Author Topic: What are you listening 2 now?  (Read 1580830 times)

André, classicalgeek, Cato (+ 1 Hidden) and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
Re: What are you listening 2 now?
« Reply #49660 on: September 17, 2021, 04:35:13 PM »
2nd listen. Music works much better for me tonight than it did the first time around.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #49661 on: September 17, 2021, 04:54:43 PM »
2nd listen. Music works much better for me tonight than it did the first time around.

Nice.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Online classicalgeek

• Currently Listening to:
    Dvorak, Janacek, Martinu, Shostakovich, Poulenc, Koechlin, Stravinsky, Barber, Mahler (always!), 20th century symphonies (Arnold, Badings, Holmboe, Malipiero, George Lloyd, Rorem, Rubbra, and many others!)
« Reply #49662 on: September 17, 2021, 04:59:58 PM »
Just heard George Lloyd, Symphony no. 6, this time listening with the full score:

I just love Lloyd's music - lively and tuneful, emotionally satisfying, just music for music's sake, straightforward and unpretentious. I particularly love the slow movement in this symphony: poignant and gripping with an unforgettable melody that starts out in muted strings. I'm running out of superlatives!

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #49663 on: September 17, 2021, 06:52:48 PM »
The Legendary
In comparison with the most-known Järvi reading, this is more stately, eloquent, also somewhat warmer and less bleak (or raw), but it never lacks presence and impact. The quiet closing section is phenomenally done, utterly atmospheric and consoling. Granted, it's not as in-your-face like the BIS recording. However, I can say it's convincing all around.

Alfvén: Symphony No. 2

An underrated symphony in my view. I feel a mix between pastoral mood, grandeur, wizardry and compelling counterpoint. It's also melodically generous. How not to love the endearing tunes in the 1st movement?

« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 07:22:30 PM by Symphonic Addict »
Give us something else; give us something new; for Heaven's sake give us something bad, so long as we feel we are alive and active and not just passive admirers of tradition!

Carl Nielsen

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #49664 on: September 17, 2021, 08:24:41 PM »
The Legendary
In comparison with the most-known Järvi reading, this is more stately, eloquent, also somewhat warmer and less bleak (or raw), but it never lacks presence and impact. The quiet closing section is phenomenally done, utterly atmospheric and consoling. Granted, it's not as in-your-face like the BIS recording. However, I can say it's convincing all around.

Alfvén: Symphony No. 2

An underrated symphony in my view. I feel a mix between pastoral mood, grandeur, wizardry and compelling counterpoint. It's also melodically generous. How not to love the endearing tunes in the 1st movement?

+1 for the 'Legendary' perhaps my favourite of the Tubin symphonies and one which should be much better known.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #49665 on: September 17, 2021, 09:37:20 PM »
Early morning listening in East Sussex - César Franck: Violin Sonata
Following recent enthusiasm for this two CD set on GMG Forum I purchased a second-hand copy inexpensively - and very nice it is too.
The Franck I first came across as accompanying music for my audio-book of 'The Lady of the Camelias' by Alexandre Dumas Fils and always remembered it. Those Naxos audio-books always tended to use musical material from the Marco Polo catalogue and I made a number of interesting discoveries that way, including Joseph Holbrooke's chamber music (which I tend to prefer to his orchestral music):

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49666 on: September 17, 2021, 10:47:14 PM »

Never heard this one?

I didn't know it existed - goes on the list! :)

But I do have this harpsichord recording by Olga Martynova and enjoyed that very much:

I have this  recording on my wishlist  :)

A very lovely recording!

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #49667 on: September 17, 2021, 10:48:28 PM »
Yes, I loved the Bartok!   ;D  My question for you was whether or not the recording quality/transfer for the LP was significantly better than on the youtube clip.  I had read by someone who had commented on the YT thread that it was much better, but was curious as to what you recall hearing when you played your LP of it.

In any event, happy that you enjoyed watching it; I suspected that you would.  ;)

PD

For sonics, no comparison PD. Trying to avoid coming over all vinyl-head superior. ::) Melodiya, in my view a simple mike set-up of live recordings is best, even orchestral - Mravinsky for example. Melodiya have earned a less then stellar reputation for recording quality due to the engineers being too intrusive with spot-lighting, multi-miking etc.

The notes are not clear if the dedicatee, Druzhinin's recording of the Shostakovich bleak Viola Sonata is live or not. Without applause (which would spoil the serene close) so I guess not.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49668 on: September 17, 2021, 11:00:45 PM »
Morning listening:

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #49669 on: September 17, 2021, 11:03:46 PM »
Elisabetta Brusa: 'Merlin' - an atmospheric Symphonic Poem from 2004:

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
  • Don't waste your energy trying to convince people.
« Reply #49670 on: September 17, 2021, 11:12:42 PM »
Marin Marais.
Troisieme livre de pieces de Viole (1711)
CD IV.
Suite VIII in do Majeur & IV in re majeur,

Francois Joubert Caillet, Bass viol.
L'Acheron.

Gives peace and solace of mind after a strenuous week of problem solving.
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49671 on: September 17, 2021, 11:21:12 PM »
Marin Marais.
Troisieme livre de pieces de Viole (1711)
CD IV.
Suite VIII in do Majeur & IV in re majeur,

Francois Joubert Caillet, Bass viol.
L'Acheron.

Gives peace and solace of mind after a strenuous week of problem solving.

And you picked the right music. :)

Offline Tsaraslondon

• Veteran member
    • My blog
« Reply #49672 on: September 17, 2021, 11:21:51 PM »

Elgar and Dvorak from Jacqueline du Pré. Du Pré's Elgar produces such feelings of nostalgia in me.This recording was used as the theme tune for the superb TV adaptation of John Mortimer's Paradise Postponed, which was set in the 1960s, with the original LP cover (the one coupled to Janet Baker's recording of Sea Pictures) even making an appearance in the show. That record has never been out of the catalogue and I remember we had it on permanent order with EMI when I worked at a classical record shop in central London back in the 1980s.

As I already had Baker's Sea Pictures when I came to buy the Elgar on CD, I went for this coupling of the Dvorak, a live performance from 1970 with her husband Daniel Barenboim conducting.

\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #49673 on: September 17, 2021, 11:23:41 PM »
Yesterday, in the car, Schubert Symphony No.5 - I'd forgotten what a great symphony it is. It came as the freebie CD with BBC Music Magazine -  the issue also included a feature on Miaskovsky:

Offline Roasted Swan

• Veteran member
« Reply #49674 on: September 18, 2021, 12:36:14 AM »
Yesterday, in the car, Schubert Symphony No.5 - I'd forgotten what a great symphony it is. It came as the freebie CD with BBC Music Magazine -  the issue also included a feature on Miaskovsky:

As someone who was a dep violin in the West End "Phantom of the Opera" for 19(!) years it sticks in my throat a little that Sir Andrew is on the front cover of this magazine "championing" the cause of musicians and live music.  This is after the aforesaid Phantom closed in March 2020 with all the cast and orchestra's contracts paid off.  At the time it was the largest live nightly orchestra in the West End with 28 musicians.  It has just reopened with an orchestra of 14 which sir Andrew claims is actually "better" in terms of sound/orchestration than before.  The new orchestration is actually based on the reduced touring production version and is no doubt very good and is (also no doubt) being played by skilled musos.  But please do NOT doubt for one second that this is a purely financial/business decision and that the loss of such a large live ensemble (the onstage cast is reduced too) diminishes the West End.  Les Mis went a similar way some years back and with the passing of the original Phantom Band there will never be another live orchestra of that size in the West End.  The big sound that orchestra made was integral (even if it was subliminal) to the impact of the show.  I kind of accept that the is possibily a necessary decision to keep the show alive but please DON'T insult the intelligence of everyone Sir Andrew by pretending it is better.

On a cheerier note - I listened to this disc for the first time in something like 20 years yesterday;

Only half a dozen tracks in but its better than I remembered - big lush (faintly derivative)melodies - oooh who does that remind me of - but very enjoyable to hear.......

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #49675 on: September 18, 2021, 12:45:02 AM »
As someone who was a dep violin in the West End "Phantom of the Opera" for 19(!) years it sticks in my throat a little that Sir Andrew is on the front cover of this magazine "championing" the cause of musicians and live music.  This is after the aforesaid Phantom closed in March 2020 with all the cast and orchestra's contracts paid off.  At the time it was the largest live nightly orchestra in the West End with 28 musicians.  It has just reopened with an orchestra of 14 which sir Andrew claims is actually "better" in terms of sound/orchestration than before.  The new orchestration is actually based on the reduced touring production version and is no doubt very good and is (also no doubt) being played by skilled musos.  But please do NOT doubt for one second that this is a purely financial/business decision and that the loss of such a large live ensemble (the onstage cast is reduced too) diminishes the West End.  Les Mis went a similar way some years back and with the passing of the original Phantom Band there will never be another live orchestra of that size in the West End.  The big sound that orchestra made was integral (even if it was subliminal) to the impact of the show.  I kind of accept that the is possibily a necessary decision to keep the show alive but please DON'T insult the intelligence of everyone Sir Andrew by pretending it is better.

On a cheerier note - I listened to this disc for the first time in something like 20 years yesterday;

Only half a dozen tracks in but its better than I remembered - big lush (faintly derivative)melodies - oooh who does that remind me of - but very enjoyable to hear.......
Interesting - I don't have much time for ALW and wished they'd put Miaskovsky on the front cover instead. I don't know why they got David Nice to write the article on Miaskovsky as he usually is totally negative about NYM's music (they could have asked me  ;D)

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
  • Don't waste your energy trying to convince people.
« Reply #49676 on: September 18, 2021, 12:51:49 AM »
Granada (1013-1502)

From the founding of the Kingdom of Granada, and the expansion and splendour of Al-Andalus, to its incorporation in the Kingdom of Castile and Leon, and the forced conversion of the Muslims.

Hesperion XXI, La Capella Reial de Catalunya, Jordi Savall.

What a fine musical journey.
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline Papy Oli

• Veteran member
« Reply #49677 on: September 18, 2021, 12:52:08 AM »
Good morning all,

JS Bach - Cantata BWV 99 (Gardiner)

edit: and BWW 51

« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 01:03:26 AM by Papy Oli »
Olivier

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #49678 on: September 18, 2021, 01:41:47 AM »

K.387, 521, 156.

The comparison with the Alban Berg Quartet is instructive. I hear more sensibility, more nuance, a greater ability to switch from light to shade in a heartbeat with the Talich. With them K 421 is a miracle of sensitivity, an opera without words.
I haven't heard the Talich Quartet's Mozart before but have enjoyed other recordings by them.  I'm trying to remember, is this set one of the newer ones (vs. earlier group members)?

For sonics, no comparison PD. Trying to avoid coming over all vinyl-head superior. ::) Melodiya, in my view a simple mike set-up of live recordings is best, even orchestral - Mravinsky for example. Melodiya have earned a less then stellar reputation for recording quality due to the engineers being too intrusive with spot-lighting, multi-miking etc.

The notes are not clear if the dedicatee, Druzhinin's recording of the Shostakovich bleak Viola Sonata is live or not. Without applause (which would spoil the serene close) so I guess not.
I was guessing that that was the case.  I'd love to get ahold of some of those Melodiya/HMV pressings as I suspect that they would be better than the Melodiya/Angel ones that I most often see around here (Think that I've run across some of the ones released on Monitor too.).  And thank you for the added info too!  8)

Early morning listening in East Sussex - César Franck: Violin Sonata
Following recent enthusiasm for this two CD set on GMG Forum I purchased a second-hand copy inexpensively - and very nice it is too.
The Franck I first came across as accompanying music for my audio-book of 'The Lady of the Camelias' by Alexandre Dumas Fils and always remembered it. Those Naxos audio-books always tended to use musical material from the Marco Polo catalogue and I made a number of interesting discoveries that way, including Joseph Holbrooke's chamber music (which I tend to prefer to his orchestral music):

Delighted to hear that you are enjoying that Belgian & French violin music Jeffrey!

PD

p.s.  Off now to poke around in my music library to figure out what to put on--after brewing some coffee.  :)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #49679 on: September 18, 2021, 01:49:49 AM »
I haven't heard the Talich Quartet's Mozart before but have enjoyed other recordings by them.  I'm trying to remember, is this set one of the newer ones (vs. earlier group members)?
I was guessing that that was the case.  I'd love to get ahold of some of those Melodiya/HMV pressings as I suspect that they would be better than the Melodiya/Angel ones that I most often see around here (Think that I've run across some of the ones released on Monitor too.).  And thank you for the added info too!  8)
Delighted to hear that you are enjoying that Belgian & French violin music Jeffrey!

PD

p.s.  Off now to poke around in my music library to figure out what to put on--after brewing some coffee.  :)
Great minds! I'm just about to make myself a cup of coffee PD - a displacement activity to delay getting on with my domestic chores  ('put away the ladder, assemble the garden trimmer, paint the back door etcetc'  ::))

I really enjoyed the Franck and Debussy sonatas and the jazzy one by Ravel was quite new to me.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 01:53:32 AM by vandermolen »