Author Topic: What are you listening 2 now?  (Read 1701286 times)

SimonNZ and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline foxandpeng

• Currently Listening to:
    Mostly post-1900. Brits. Northern Europeans. Others.
Re: What are you listening 2 now?
« Reply #49580 on: September 16, 2021, 10:51:34 AM »
:laugh:  But, seriously, we all have our phobias.   :)

Good luck with your prepping!  What kind of new digs will you be moving into?  And have you found anything yet?

PD

Thanks, PD. Nasty creatures. Yuk.

Well, we downsized about 5 years ago, but sadly COVID-19 has done to us what it has done to so many, and our working patterns going forward will mean that we will both continue to work primarily from home. As a result, we both want a home office each and more space overall - looking to buy something with those things, plus space for a craft room and a music room. Plus the offspring are starting to spread their genetic material, so more space for them to inflict grandparently duties will be required.

Have only just started looking, so haven't found anything yet, but technically we are open to a really wide range of fairly rural locations. We are a commuter couple who have bases about 80 miles apart, but flexible working patterns mean that we don't actually attend an office that often. We do need to think about being vaguely close to one location or equidistant, just for the sake of good sense.

All very frustrating welcome.

Needs must, I guess.

Thread duty:

Johan De Meij
Symphony #1 'The Lord of the Rings'
Peabody Conservatory Wind Ensemble
Harlan D Parker
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 11:00:07 AM by foxandpeng »
“A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Offline foxandpeng

« Reply #49581 on: September 16, 2021, 11:08:55 AM »
Perhaps there is something to Penderecki and spiders?

The reason I say that is there is a part in Penderecki's Polymorphia that gives me a vision of a gargantuan spider crawling along on a hardwood floor.  :-\

I can see that too, now. Aaargh!

They are disquieting works, are they not?
“A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Offline foxandpeng

« Reply #49582 on: September 16, 2021, 11:14:38 AM »
OT
Years ago our cat brought in a small frog from the garden. The frog disappeared behind a dresser. I had to remove all the crockery etc from the dresser to access the frog. When I asked my young daughter to assist she was most unhelpful, resulting in me angrily saying 'for goodness sake stop making such a fuss - it's just a tiny frog'. At that moment the frog leapt out from behind the dresser and I screamed and fell backwards into the piled up crockery sending everything cascading over the floor. My daughter has never let me forget this incident.

Haha. That did make me laugh 😃. Poor you.  Perhaps Penderecki should have written a piece to go with this entitled Amphibia. I would prefer the frog to the arachnid, to be honest. 

Tolstoy

Offline OrchestralNut

• Veteran member
  • Krzysztof Penderecki (1933-2020)
« Reply #49583 on: September 16, 2021, 11:19:43 AM »
I can see that too, now. Aaargh!

They are disquieting works, are they not?

Well, some of Penderecki's works are disquieting, no question about it.

Offline classicalgeek

Dvorak, Janacek, Martinu, Shostakovich, Poulenc, Koechlin, Stravinsky, Barber, Mahler (always!), 20th century symphonies (Arnold, Badings, Holmboe, Malipiero, George Lloyd, Rorem, Rubbra, and many others!)
« Reply #49584 on: September 16, 2021, 11:42:17 AM »
A do-it-yourself playlist of Smetana's Ma Vlast on Spotify:

1. Vysehrad
Detroit Symphony Orchestra
Neeme Jarvi

2. Vltava
Cleveland Orchestra
George Szell

3. Sarka
Staatskapelle Dresden
Paavo Berglund

4. From Bohemia's Woods and Fields
Vienna Philharmonic
Nikolaus Harnoncourt

5. Tabor
Janacek Philharmonic
Theodore Kuchar

6. Blanik
Boston Symphony Orchestra
Rafael Kubelik

For some reason, I just haven't gotten into these, save for Vltava and maybe From Bohemia's Woods and Fields. Maybe I just haven't found the right recording yet... maybe I need to give Mackerras a listen!

DavidW

« Reply #49585 on: September 16, 2021, 01:03:18 PM »
Classicalgeek try this one, I really like it:

Offline classicalgeek

Dvorak, Janacek, Martinu, Shostakovich, Poulenc, Koechlin, Stravinsky, Barber, Mahler (always!), 20th century symphonies (Arnold, Badings, Holmboe, Malipiero, George Lloyd, Rorem, Rubbra, and many others!)
« Reply #49586 on: September 16, 2021, 01:05:52 PM »
Just had my second listen to Bernstein's Serenade in as many days:
Leonard Bernstein
Serenade
Hilary Hahn, violin
Baltimore Symphony Orchestra
David Zinman

{on Spotify)

Quint/Alsop were an excellent introduction to the work, but in terms of firepower and sheer virtuosity, they're no match for Hahn/Zinman. Hilary Hahn is note-perfect as usual, and Zinman has the Baltimore Symphony on top of its game. I'll keep on listening to other performances, but I can't imagine anyone doing better than Hahn/Zinman!

Offline classicalgeek

« Reply #49587 on: September 16, 2021, 01:07:50 PM »
Classicalgeek try this one, I really like it:

Thanks, David! I'll add Belohlavek to my ones to sample. Maybe I'll do a second listen with six different performances than the ones I used the first time around!

Offline classicalgeek

« Reply #49588 on: September 16, 2021, 04:40:09 PM »
Just finished, on Spotify:
Martinů
Symphony no. 1
Bamberg Symphony Orchestra
Neeme Järvi

Excellent as expected!

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #49589 on: September 16, 2021, 05:02:39 PM »
I agree Cesar! The anarchic side-drummer is most impressive (as is the one on Barbirolli's recording - which I think you would also enjoy).

Yeah, that side-drummer was on fire! How could I miss this smoking performance all this time??

I do want to listen to that recording, Jeffrey. I shall investigate about it. Thank you.
Give us something else; give us something new; for Heaven's sake give us something bad, so long as we feel we are alive and active and not just passive admirers of tradition!

Carl Nielsen

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #49590 on: September 16, 2021, 05:03:32 PM »
I like the Jarvi recording as well.

Me too, Jeffrey. The another one on Danacord is satisfying and poetic as well.
Give us something else; give us something new; for Heaven's sake give us something bad, so long as we feel we are alive and active and not just passive admirers of tradition!

Carl Nielsen

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #49591 on: September 16, 2021, 05:13:14 PM »
This is great, Cesar. You just gave me the impulse to listen to these works, too !  :)

Good luck, André!  :)

Carl Nielsen

Offline T. D.

• Veteran member
« Reply #49592 on: September 16, 2021, 06:44:46 PM »
Disparate works I was reminded of by forum posts:

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #49593 on: September 16, 2021, 07:21:57 PM »
Eller: The Singing Fields

What a joy of a work this symphonic poem is. There is something of Sibelius here that provides a lovely sense of naturalness.

Carl Nielsen

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #49594 on: September 16, 2021, 09:20:59 PM »
Eller: The Singing Fields

What a joy of a work this symphonic poem is. There is something of Sibelius here that provides a lovely sense of naturalness.

+1

Early morning listening before work:
Sauguet: Symphony No.1 'Expiatoire'

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #49595 on: September 16, 2021, 09:27:41 PM »
Yeah, that side-drummer was on fire! How could I miss this smoking performance all this time??

I do want to listen to that recording, Jeffrey. I shall investigate about it. Thank you.
This is the CD Cesar:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #49596 on: September 16, 2021, 11:17:54 PM »

Just arrived, very expressive and indeed dramatic Credo. Stimmwerck as always are impeccable.  The Cinquecento Heinrich Isaac release has prompted me to make an effort to explore German Renaissance music.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 11:21:20 PM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #49597 on: September 16, 2021, 11:28:11 PM »
Watching this wonderful concert from Moscow from 29 March 1972 with Sviatoslav Richter and David Oistrakh.  A passionate Brahms' Violin Sonata No. 2 followed by Bartok's Violin Sonata No. 1.  And guess who else is there in the audience?  If you decide to watch it, look who they pan to in the audience applauding after the Bartok.  :)

I'll take a short intermission and then will watch the rest of the concert (Prokofiev's Violin Sonata No. 1, followed by a couple of movements from other works.

Concert is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsWUlpMFFAg

PD

Thanks for link, PD. That I will definitely watch. I have three Melodiya/EMI Richter/Oistrakh live concert LPs - there maybe more.

The Bartok/Prokofiev does not include dates but published by EMI in 1974, so that fits. The Franck/Brahms 3 was from same venue on 28th December 1968. The Shostakovich is again the Grand Hall from May 1969.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
  • Don't waste your energy trying to convince people.
« Reply #49598 on: September 16, 2021, 11:40:47 PM »
Alfonso Ferrabosco, the Younger.

Consort Music to the Viols in 4,5,6 parts.

Hesperion XXI. Jordi Savall.
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline Papy Oli

• Veteran member
« Reply #49599 on: September 16, 2021, 11:50:13 PM »
Good morning all.

Buxtehude - sacred cantatas vol.2 /Chandos
(Purcell quartet, Kirkby)
Olivier