp from me. Spectacular to say the least. I'm even more enamoured of this work now. No doubts it's the symphony of my most cherished preferences.
Give us something else; give us something new; for Heaven's sake give us something bad, so long as we feel we are alive and active and not just passive admirers of tradition!

Carl Nielsen

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #49523 on: September 15, 2021, 06:30:23 PM »

If I were Bantock, I would dedicate this unbearably lovely creation (A Celtic Symphony) to my immortal beloved. Squeezingly gorgeous.
Give us something else; give us something new; for Heaven's sake give us something bad, so long as we feel we are alive and active and not just passive admirers of tradition!

Carl Nielsen

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #49524 on: September 15, 2021, 06:37:50 PM »

The Symphony No. 7 receives here a noble and bold interpretation from all involved. The key of C major wasn't assigned in vain. It expresses the purity of Finland, the humble spirit of its creator. I don't get the idea as to why I hadn't liked this work when I started discovering Sibelius 14 years ago. The language is totally approachable, stately, distinctive. All in all, a fabulous symphony.

Carl Nielsen

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #49525 on: September 15, 2021, 06:41:27 PM »

The Symphony No. 3 Heroic was love at first hearing to me. The wistful tune in the oboe with which it starts out is a strong reason to be hooked by this beauty. I haven't realized it gets better with each listen.

Carl Nielsen

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #49526 on: September 15, 2021, 06:43:33 PM »

Holmboe on his Sinfonia In Memoriam demonstrates the mastery and recognizable power he knew how to stamp in his works. A thrilling and valedictory work.

Carl Nielsen

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #49527 on: September 15, 2021, 06:45:38 PM »

Not my favorite performance of the Symphony No. 4. This emphasizes its angular sides, but lacks majesty and gracefulness. Ilya Stupel with the Anton Rubinstein PO (Danacord) remains my favorite recording and performance. All what I want is there.

Carl Nielsen

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #49528 on: September 15, 2021, 07:02:08 PM »
NP:

Annie-Sophie Mutter/John Williams: Across The Stars

Absolutely exquisite.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #49529 on: September 15, 2021, 09:11:40 PM »

A knock-out of a performance! This coruscating rendition manages to combine imposing majesty and muscular impetuosity quite succesfully. I think the "moderato" tempo Horenstein dictates here makes much sense, it feels more natural and organic. The timpani and the percussion overall are just overwhelming, with a rather in-your-face feeling. This could be my favorite recording ever of this towering masterpiece. It gets a "WOW!" stamp from me. Spectacular to say the least. I'm even more enamoured of this work now. No doubts it's the symphony of my most cherished preferences.
I agree Cesar! The anarchic side-drummer is most impressive (as is the one on Barbirolli's recording - which I think you would also enjoy).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #49530 on: September 15, 2021, 09:12:25 PM »

Not my favorite performance of the Symphony No. 4. This emphasizes its angular sides, but lacks majesty and gracefulness. Ilya Stupel with the Anton Rubinstein PO (Danacord) remains my favorite recording and performance. All what I want is there.
I like the Jarvi recording as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #49531 on: September 15, 2021, 09:12:58 PM »

The Symphony No. 3 Heroic was love at first hearing to me. The wistful tune in the oboe with which it starts out is a strong reason to be hooked by this beauty. I haven't realized it gets better with each listen.
+1

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #49532 on: September 15, 2021, 09:13:55 PM »
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - The Complete Recordings [Disc 3]

Looks like a great set John.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49533 on: September 15, 2021, 10:17:19 PM »
Morning listening on Spotify:

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #49534 on: September 15, 2021, 10:27:42 PM »
I had missed this!  Cool Irons!  Will have to look for that one!  :)

PD

Incredible performance. Oh, to be in the audience.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #49535 on: September 15, 2021, 11:32:35 PM »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #49536 on: September 16, 2021, 01:24:44 AM »
Froberger

Vol 3

CD 2 ( conclusion Suites of the Libro Quarto)

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #49537 on: September 16, 2021, 01:41:42 AM »

PD

I have Oistrakh/Gilels in a similar live performance on a Melodiya LP of Shostakovich' op 134 sonata. It is absolutely hairraising.

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #49538 on: September 16, 2021, 01:42:31 AM »

PD
Irons,

I wonder if it might have been from this same concert?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UakdQno0t0Y

I'll see whether or not I can also find a link for the Prokofiev....Ah!  Looks like a found the whole concert!  It's from 29th March, 1972.  Does that jibe with any dates on the back of your LP?

Here's the whole concert (if you or anyone else is wanting to watch it here):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsWUlpMFFAg

PD

p.s.  Hope to listen to it later on today---a bit early here for Bartok for me!  :)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 01:52:26 AM by Pohjolas Daughter »

Offline Papy Oli

• Veteran member
« Reply #49539 on: September 16, 2021, 02:59:00 AM »
Good afternoon all,

Wallowing in Bach's Partitas.

Olivier