Author Topic: What are you listening 2 now?  (Read 1707647 times)

DavidW

Re: What are you listening 2 now?
« Reply #50120 on: September 25, 2021, 05:01:22 AM »
I'm not a "you have no business enjoying that version!" kind of guy.

I'm in the camp of it is good to listen to both, and any serious Bruckner fan would not want to be exclusionary even if they have a strong preference.  Just imo.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #50121 on: September 25, 2021, 05:05:52 AM »

Carl Wolf is new to me, and I only bought this disc when it appeared for a few dollars.  The man has skill.  This generous sampler of romantic era starts off with Schubert's D959, and Wolf doesn't dazzle with pyrotechnics, but with finely graded touch.  He's not too the level of Volodos, but he delivers the goods in the controlled opening movement, and then after starting solemn in the Andantino, he builds to a satisfying climax.  The Scherzo is a model of crisp, rhythmically vibrant playing, and the tuneful Rondo boasts incredibly clear voices and subtle dynamics.  It's quite something.  Just when one is content with the very fine Schubert, along comes what may be the true highlight of the disc, monumental Mendelssohn.  The Op 102, No 1 Lied Ohne Worte sounds dark, weight, harmonically rich and lovely, and the Prelude and Fugue sounds like properly romanticized baroque music.  The two Chopin Nocturnes have a rich sound as well, and offer some harder hitting sections without overdoing it.  The B Flat Scherzo that closes the disc displays ample virtuosity and impact, but it also blends in incredibly nuanced, gently controlled playing.  It's a pity Mr Wolf has not recorded much more than the couple discs he has.  Dux provides superb sound.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #50122 on: September 25, 2021, 05:27:16 AM »
Beethoven: Symphony No. 5 [Schmidt-Isserstedt]

The opening to this work has almost become a cliché but this version offers something different. It has an edge; it is both robust, powerful and raw. The strings are the foundation, the woodwinds add wonderful depth and tonality and the brass adds that defining edge. In the Andante, like every movement in this presentation, there is a wonderful and powerful presence to the music making. The scoring is wonderfully presented here; I specifically note the woodwinds and the brass writing. The lower register strings also play a vital part here. The overriding power of the opening of the Scherzo is particularly wonderful. This is a wonderful, powerful and agitated presentation. The final movement is something of a tour de force with a really wonderfully and powerfully orchestral display. This is a very vital performance. Absolutely terrific stuff here!! Listen and enjoy! This has to be one of the very best of presentations of this work.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #50123 on: September 25, 2021, 05:28:00 AM »
Still more Poulenc! This time, the chamber music, on Spotify:

A delight from first note to last - Poulenc is one of those composers who I wish I could write like! I seem to remember these chamber works for winds popping up on student recitals when I was in college - they're not too long, wonderful to listen to, and a whole lot of fun! The clarinet sonata (not on this particular recording) was especially a favorite.

I'm familiar with the Naxos series, but apparently Brilliant Classics has their own complete Poulenc chamber music with Italian musicians. Has anyone heard that?

That is a really wonderful CD.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline John Copeland

• Veteran member
  • Messiaen is playing...
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever is posted here...
« Reply #50124 on: September 25, 2021, 05:35:05 AM »

The opening to this work has almost become a cliché but this version offers something different. It has an edge; it is both robust, powerful and raw. The strings are the foundation, the woodwinds add wonderful depth and tonality and the brass adds that defining edge. In the Andante, like every movement in this presentation, there is a wonderful and powerful presence to the music making. The scoring is wonderfully presented here; I specifically note the woodwinds and the brass writing. The lower register strings also play a vital part here. The overriding power of the opening of the Scherzo is particularly wonderful. This is a wonderful, powerful and agitated presentation. The final movement is something of a tour de force with a really wonderfully and powerfully orchestral display. This is a very vital performance. Absolutely terrific stuff here!! Listen and enjoy! This has to be one of the very best of presentations of this work.

Wow.  Just the kind of review I love to read!  It sounds like everything I want it to be.  For that reason...I must listen asap!   ;D

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #50125 on: September 25, 2021, 05:38:48 AM »
Wow.  Just the kind of review I love to read!  It sounds like everything I want it to be.  For that reason...I must listen asap!   ;D

I certainly found it to be thrilling. I hope that you enjoy it too  :)

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #50126 on: September 25, 2021, 05:39:21 AM »

Hurray for Isserstedt !  :)

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #50127 on: September 25, 2021, 05:48:19 AM »
Hurray for Isserstedt !  :)

Yes, indeed, Jan. I am really liking this cycle so far even though I did not find it too exciting first time around. How wrong I was  :o

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #50128 on: September 25, 2021, 06:04:15 AM »
Varèse: Ecuatorial [Lyndon-Gee]

Offline VonStupp

• Amazon Public Profile
    Backtracking through my catalog
« Reply #50129 on: September 25, 2021, 06:11:26 AM »
Felix Mendelssohn
String Symphonies 1-6

Gewandhaus - Kurt Masur
(rec. 1971)

Just listened:

With these early 8-12 minute, 3-movement string symphonies, I can see where Mendelssohn's love of the Baroque comes from. Lots of whirlwind unison strings and perpetual Baroque motor rhythms with simple textures and structures. You can sense an eye twinkle every once in a while when Mendelssohn adds a distant borrowed chord. The 4th SS's slow movement begins with a 'song without words' type melody that Mendelssohn becomes known for, but he doesn't quite know what to do with it yet, and it goes nowhere.

Most interesting in listening to each of these though, is how clearly you can sense what Mendelssohn has learned between writing each symphony. You can aurally imagine his composition teacher sitting down with him and telling him to try one extra technique, and he applies it in the next symphony, and so on for the rest.

I expected Masur and the Gewandhaus to be heavy and impenetrable in these teen works, but not so. Masur moves things along, and the Gewandhaus may even be pared down. This must have been an early collaboration on their part, and a very early collection of these works after these scores appeared in print sometime in the 50's.

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #50130 on: September 25, 2021, 06:18:16 AM »
CD: 33

“Wolferl”

Symphony № 40 in g minor, K. 550
Symphony № 33 in Bb K. 319
Symphony № 29 in A, K. 201 (186a)

For myself, the Bb Symphony slots into the nice but inessential Mozart category.
If I were less the composer and more the musicologist, I would research the parenthetical cataloguing of the A Major Symphony. As it is, I am content to have my curiosity tickled.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #50131 on: September 25, 2021, 06:20:27 AM »
Beethoven

Symphony No.5

When I look at what members put forward as their best cycle, I rarely see these recordings.
What's wrong with these recordings, the articulations are so refreshing especially when compared to the Karajan recordings from about the same period.
With Isserstedt no effect is sought, which is often the case with many available recordings, if only to stand out in all that crowd.
These recordings are often described as middle of the road, an assessment that misleads many.
It is also not a good description, everything is present in a beautiful balance, the music unfolds in all its nuances without forgetting the big picture. When I say that these are honest interpretations, a negative connotation arises again. What I mean is that optimal justice is done to the intentions contained in the score.
The symphony begins rhythmically pulsating with an eye for lyricism that is not exaggerated.
Beethoven is only more human because of this unpretentious approach.
The tempos chosen are lower than is usual in our modern times",
I would say "so what"

Since we have more time, everything has to go faster.

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #50132 on: September 25, 2021, 06:37:03 AM »
Koechlin

La Course de Printemps

Offline Dry Brett Kavanaugh

• Veteran member
    Eric Dolphy, Persian music, Sorabji, Scriabin, Sex Pistols
« Reply #50133 on: September 25, 2021, 07:00:16 AM »
Amadeo Roldan: Suite de La Rebambaramba.

• Veteran member
« Reply #50134 on: September 25, 2021, 07:02:02 AM »
A Hindemithian night:

Der Schwanendreher

The peak of wit. Vintage Hindemith. And what a razor-shape performance this is. The best combination, perhaps?

Nice set!

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #50135 on: September 25, 2021, 07:06:49 AM »

Gustav Mahler: Symphony No.8 in E-flat major. Georg Solti, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, too many choirs and soloists to list

The only music that makes any sense to me at the moment.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #50136 on: September 25, 2021, 07:09:30 AM »

Veni, Creator Spiritus
mentes tuorum visita.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

• Veteran member
« Reply #50137 on: September 25, 2021, 07:11:29 AM »

Gustav Mahler: Symphony No.8 in E-flat major. Georg Solti, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, too many choirs and soloists to list

I re-read Solti’s memoir a few weeks ago. He talks about various recording sessions for Decca. It was a nice read.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #50138 on: September 25, 2021, 07:12:16 AM »
David Diamond, Romeo and Juliet, recording by Gerard Schwarz and the Seattle Symphony

An engaging piece with some colorful, vigorous orchestral writing, poignant melodies and harmonies. Beautifully performed and recorded.

Intrigued to read in the recording notes that there was a recording released by Columbia on 78 rpm shellac discs. I wonder if it is possible to track that down on CD or download.
Romeo and Juliet and the Third Symphony make that arguably my favourite Diamond CD.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline John Copeland

• Veteran member
  • Messiaen is playing...
    Whatever is posted here...
« Reply #50139 on: September 25, 2021, 07:17:17 AM »

So I have had a listen!
As Traverso says, "...The tempos chosen are lower than is usual in our modern times....so what?"
I did think it half a beat slower than expected, but the symphony above is well rounded, consistent, everything is in it's place, no fancy stuff, and more solid than whizz bang 'modern times' interpretations.  It definitely has powerful undertones, never overstated, but mighty in delivery.  Thanks aligreto, it was worth the journey!   ;D