What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46 and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

VonStupp

Quote from: André on September 18, 2021, 10:11:37 AM

Amarus is one of Janacek's most interesting vocal works IMO.

Agreed.

Initially for me, Amarus was a case where the story it told was a bit more interesting than the actual music, although Janáček is always a curious listen. Then I realized I always listened to Amarus with the paired Martinů Field Mass on my Mackerras recording, and Amarus always paled for me in comparison. Now I listen to it on its own, and it works much better for me.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

SonicMan46

Lasso, Orlando di (c.1532-1594) - Prophetiae Sibyllarum, Magnificat, & Others w/ Walter Testolin/De Labyrintho - new arrival suggested in the Lassus (or Lasso) thread - a magnificent recording w/ several superlative reviews (attached); loved by the Amazonians (all 5* including by Gio, one of my favorite commentors there) - performance of these 'Sibylline Prophesies' is new to my collection.  Dave :)

André

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on September 18, 2021, 07:53:31 AM
George Lloyd
Symphonies 4, 5 & 8
Philharmonia Orchestra
Edward Downes
Lyrita

Pipe. Slippers. Lloyd.

Following my car incident this week with Aragog's larger relative, we had breakfast this morning at a local Wetherspoon's.

Bigger house spider. ON MY PLATE. ALIVE. NO WORD OF A LIE. ON MY PLATE!!

Honestly, you couldn't make it up. Cue more frantic yelling.

Replacement breakfast brought to fresh table.

FFS.
Terrible! What a nightmare for you!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on September 18, 2021, 09:04:04 AM
I agree that it's easily the finest of his symphonies. I find that the earlier ones are, for the most part, stubbornly conservative and academic "Franck-lite". One can sense in the 4th Symphony that he had sat up and took notice of how wonderful his student Braga Santos' works were and was inspired by them to have a compositional "reawakening"!
That makes good sense to me Kyle!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Todd on September 18, 2021, 10:44:32 AM

One of the great recordings of Symphony No.10 IMO and preferable to Karajan's later DGG studio recording.

Carlo Gesualdo

My friends ah.. blast finally a while ago a fabulous old CD of Huelgas Ensemble arrived.
He thee olde  boye was thrilled, mind blowen by genius, , riveted to my chair listening to Italia Mia which is fabulous, a CD I would warmly recommended it's fascinating and beautiful, any sane person should know or would know?  :P

VonStupp

Felix Mendelssohn
Violin Concerto in e minor, op. 64

Jascha Heifetz, violin
Boston SO - Charles Munch

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: kyjo on September 18, 2021, 09:21:39 AM
How does this ballet compare to Le chevalier errant and Les amours de Jupiter (from the Timpani CD)?

It is very good and enjoyable, if not better than the Chevalier. Very colorful and unique music.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on September 18, 2021, 05:58:11 AM
Thank you very much PD. Much appreciated  ;)  :)
You're very welcome!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Traverso on September 18, 2021, 06:53:58 AM
Well,it is clear now that you love the harpsichord ,good for you.I often feel myself uplifted by the music and the instrument, not strange considering that it was composed for the the "fine fleur "of the society.
Oh,I like also a country dance every now and then to land on earth again  :)

Yes, I love harpsichord and organ (and santur and tar.) Are you familiar with the music of Jacques Duphly??

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: foxandpeng on September 18, 2021, 07:53:31 AM
George Lloyd
Symphonies 4, 5 & 8
Philharmonia Orchestra
Edward Downes
Lyrita

Pipe. Slippers. Lloyd.

Following my car incident this week with Aragog's larger relative, we had breakfast this morning at a local Wetherspoon's.

Bigger house spider. ON MY PLATE. ALIVE. NO WORD OF A LIE. ON MY PLATE!!

Honestly, you couldn't make it up. Cue more frantic yelling.

Replacement breakfast brought to fresh table.

FFS.
Augh!  Poor you!  Well, perhaps this might help you feel better when you run across one in your house:  https://www.bioadvanced.com/articles/controlling-spiders-house-friend-or-foe  As in, perhaps most/many of them that you regularly encounter can be viewed as friends?

TD

Earlier today, before running off to do some errands and help a friend for a little while on a project of his, I revisited a CD of Laszlo Lajtha listening to his Symphony No. 4 "Le Printemps" on Hungaroton.  Must admit, it didn't do a lot for me.    :( Will have to try the other two works on the CD soon (Symphony No. 9 and Sinfonietta for String Orchestra).  Are there any big fans of his music here?  And if so, any favorite works?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: VonStupp on September 18, 2021, 01:12:22 PM
Felix Mendelssohn
Violin Concerto in e minor, op. 64

Jascha Heifetz, violin
Boston SO - Charles Munch

A classic and wonderful CD!  Hope that you enjoyed it.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

kyjo

Quote from: André on September 18, 2021, 10:11:37 AM

Amarus is one of Janacek's most interesting vocal works IMO.

Two lovely works!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Bachtoven

This set arrived today. I enjoyed the 4th Symphony in 24/192 sound on the Blu-ray disc--excellent playing and sound.

aligreto

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 18, 2021, 05:53:38 AM
Fergus,

According to Chandos' website, it's Young woman at the beach, Walberswick (Suffolk) c. 1886/88 by Philip Wilson Steer 1860-1942 /akg-images/Erich Lessing

PD

I checked out Philip Wilson Steer's paintings, PD, and, as it turns out, I was actually familiar with one of them:

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Todd

Quote from: vandermolen on September 18, 2021, 12:57:58 PM
One of the great recordings of Symphony No.10 IMO and preferable to Karajan's later DGG studio recording.

Can't really disagree.

TD:

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

VonStupp

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 18, 2021, 01:45:00 PM
A classic and wonderful CD!  Hope that you enjoyed it.

PD

Thank you, yes very much. I love these Living Stereo SACD's. RCA could probably have a troop of baboons playing together (from the 50's and 60's of course) and I would still like it.

VS