Author Topic: What are you listening 2 now?  (Read 1727335 times)

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
  • Don't waste your energy trying to convince people.
Re: What are you listening 2 now?
« Reply #50000 on: September 22, 2021, 12:36:21 PM »
A Happy Birthday to you. Not everyone has the honor of sharing their birthday with Bilbo and Frodo.

Now that's a real honour :laugh:
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
« Reply #50001 on: September 22, 2021, 12:40:28 PM »
Happy birthday, Harry! I hope it's been a good one and that life finds you well. That's awesome that your wife and friends got you CDs.

P.S. How's your eye doing? I seem to recall you underwent retinal surgery some months ago to fix a macular pucker. (I work for an ophthalmologist so these things stick in my mind :P). Hope all has healed up and you've gotten some visual improvement.

Thank you my friend, and yes all is well. As to regards to my eye surgery in repairing the macular pucker together with inserting a new lens, the surgeon said is was a success. Measuring confirmed this. My vision has improved rather spectacular.
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #50002 on: September 22, 2021, 12:43:31 PM »
Thank you my friend, and yes all is well. As to regards to my eye surgery in repairing the macular pucker together with inserting a new lens, the surgeon said is was a success. Measuring confirmed this. My vision has improved rather spectacular.

Excellent!

TD:

CD 26:

Le Rossignol
... I do love this.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #50003 on: September 22, 2021, 12:44:27 PM »

That is amazing to hear, glad you're enjoying your new vision. It's a rather tricky surgery.

Enjoy the rest of your birthday night!

Now playing:

Maurice Ravel: Prélude; Miroirs. Louis Lortie

This was a blind purchase last month but I've been amazingly pleased with it. Lortie's a fine pianist, perfectly attuned to this repertoire; he's now definitely on my radar as far as other recordings of his.

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
« Reply #50004 on: September 22, 2021, 12:45:47 PM »
And now to the unpacking of the large and heavy parcel from JPC and countless other suppliers. They took a list from my computer which I had carefully hidden, but not good enough. It was my list with all the ballets on Bluray discs that I wanted to buy, plus the ones that where only available on DVD and were essential to me. On this list were 108 items, and they were in that box. Can you imagine my surprise.
I am very happy with them though. And now find the time to watch them all, O, boy!
Thank you all for the Birthday wishes, they were well appreciated, be sure of that!

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #50005 on: September 22, 2021, 12:48:49 PM »
CD 32:

“Wolferl”

Sinfonia concertante in Eb, K. 364 (320d)
Sinfonia concertante in Eb, K. Anh. 14.01 (297b)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Dry Brett Kavanaugh

• Veteran member
    Eric Dolphy, Persian music, Sorabji, Scriabin, Sex Pistols
« Reply #50006 on: September 22, 2021, 01:10:53 PM »

TD
Frankel: 'Curse of the Werewolf' - that doomed processional at the end is marvellous!
I'm sorry that Frankel remained so resolutely atonal in his symphonic scores. He could write great tunes. I'm sure that others will disagree with my point but that's how I feel about Frankel's music. This is my favourite disc of his music and I have several of his symphonies and the Violin Concerto in Memory of the Victims of the Holocaust.

Great music!

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #50007 on: September 22, 2021, 03:40:32 PM »
Having my 65 birthday today I expect all kind of freebees in the form of music played today which I like. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: At my home there stands a big box from JPC which my wife and friends ordered, really huge, so I will report later whats in it. ::) ::) ::) ::)

Excuse me being a bit late, but happy birthday also from me.
Enjoy your personal Boxing day . :)
As soon as a word has left the lips, not even the fastest horse can catch up with it.

Offline classicalgeek

Dvorak, Janacek, Martinu, Shostakovich, Poulenc, Koechlin, Stravinsky, Barber, Mahler (always!), 20th century symphonies (Arnold, Badings, Holmboe, Malipiero, George Lloyd, Rorem, Rubbra, and many others!)
« Reply #50008 on: September 22, 2021, 03:59:21 PM »
More late Stravinsky, this time Agon, on four different recordings (all on Spotify):

I really enjoyed both Leinsdorf and Tilson Thomas, with a slight edge to Leinsdorf - though I liked the prominent mandolin in Tilson Thomas's recording. Stravinsky's own recording was fine but not the best - and the piano sounded out of tune (almost like a prepared piano.) Ashkenazy was disappointing, especially after I enjoyed his performance of the Symphony in C. Something was off texturally - the wiry, spiky sonorities Stravinsky uses here (and in much of his later work) were underplayed. Oh well... no one's good at everything!

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #50009 on: September 22, 2021, 04:06:49 PM »

+1  :)

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #50010 on: September 22, 2021, 04:13:31 PM »

Both symphonies. It’s not just the performances that are spellbinding, but the recording quality too (live from Avery Fisher Hall, a notoriously difficult venue): outstanding clarity and perfect balances.

Offline Dry Brett Kavanaugh

• Veteran member
    Eric Dolphy, Persian music, Sorabji, Scriabin, Sex Pistols
« Reply #50011 on: September 22, 2021, 05:10:49 PM »

Great! Happy Birthday to you!

Offline classicalgeek

Dvorak, Janacek, Martinu, Shostakovich, Poulenc, Koechlin, Stravinsky, Barber, Mahler (always!), 20th century symphonies (Arnold, Badings, Holmboe, Malipiero, George Lloyd, Rorem, Rubbra, and many others!)
« Reply #50012 on: September 22, 2021, 05:24:51 PM »

Both symphonies. It’s not just the performances that are spellbinding, but the recording quality too (live from Avery Fisher Hall, a notoriously difficult venue): outstanding clarity and perfect balances.

I've heard good things about this cycle. My favorite Nielsen cycle as of now is Schonwandt, but I think I need to check out Gilbert!

Offline classicalgeek

« Reply #50013 on: September 22, 2021, 05:30:29 PM »
Thread duty:

Been meaning to check out these arrangements of music from Wagner's operas by Henk de Vlieger, especially the recordings by Neeme Järvi. Started with Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg: An Orchestral Tribute on Spotify:

Great music and a great performance!

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #50014 on: September 22, 2021, 05:35:55 PM »
I've heard good things about this cycle. My favorite Nielsen cycle as of now is Schonwandt, but I think I need to check out Gilbert!

The concerto CD from that series is outstanding.

TD

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #50015 on: September 22, 2021, 06:27:00 PM »

Ditto Harry!  Dave  ;D

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
« Reply #50016 on: September 22, 2021, 09:38:15 PM »
Thanks gents for all the Birthday wishes, I posted already what was in the big box.

Offline Tsaraslondon

• Veteran member
    • My blog
« Reply #50017 on: September 22, 2021, 11:00:42 PM »

Davis's 2001 LSO performance of Elgar's 1st Symphony runs to about the same timings as Barbirolli's, but it just seems a lot slower, right from the rather opening theme, which sounds lugubrious rather than nobilmente. Not a patch on the Barbirolli I listened to yesterday and the symphony failed to make anywhere near the same effect.

\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
« Reply #50018 on: September 23, 2021, 12:14:35 AM »
Pyotr ll'yich Tchaikovsky.

The Sleeping Beauty, opus 66, (Complete) on two SACD's.

Bergen PO, Neeme Järvi.
Johannes Wik, Harp.
James Ehnes, Violin.
Robert de Maine, Cello.

Fast and furious, as is the custom in non balletic performances. The sound is stunning, such a lot of detail is emerging, and Järvi does not forget one of them.

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy, "Tragédie, Comédie"
« Reply #50019 on: September 23, 2021, 12:38:24 AM »
Continuing my exploration of the symphonies of Carlos Chávez, witch CD 2 (Symphony No. 2 "Sínfonía India", Symphony No. 5 and Symphony No. 6) of this set:

ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Je me suis rarement perdu de vue ; je me suis détesté, je me suis adoré ; puis, nous avons vieilli ensemble. »