What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.

vandermolen

Fricker: 'The Vision of Judgement'
His masterpiece I think:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Harry

Quote from: vandermolen on September 21, 2021, 10:49:56 PM
Happy Birthday Harry!
Enjoy the box and have a good day.

Thank you Jeffrey. The unpacking is in the afternoon. Since it is a normal working day, my friends will arrive in the evening.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Irons

Howells: Piano Quartet/Fantasy Quartet/Rhapsodic Quintet.

An excellent selection all from between 1916-19 which make for an enjoyable programme.

Recording of piano (Bernard Roberts) brilliantly caught in the PQ. Must be one of the few works that come with a dedication to a hill! The Fantasy Quartet is CC Vaughan Williams. Unlike many British works featuring clarinet the Rhapsodic Quintet for clarinet and string quartet is not pastoral but meaty and at times fiery.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

ritter

Quote from: "Harry" on September 21, 2021, 10:34:05 PM
Having my 65 birthday today I expect all kind of freebees in the form of music played today which I like. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: At my home there stands a big box from JPC which my wife and friends ordered, really huge, so I will report later whats in it. ::) ::) ::) ::)
Happy birthday, Harry! Enjoy your day...

Harry

Pohjolas Daughter

Having my 65 birthday today I expect all kind of freebees in the form of music played today which I like. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: At my home there stands a big box from JPC which my wife and friends ordered, really huge, so I will report later whats in it. ::) ::) ::) ::)
Oh, boy!  So did they know where you hid your "wish list"?  Or had you made specific hints?  Or???  :)  :D

In any event, a belated but still very Happy Birthday to you Harry!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Harry

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 22, 2021, 01:22:07 AM
Oh, boy!  So did they know where you hid your "wish list"?  Or had you made specific hints?  Or???  :)  :D

In any event, a belated but still very Happy Birthday to you Harry!

PD

Well from what I gathered, my wife relayed a Wishlist which she found in one of my files on the computer. They got their marching orders from my wife :laugh:
The wishes are not belated, my day has just begun.
Thank you for them :-*

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: "Harry" on September 22, 2021, 01:41:38 AM
Well from what I gathered, my wife relayed a Wishlist which she found in one of my files on the computer. They got their marching orders from my wife :laugh:
The wishes are not belated, my day has just begun.
Thank you for them :-*
Clever of her!  I hope that you kept it up to date?  ;)

And, of good!  I was thinking that it was yesterday?  Very early here so I must have misread things.  And happy unpacking!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 22, 2021, 02:17:50 AM
Clever of her!  I hope that you kept it up to date?  ;)

And, of good!  I was thinking that it was yesterday?  Very early here so I must have misread things.  And happy unpacking!  :)

PD
My wife would have thrown the whole lot out!
;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

The new erato

All the best to you Harry!

The new erato

Quote from: vandermolen on September 22, 2021, 03:33:04 AM
My wife would have thrown the whole lot out!
;D
The friends? Or the discs? Or all of the above?

Brahmsian

Bonne fĂȘte Monsieur!  :)

DavidW

Happy birthday Harry!  My birthday is next week. 8)

Spotted Horses

Quote from: André on September 21, 2021, 01:25:32 PM
This is an excellent disc. I was surprised at how negative your feelings were about that 3rd chamber symphony. My own recollection was more positive  :). For the 2nd chamber symphony the Olympia disc is perfect IMO - coupled with the 2nd symphony (check under Vainberg, not Weinberg).

Turns out I have the Olympia recordings of the four Chamber Symphonies as well. I don't know what possessed me to buy the Naxos recordings, except that they were very inexpensive hi-rez downloads.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Traverso

Congratulations,I wonder if there are also "Nutcrackers"in the huge box . :)  Have a pleasant evening with your friends.

Papy Oli

Good afternoon all & Happy Birthday Harry !

Back to this gorgeous gem of a disc:

Olivier

Traverso

Henry Purcell

A fine recording with the Parley of instruments and Red Byrd.

Tsaraslondon

Some say Barbirolli's Elgar can be too much heart-on-the-sleeve but I disagree and in works like the Enigma Variations his response to the music is so deeply heartfelt it can move me to tears. On the other hand his Falstaff has a quixotic energy that is most engaging.

Excellent 1960s recordings.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Dry Brett Kavanaugh