What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka (+ 2 Hidden) and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mirror Image

VonStupp

Georges Bizet
Symphony in C

NYPO - Leonard Bernstein
(rec. 1963)

Per a polling thread discussion:

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Karl Henning

BMOP playing Babbitt's Composition for 12 instruments and All Set.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

classicalgeek

Sibelius
Symphony no. 5
Symphony no. 7
Berlin Philharmonic
Herbert von Karajan

(on Spotify)

I might have underestimated how much I liked Karajan's Sibelius - outstanding performances. I've never heard the Seventh done better!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Karl Henning

The Tallis Scholars singing Josquin's Missa pange lingua.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: classicalgeek on October 19, 2021, 03:13:08 PM
Sibelius
Symphony no. 5
Symphony no. 7
Berlin Philharmonic
Herbert von Karajan

(on Spotify)

I might have underestimated how much I liked Karajan's Sibelius - outstanding performances. I've never heard the Seventh done better!

Berglund joins my list of favorite recordings of the Seventh, also Blomstedt and Segerstam. Järvi on DG spoils it to me, frustratingly. I was quite disappointed when I heard it some while ago. This symphony needs to flow effortlessly, unfold organically and cohesively. This is a work of my most heartfelt sentiments and tastes. Sibelius had reached his creative symphonic output up to this point, only leaving Tapiola out as a significant piece. His symphonic journey (the seven numbered + Kullervo) is of outstanding originality and distinctiveness, having a voice very of his own.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

classicalgeek

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on October 19, 2021, 03:31:03 PM
Berglund joins my list of favorite recordings of the Seventh, also Blomstedt and Segerstam. Järvi on DG spoils it to me, frustratingly. I was quite disappointed when I heard it some while ago. This symphony needs to flow effortlessly, unfold organically and cohesively. This is a work of my most heartfelt sentiments and tastes. Sibelius had reached his creative symphonic output up to this point, only leaving Tapiola out as a significant piece. His symphonic journey (the seven numbered + Kullervo) is of outstanding originality and distinctiveness, having a voice very of his own.

I remember enjoying both Blomstedt's cycle and Berglund's cycle with the Helsinki Philharmonic quite a bit. The Seventh is definitely a valedictory statement, a summation, even though Sibelius lived another thirty years! Agreed that his works, and particularly his symphonies and orchestral works, are unique in all of music!

Speaking of 'Tapiola', just heard the contents of this disc on Spotify:

I've heard better Finlandias, but Swan of Tuonela, Valse Triste, and Tapiola are done beautifully.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Cato on October 19, 2021, 07:34:26 AM
And a symphony for 4 pianos (supposedly evoking Also Sprach Zarathustra

By Ivan Wyschnegradsky!

The Scherzo at 9:30 or so is not to be missed!

https://www.youtube.com/v/eAS5hWrZBjE

:o
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

André

Disc 1, music of Bernd Aloysius Zimmermann. Program: Alagoana (ballet); Phototopsis, Prelude for large orchestra; Symphony in One Movement; Stille und Umkehr, sketches for orchestra.

Quite a program. Very impressive. I love his opera Die Soldaten, and this is on the same level of daring and invention.

Mirror Image

Quote from: classicalgeek on October 19, 2021, 03:13:08 PM
Sibelius
Symphony no. 5
Symphony no. 7
Berlin Philharmonic
Herbert von Karajan

(on Spotify)

I've loved HvK's Sibelius on DG on first-listen. You may want to consider this set:

Mirror Image

NP:

Shostakovich
Symphony No. 6 in B minor, Op. 54
LSO
Previn

Spotted Horses

Quote from: classicalgeek on October 19, 2021, 04:12:23 PM
I remember enjoying both Blomstedt's cycle and Berglund's cycle with the Helsinki Philharmonic quite a bit. The Seventh is definitely a valedictory statement, a summation, even though Sibelius lived another thirty years! Agreed that his works, and particularly his symphonies and orchestral works, are unique in all of music!

Speaking of 'Tapiola', just heard the contents of this disc on Spotify:

I've heard better Finlandias, but Swan of Tuonela, Valse Triste, and Tapiola are done beautifully.

That recording is my favorite recording of Tapiola, and one of my favorite recordings by Karajan.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: André on October 19, 2021, 04:32:46 PM

Disc 1, music of Bernd Aloysius Zimmermann. Program: Alagoana (ballet); Phototopsis, Prelude for large orchestra; Symphony in One Movement; Stille und Umkehr, sketches for orchestra.

Quite a program. Very impressive. I love his opera Die Soldaten, and this is on the same level of daring and invention.

For now I'm only familiar with Photoptosis, and it's a terrific piece. Zimmermann deserves much more attention, certainly.

Noam Chomsky

JBS

Tonight's program was

Mahler Symphony 4 [Mitsuko Sharei mezzosoprano]

Opus 13 in a minor
Opus 44 number 1 in D Major

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

T. D.

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on October 19, 2021, 07:05:54 PM
For now I'm only familiar with Photoptosis, and it's a terrific piece. Zimmermann deserves much more attention, certainly.

I'm a fan of Zimmermann. His Cello Concerto is very good IMO. I also recommend Antiphonen, which incorporates many textual quotes (esp. Joyce's Ulysses), but it's weirder.
His work does tend to be depressing...see for instance https://www.secondinversion.org/2018/03/20/bernd-alois-zimmermann-at-100/ for a short but well-done profile.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: T. D. on October 19, 2021, 07:36:48 PM
I'm a fan of Zimmermann. His Cello Concerto is very good IMO. I also recommend Antiphonen, which incorporates many textual quotes (esp. Joyce's Ulysses), but it's weirder.
His work does tend to be depressing...see for instance https://www.secondinversion.org/2018/03/20/bernd-alois-zimmermann-at-100/ for a short but well-done profile.

Thanks for that. Reccomendations are always welcome. I've just heard a work by him and, again, very consistent and engrossing music.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 19, 2021, 04:48:59 PM
I've loved HvK's Sibelius on DG on first-listen. You may want to consider this set:

I just received the HvK Sibelius set which contains two fine Tapiolas.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on October 19, 2021, 09:59:58 PM
I just received the HvK Sibelius set which contains two fine Tapiolas.

Excellent, Jeffrey. It's a great set.

Madiel

Quote from: SonicMan46 on October 19, 2021, 07:00:04 AM
Mozart, WA (1756-1791) - Violin Sonatas, V.3-5 w/ Alina Ibragimova and Cedric Tiberghien - now on volume 3 and likely will finish up tomorrow - listened to the first two releases yesterday and left a review attachment, if interested.  Wolfie composed about 3 dozen Violin Sonatas which are split into the 'Childhood Works', 1762-66 (16): KV 6-9 (1762-64), KV 10-15 (1764), and KV 26-31 (1766); and the 'Mature Works', 1778-88 (20, a handful incomplete): KV from 296 to 547 (not inclusive of course; see specific Köchel numbers HERE)  Dave :)

Are you personally finding the series satisfying? I've had my eye on it as a potential option for the repertoire. I have the same performers' Ravel album and enjoy it.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Irons

Janacek: Idyll for String Orchestra.

A pitiful thirteen entries on Discogs for the excellent Hans-Hubert Schonzeler.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.