What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iota

Quote from: Klavier on September 30, 2021, 01:40:51 PM
I agree--it's great! I also enjoy this Beethoven recording:

Thanks, that's good to hear, it's on the to-listen list.  :)

Mandryka

A performance of a 15 minute lay - qui n'auroit autre deport. The singing is quite eloquent, the style is old fashioned but that's not a deal breaker necessarily. Lots of vocal effects, but it is poetic, meaningful somehow, rather than an empty display of technique.  The problem is the instrumental music, which borders on orientalist cliché.

Anyway, listening to it really made me think how good Machaut was at writing melodies.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Klavier

Love it!

Traverso

Quote from: (: premont :) on October 02, 2021, 11:34:54 AM
I own ten complete Apparatus Musico-Organisticus sets plus about a dozen recordings of individual pieces from the work, some of these containing more than seven of the toccatas.

My all time favorite is Heinz-Markus Göttsche, maybe a tad oldfashioned but grandiose and expressive.

The most agreable modern complete sets come IMO from Kelemen and Haselböck.

I always found Ullman and Radulescu uninspiring.

I did enjoy listening to the nine Toccatas played by Ullman. I am certainly interested in your recommendations and will listen to the recordings with Kelemen in the coming days   

premont

Quote from: Traverso on October 02, 2021, 01:40:35 PM

I did enjoy listening to the nine Toccatas played by Ullman. I am certainly interested in your recommendations and will listen to the recordings with Kelemen in the coming days   :)

Why not all twelve?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

SonicMan46

Chadwick, George Whitefield (1854-1931) - String Quartets & Symphonies w/ performers on the cover art.  Brief bio below - Chadwick entered New England Conservatory as a "special student" in 1872; realizing that his musical career in the U.S. would be limited without further studies in Europe, in 1877, he headed to Germany like many other composers of his generation, and studied in Leipzig under Carl Reinecke and Salomon Jadassohn; later, Chadwick had compositional studies with Josef Rheinberger in Munich.

Continuing perusing my 'American Classical' collection - now on Chadwick - own just five discs - the first two up for a listen - Dave :)

QuoteGeorge Whitefield Chadwick was an American composer. Along with John Knowles Paine, Horatio Parker, Amy Beach, Arthur Foote, and Edward MacDowell, he was a composer of what is called the Second New England School of American composers of the late 19th century.His works included several operas, three symphonies, five string quartets, tone poems, incidental music, songs and choral anthems. Along with a group of other composers collectively known as the Boston Six, Chadwick was one of those responsible for the first significant body of concert music by composers from the United States. (Source)

Mirror Image

First-Listen Saturday

Adams, JL
Become River
Seattle Symphony
Morlot

Essentially, the work is a 15 minute largo, but it is wholly gorgeous and one I'll be revisiting as there's much going on underneath the music's surface. The thing I find with John Luther Adams is that his work needs repeat listens in order to hear everything that's buried or not detectable by the ear on first-listen. It's kind of Sibelius' 6th to use a random example. There's no way one listen could justify knowing a work of such beauty.

bhodges

Kurt Weill: Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny (dir. Barrie Kosky for Komische Oper Berlin, livestream from today, available through 29 October)

So far, quite interesting, and as usual, the audio and video quality are outstanding.

https://www.komische-oper-berlin.de/en/whats-on/a-z/mahagonny/

--Bruce

Klavier

I finished listening to this set with No.103 and 104--magnificent all around!

André

Quote from: SonicMan46 on October 02, 2021, 01:51:10 PM
Chadwick, George Whitefield (1854-1931) - String Quartets & Symphonies w/ performers on the cover art.  Brief bio below - Chadwick entered New England Conservatory as a "special student" in 1872; realizing that his musical career in the U.S. would be limited without further studies in Europe, in 1877, he headed to Germany like many other composers of his generation, and studied in Leipzig under Carl Reinecke and Salomon Jadassohn; later, Chadwick had compositional studies with Josef Rheinberger in Munich.

Continuing perusing my 'American Classical' collection - now on Chadwick - own just five discs - the first two up for a listen - Dave :)

I have that disc of symphonies 2 and 3, Dave but haven't given it a spin yet. What are your impressions ?  :)

André

The 5th under Rodzinski. This 1954 Westminster recording with the Royal Philharmonic (Beecham's orchestra at the time) still sounds quite well. At 41 minutes it's the slowest of 3 performances of the work I know by this conductor. The other two (Cleveland and New York) clock in at 39 minutes. Most performances of the work are around 47-50 minutes long. Rodzinski doesn't rush it off its feet - not even in the coda. True, he's searingly intense but not unduly hasty. It's a dramatic, sharply pointed performance in which the orchestra are clearly on their toes. It may lack repose and gravity in the adagio (my feeling), but it's a valid approach. Mravinsky and Kondrashin have similar timings, except in the finale in which they take the slower, faux-triumphant approach.

Mirror Image

NP:

Berg
Violinkonzert, "Zur Erinnerung an einen Engel"
Anne-Sophie Mutter, violin
CSO
Levine

foxandpeng

George Antheil
Symphony #4, '1942'
John Storgårds
BBC Philharmonic
Chandos

I very much like this recording of #4, which I think is a much underrated piece of music.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

SonicMan46

Quote from: André on October 02, 2021, 03:26:19 PM
I have that disc of symphonies 2 and 3, Dave but haven't given it a spin yet. What are your impressions ?  :)

Hi André - well, 19th century Germanic as expected from his European training - I enjoyed; Järvi conducts a great orchestra at its time well and the recorded sound is excellent - a review attached that may further persuade you to give the disc a listen - let us know your thoughts.  :)  Dave

Mirror Image

Another Adams-a-thon:

John's Book of Alleged Dances
Kronos Quartet

Scheherazade.2
Leila Josefowicz, violin
St. Louis SO
Adams

Doctor Atomic
Julia Bullock, Gerald Finley et. al.
BBC Symphony Orchestra, BBC Singers
Adams

All of these works are first-listens.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Traverso on October 02, 2021, 09:53:58 AM
This is the LP I have

So far as I know not available as a CD,however,I have a sampler that contains the Muffat Toccata prima  but not released in the Leonhardt edition.

I have recordings by Kelemen, Haselbock, and Falcioni.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 02, 2021, 05:35:03 PM
Another Adams-a-thon:

John's Book of Alleged Dances
Kronos Quartet

Scheherazade.2
Leila Josefowicz, violin
St. Louis SO
Adams

Doctor Atomic
Julia Bullock, Gerald Finley et. al.
BBC Symphony Orchestra, BBC Singers
Adams

All of these works are first-listens.

Looks like no many people that lately are following your musical journeys this time, John. It looks like your namesake is not enough popular in here, doesn't him? He's more popular on the another forum (for some reason)  ???

You're often quite organized and manages to distribute the space of the cover arts uniformly.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: foxandpeng on October 02, 2021, 04:44:15 PM
George Antheil
Symphony #4, '1942'
John Storgårds
BBC Philharmonic
Chandos

I very much like this recording of #4, which I think is a much underrated piece of music.

Another alluring Cowboy gringo composer  ;D

Love his symphonies and style despite being heavily influenced by Shostakovich and Prokofiev, mostly, I enjoy quite a good deal.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot