What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry, Que (+ 1 Hidden) and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on September 15, 2021, 10:13:55 PM
Looks like a great set John.

Looks like even the music takes a week to slog through 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 16, 2021, 05:24:56 AM
It is quite an astounding work, Ray. I'll replay it sooner rather later.

TD:

Malcolm Arnold
Symphony no.5
(Handley, Royal Philarmonic Orchestra)
Don't know that work.  I'll have to do some digging around upstairs, but I don't recall ever hearing it before.  At a quick glance, all that I have of his choral works is his German Requiem.

Finished watching that Oistrakh/Richter concert--excellent!  I read that the recordings of it are in better audio shape vs. the recording made by the Soviet t.v.  Would love to get ahold of a copy.  Wonderful performances.  :)  By the way, when I was listening to the works, I found some very helpful and interesting liner notes on the Chandos website.  They were for the Prokofiev piece (the recording by Lydia Mordkovitch).  Amusing to read how Prokofiev met the young Oistrakh (then 18 years old).  ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 16, 2021, 04:58:32 AM
Watching this wonderful concert from Moscow from 29 March 1972 with Sviatoslav Richter and David Oistrakh.  A passionate Brahms' Violin Sonata No. 2 followed by Bartok's Violin Sonata No. 1.  And guess who else is there in the audience?  If you decide to watch it, look who they pan to in the audience applauding after the Bartok.  :)

I'll take a short intermission and then will watch the rest of the concert (Prokofiev's Violin Sonata No. 1, followed by a couple of movements from other works.

Concert is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsWUlpMFFAg

PD

I give up, Soupy Sales?
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on September 15, 2021, 10:13:55 PM
Looks like a great set John.

It sure is, Jeffrey. What's even nicer from a collecting standpoint is its OOP and quite expensive. 8) The music is lovely, though. Howard Shore did a remarkable job with all of these films.

Spotted Horses

Found ten minutes to listen to music this morning, and stumbled upon this on my hard disk, Bliss Oboe Quintet, first movement. Engaging.

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

kyjo

Quote from: Brian on September 14, 2021, 11:30:42 AM
I had 10 minutes to stream some music before a meeting and put on a few tracks of this.

After the meeting, I listened to the rest. This is just totally gorgeous, unexpectedly wonderful. Respighi's original songs are lovely impressionistic romantic little gems that you'll like if you like Ravel or anyone similar. Ian Bostridge's qualities are well-known, but Saskia Giorgini gets a lot of chances to show her artistry, too, never more so than in the most surprising collection of songs - a group of Scottish folk songs set and sung in English! - where Bostridge sings more or less the original folk tune while Giorgini is given all sorts of fun, colorful, lively accompanying lines. It's a little distracting to understand the cheesy old-timey lyrics about saying farewell to the mountains or enjoying a bagpiper playing a reel, but focus on the piano and there's a lot to love. The other songs alternate between Italian and French, and I'm blessedly ignorant of the words so I can enjoy the pure decadence of the sounds.

I will definitely be giving this a spin soon!!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 16, 2021, 06:13:28 AM
Found ten minutes to listen to music this morning, and stumbled upon this on my hard disk, Bliss Oboe Quintet, first movement. Engaging.

Oh yes, Bliss' chamber output contains many gems. The Viola Sonata on that disc is an unexpectedly powerful and gripping work. Don't miss his two SQs and Clarinet Quintet, either!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 14, 2021, 05:49:09 PM
Not yet.  ;)

I have to confess I have a soft spot for his organ music (except for most of the choral preludes which are boring to my ears). Bach makes the organ sound noble and majestic.

I tend to shy away from solo organ music, but I really ought to familiarize myself with Bach's.

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 14, 2021, 08:51:28 PM
I'm ambivalent. I enjoy when he talks about non-mainstream repertoire, but when he makes a video to talk about, say, the latest Beethoven release or any silly topic... mehh.

+1

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 16, 2021, 06:05:02 AM
Looks like even the music takes a week to slog through 8)

Surprisingly, there was no slogging on my part. :) There's only three discs in The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers. One has to remember these were long films, so there was quite a bit of music composed for them. The longest is The Return of the King as it has four discs. But make no mistake, there is much beautiful music to found here. I'm glad to own the complete soundtracks, though, I couldn't imagine buying the one disc versions and being satisfied with all of the selections.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 16, 2021, 06:11:31 AM
I give up, Soupy Sales?
:laugh:  :)
Shostakovich!  You can see him there at about 56:04 and again at 1hr 38' 40".

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 16, 2021, 06:28:50 AM

PD

That's too predictable! I was hoping it would turn out to be Karajan.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 16, 2021, 06:28:50 AM

PD

Yep, it's Shostakovich, indeed. Spotted Horses should be taken out back and horsewhipped for saying Soupy Sales. ;D I guess he's never seen a photo of Shostakovich. ;)

Spotted Horses

Quote from: kyjo on September 16, 2021, 06:19:36 AM
Oh yes, Bliss' chamber output contains many gems. The Viola Sonata on that disc is an unexpectedly powerful and gripping work. Don't miss his two SQs and Clarinet Quintet, either!

Yes, I think I purchased this disc when I was on a viola sonata/concerto buying binge. I generally regard Bliss very highly.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 16, 2021, 06:34:24 AM
That's too predictable! I was hoping it would turn out to be Karajan.
Sorry!

I wonder what the post-concert backstage conversations were like between him and Richter and Oistrakh (just guessing that he went to see them afterwards)?  Or if they went out afterwards?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

NP:

Martinů
Viola Sonata, H. 355
Alexander Besa - viola, Petra Besa - piano

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 16, 2021, 06:40:30 AM
Sorry!

I wonder what the post-concert backstage conversations were like between him and Richter and Oistrakh (just guessing that he went to see them afterwards)?  Or if they went out afterwards?

PD

Probably it was something along the lines of
"Dmitri, did you notice if they had any beets at the market today?"
"No Sviatoslav, they haven't come in yet."
"That's too bad, I'm getting tired of cabbage."

ritter

Revisiting the (composer's own) "black and white" versions of two favourite Stravinsky works, Agon and the Scherzo à la russe (played by the Bugallo-Williams piano duo):

Fascinating and really enjoyable (although I do miss the mandolin in Agon  ;)  ;D)

The new erato

Revisiting a favorite early music disc:

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 16, 2021, 06:50:26 AM
Probably it was something along the lines of
"Dmitri, did you notice if they had any beets at the market today?"
"No Sviatoslav, they haven't come in yet."
"That's too bad, I'm getting tired of cabbage."
I suspect that they probably faired better than a lot of the "common" folk, but I don't know.  If you wrote or performed something that the government didn't approve of, life could suddenly get very, very "rough".

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 16, 2021, 06:45:16 AM
NP:

Martinů
Viola Sonata, H. 355
Alexander Besa - viola, Petra Besa - piano

That's a very nice album.  I love so many of the albums that Supraphon has issued over the years.  :)

PD

Pohjolas Daughter