What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spotted Horses, mahler10th and 14 Guests are viewing this topic.

Cato

Quote from: John Copeland on October 20, 2021, 04:13:58 PM

Henning:  Opus 129 — From the Pit of a Cave in the Cloud. Text by Leo Schulte. First performance at King's Chapel in Boston.

https://www.youtube.com/v/H1GX6gAmom8

I like this.  It's a pity we can't hear it (yet?) balanced and mastered on CD, because something this good shouldn't really go amiss.  I wish to have heard it in-situ, but this live recording at Boston's King's Chapel, 27 Oct 2015 is more than enough .  The libretto is quite vivid (!) and the deployment of instruments which could even be heard as other voices deep from the 'Pit of a Cave in the Cloud' nail things perfectly.

(The Cops came to get Henning outside around 4m:30s, but must have heard the playing and decided not to arrest him.. :laugh:)

Hi John!

Yes!  A proper recording "balanced and mastered on a CD" would be wonderful!

The text is derived from a scene in From the Caves of the Cloud.  Here is my analysis of the score from some years ago:

Karl Henning's
chamber song From the Pit of a Cave in the Cloud is a poem based upon a "soliloquy" in my novel From the Caves of the Cloud.  I believe the poem stands alone, but since Karl has read the novel, he has a deeper understanding of the narrator.

Karl also knows that I have a theory that the music for a text can become the text's unconscious, a symbolic maelstrom of the text's secrets and drives. Whether he agrees with this idea or not, his brilliant music acts as much more than an accompaniment to the singer's melodies and an elucidation of the text's emotional content.

As an example of the richness of Karl's conception, listen to the very first bar, where the bass flute and the soprano recorder have motifs which almost mirror each other.  Keeping in mind the exotic, faraway desert story in the text, these motifs, and others to come, have a melismata-like aspect to evoke that atmosphere.  Their 5-for-4 figures will be very important throughout the work.  The quasi-A minor aspect of these motifs is accompanied by a quasi-D minor in the flute and horn. The flute offers its own melismatic quality with a 7:8 figure, itself a variation on the bass flute's opening 5:4 figure.  With all the instruments in counterpoint, the effect is idiosyncratic: if one took away the flute, one would have a nearly neo-classical opening, but with the addition of the flute, we have instead something quite original and even combative, in keeping with the unsettling nature of what is to come.

In the soprano's opening line (bars 5-8), listen to how the note D dominates the melody, and with the longest notes given to C, Bb, and Eb, the latter note creating a kind of "double minor" effect.  The flute and recorder offer a variation of the opening bar: the slower rhythmic irregularities in the soprano's line mirror the ones in these instruments, and thereby one senses the tension in this instrumental "unconscious," which was emphasized earlier in bars 2-4 by the horn's refusal to form an octave or perfect fifth with the others, until, after the silence, it and the bass flute play the fifth G-D on the word "Transformed," as if the silence had caused a transformation of consonance from the dissonant chord in bar 4.  This consonant transformation will prove to be fleeting.  Also note how the instrumental music mirrors the soprano's motif for "Transformed, Novembering the bells of God's soul."

A diminished fifth is heard in the voice several times on key words: "cocoons" (bars 11-12), "vile days" (bar 13), "dictatormenting" (bars 20-21), and "vile ways" (bars 29-30, 33-34).  Perhaps the most striking, gasp-inducing effect is in bars 39-40, where the soprano's 5:4 16th-notes on "strife" offer a connection back to the bass flute's opening 5:4 8th notes.  Strife, we realize now, began the song, and promises to continue through it.

Keep in mind that the diminished fifth, or tritone, was once referred to as "diabolus in musica" (i.e. the devil in music) by theorists.  The interval continues to be seen e.g. in the bass flute line (bars 41-47).  In Letter C, listen to how the tenor recorder and voice echo the opening bar, but in a rhythmic variation, and how the quasi D minor is back.  Note also the tension in pausing on the word "future" in bar 49, and then starting with "future" on bar 52, the 3:2 figure and the figure on "gray" in bar 54 both echoing the tenor recorder's forte comment in bar 49.  Such devices give the music a self-referential and very tight structure.  One might be singing of "future dreams" which can seem vague and amorphous, but their music has a definite map!

Another fine example of how tonality is not completely forsaken is heard in bars 63-67 in the bass flute, where E major triplets contrast with G minor ones, an F# minor grouping interrupts in bar 66, until the singer's line "Do you know her?" ends on G minor, the flattened A giving the effect of a "double minor" sound as with the Eb in the earlier pages.

In Letter D, the text describes the arrival of "the desert men" and their violence, and so the horn and the tenor recorder begin an odd kind of march in 8th notes, often in descending triplets.  This downward marching idea is later heard in key phrases from the soprano: bar 78 has the notes Eb-C-A (note the tritone!) for "in the an-(cient)," bar 82 has "for killing" using C#-Bb-A, and bar 83 uses the same notes for the words "and murdered."  The faraway nature of the desert is exemplified by the melismatas which often use triplets, e.g. bars 78-79 for "ancient robes," bar 84 on again "ancient," bars 85-86 on "modern" (N.B. the same Eb-C-A for "whose mo-dern"), and again 94-96 for "in an ancient robe."

But the vocal line contains some marvelous subtleties! It attempts to stay in a quasi- A minor, but now C# and D# often invade, joining the Bb (e.g. bars 83-84). The horn in fact began Letter D on C# (Ab=Db=C#) in bar 72, and its first triplet in bar 75 uses D#-C#-Bb.  So when the soprano sings bars 78-80, 83-84, and 87-88, the C# and D# are tense and exotic additions to the score.  The flute and piccolo offer echoes, presages, and variations in their lines, as well as punctuating C# and D# (e.g. bars 83-84, 87-88).  The singer has an echo herself in bars 87-88, an echo of the opening (bars 6-7): listen to those three notes C#-Bb-A in "fools were willing to believe," with the voice rising a tritone from A to D#, complete with a melismata on the last syllable of "believe."  Perfection!

And then the vocal line becomes ever more chromatic, with slithery minor seconds emphasized, until a long melismata, again on the word "believe" (bar 105), leads to the dissonant climax on "mercy" (bar 110).  The dissonant background in Letters H and I properly lend unpleasant color to an unpleasant part of the story.  In Letter J, the unyielding character of the "maiden of the north" is symbolized by a chanting adherence to the note B, and then rising in tension to D# in bars 128-141.  And listen to how the vocal line keeps the maiden's stubbornness symbolized by tightly hovering around one note in bars 152-162, which will be heard again in bars 185-193.  The tonality is now in the area of G minor, and we hear this, complete with a tritone, in bars 164-167, and 169-172.

The flute's figurations in Letter P remind one of the earlier dialogue between the horn and the recorder in Letters E and F.  Of interest is how the figurations stop on the words "her spirit to uncurl," and how the word "uncurl" is placed on B (bars 213-214), the note symbolizing the girl's refusal to surrender.  The nervously happy triplets return, and, in a great mark of irony, the note B returns in a B major ending to the section in bars 236-238 on the words "and the world is right."

The world is not right, however, despite the desert master's hopes, and the Flutterzunge effect (Letters S and T) for his demise between the girl's legs is highly unsettling, even weird, as if the execution is being observed by birds from another planet.  Music from earlier returns in Letter U, compare bars 75 ff. with bars 262 ff., and the word "evil" is emphasized in a variation of earlier motifs (e.g. compare "with soul" bars 102-103).  I was particularly struck by the descending motif for the words "Purpose is born from freedom" in a quasi-G minor in bars 268-269, which contrasts with the ascending motif for "I knew the purpose of my life" in bars 14-16.  There is also in bars 268-269 a disturbing reference to bars 80-82 and the words "with modern tools for killing" (q.v.), for the new-found freedom from the slavers will not be used to escape far away, but to execute the slavers for their crimes.  And again, in a marvelous bit of aural symbolism, listen to the notes for the word "hands" in bar 275 ("the hands of the slavers") with the notes for "evil" in bar 265. 

These examples show what I meant by the music creating an "unconscious" for the text.

Bars 284-286 bring back our death-dealing friends C#-Bb-A (see bars 82-83) for the words "for vengeance" and "with the ax" and again in bars 290-291 for "girl did break the bands..."  And now, with the slaves freed, the horn calls in Letters Y and Z announce that vengeance is on the march, an ironic reminder of the slavers on the march in bars 111-113.

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Karl Henning

Quote from: John Copeland on October 20, 2021, 04:13:58 PM
Henning:  Opus 129 — From the Pit of a Cave in the Cloud. Text by Leo Shulte. First performance at King's Chapel in Boston.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1GX6gAmom8
(I don't know how to insert the video)

I like this.  It's a pity we can't hear it (yet?) balanced and mastered on CD, because something this good shouldn't really go amiss.  I wish to have heard it in-situ, but this live recording at Boston's King's Chapel, 27 Oct 2015 is more than enough .  The libretto is quite vivid (!) and the deployment of instruments which could even be heard as other voices deep from the 'Pit of a Cave in the Cloud' nail things perfectly.

(The Cops came to get Henning outside around 4m:30s, but must have heard the playing and decided not to arrest him.. :laugh: )

Delighted that you enjoyed it, John! A curious story that goes with the piece is, that the soprano I first had in mind for this performance bowed out because she found the text traumatic.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

classicalgeek

Backtracking to last night, more Haydn from Colin Davis:

Haydn
Symphony no. 95
Symphony no. 98
Symphony no. 104
Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra
Sir Colin Davis

A mixed bag for me - I've never much cared for Symphony no. 95, though it's a perfectly fine performance in this box. They do the 98th very well too. I found no. 104 a touch disappointing; Davis is a touch cool here, and he lacks the excitement I've heard in my favorite versions (Beecham comes to mind).

So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Cato

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 20, 2021, 05:19:58 PM
Delighted that you enjoyed it, John! A curious story that goes with the piece is, that the soprano I first had in mind for this performance bowed out because she found the text traumatic.

And bowed out not too long before the performance!   0:)   Apparently she had not paid close attention to the text earlier...or had never touched it until things were almost too late!

Here is the text:

Transformed,
Novembering the bells of God's soul,
Encased,
Unraveling cocoons of vile days,
I knew the purpose of my life.

Evil,
Dictatormenting the hells of my soul
Unswayed,
By slaughtering the worms of vile ways,
I knew the purpose of my strife.

That young girl,
A walking husk burned and enslaved
And burning with future dreams of limbs
gray and bleached!
Can you see her?

That young girl,
A desert rock boiled and despoiled
And boiling with daggered teeth and hands
Weird and wild!
Do you know her?

The desert men in the ancient robes
With modern tools for killing,
Burned and murdered the ancient town
Whose modern fools were willing
To believe their promises of mercy.

One desert man in an ancient robe
Sought young girls here for pilling.
Scorned, he captured one certain girl
With soul and mind unwilling
To believe his promises of mercy.

Branded the boys, banded the girls,
For the master lay in silk
With desires for skin of milk,
And the maidens must still his thirst.

Whipping the boys, stripping the girls,
And the maidens cried in vain,
In the tent a man inane
Had a dagger to change their wills.

A maiden of the north,
Of unyielding will,
Spirit of unchanging stone,
And a stone of unchanging spirit,
Remains a cave unknown.
Can you see her?

This diamond of the north,
Of undying strength,
Sneering at unbridled lust,
And a lust of unbridled sneering,
Awaits a time of trust.
Do you know her?

But the master must be obeyed!
To yield she will be made!
Beaten and racked and racked and beaten,
The diamond is cut for the master's hand,
Savaged and clubbed and clubbed and savaged,
The maiden has left for the spirit's land.

For the maiden must be amazed
By worlds that she has raised!
Golden and saved and saved and golden,
The diamond is free from the master's hand,
Savaged and clubbed and clubbed and savaged,
The maiden now lives in the spirit's land.

Fury failed to sway the girl:
Kindness, thought the man,
Will force her body to unfurl,
Kindness, thought the man
Will force her spirit to uncurl,
And then the world is right!

Kindness then the girl did hear,
Trickster, thought the girl,
I'll bring my body to his ear,
Kindness, thought the man,
Has to the maiden made me dear,
And now the world is right!

The dictator of the sands,
Tormentor and master of closed young belles
Now gasps to see the girl's legs smile,
And the maiden holds her breath,
As her legs so swift and with grim delight
Clamp and choke and strangle his neck,
While the maiden holds her breath,
The dictator of the sands,
Tormentor and master of closed young shells
Now gasps to stay alive and scream,
But the maiden brings him death.

Freedom is born from evil's demise,
Purpose is born from freedom:
In the robes of the dead man,
The prince of the sands,
The girl escaped the hands
Of the slavers.

Courage is born from evil's demise,
Constant the need for vengeance,
With the ax of her new soul,
The queen of the sands,
The girl did break the bands
Of the captives.

Roaming the desert and questing for evil,
With knives and fire and guns and ropes
The Great Protector
Did stab and burn and shoot and hang
The demons dancing around her.

Freeing the captives while questing for evil,
With sharks in heart and hands of knives
The Great Protector
Did hunt and stalk and clutch and slay
The devils killing around her.

Saving others,
Cleansing the desert,
Did she save and cleanse herself?
Sisters and brothers,
I am now alone,
I am

Transformed,
Encased,
I am the purpose of my life.

Evil,
Dictatormenting the hells of my soul
Unswayed,
By slaughtering the worms of vile ways.

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Mirror Image

NP:

Vaughan Williams
Symphony No. 8 in D minor
LSO
Thomson

Mirror Image

NP:

MacMillan
The World's Ransoming
Cello Concerto

Christine Pendrill, cor anglais
Raphael Wallfisch, cello
BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra
Osmo Vänskä

mahler10th

Quote from: Cato on October 20, 2021, 05:35:29 PM
And bowed out not too long before the performance!   0:)   Apparently she had not paid close attention to the text earlier...or had never touched it until things were almost too late!

Here is the text:

Transformed,
Encased,
I knew the purpose of my life...

RE - Henning:  Opus 129 — From the Pit of a Cave in the Cloud. Text by Leo Schulte. First performance at King's Chapel in Boston.
Thanks for that, and for the musical analysis (some of which is over my head)!  Very handy.  When I get up later I can listen again and follow the words more clearly, and have a greater understanding of musical emphasis in the piece.  This will be great...!   ;D

Madiel

Quote from: SonicMan46 on October 20, 2021, 07:28:01 AM
Hi Madiel - attached are some reviews I left a few days ago.  What I like best about these performances is how the violin/piano blend together beautifully, each having an equal share; Ibragimova plays with little or no vibrato (unlike Mutter w/ Orkis) and both bring Wolfie's juvenilia to a higher level; the Hyperion modern sound is excellent (not true of some of the more 'historic' recordings that receive strong recommendations); the double-discs are packed in single size jewel boxes - my only complaint is that 4 instead of 5 sets could have been released, saving me storage, but a very minor issue - also, the works are not chronologic, so a mixture of youthful and mature sonatas.  Now, I really like my Podger/Cooper PI discs of the complete works (on 8 discs in a small box) - cannot give a preference at the moment not having done any A-B comparisons?  Dave :)

P.S. finally, all five sets are still available at BRO HERE - for those in the USA, shipping is cheap (just over $6 USD to me in North Carolina) - overseas shipping would likely be acceptable w/ a LARGE order, I would suspect?

Thanks. Podger is another one on my potential list actually.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

kyjo

Quote from: Daverz on October 20, 2021, 03:54:16 PM
Bloch: Concerto Grosso No. 1

Over 60 years old and still a great recording.  Marriner also recorded the Bloch, but I don't think I've ever encountered it on CD.

A stupendous recording of this great work.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Vaughan Williams: Symphony no. 3 A Pastoral Symphony

It had been too long since I'd listened to this magical, haunting work. This recording is almost uniformly highly praised, and rightly so!

Braga Santos: Symphony no. 5 Virtus lusitaniae

It's often tempting for me to say that I regret Braga Santos' shift to a more modernist style in the 1960s, but after revisiting this stunning work I would be hesitant to make such a statement. This darkly disturbing, atmospheric, and imaginative music held my attention from first note to last. I particularly love the exotic writing for marimbas in the second movement as well as the terrifyingly imposing buildup in the first half of the finale.

Franck: Piano Quintet (Hamelin/J. Bell/P. Frank/N. Imai/S. Isserlis) (from a digital album on Spotify)

The outer movements are filled with drama, passion, and often dense chromatic writing. I find the slow movement to be rather less engaging, preventing this from being one of my very favorite piano quintets.

Beethoven: 3 sets of variations for cello and piano

It's easy to overlook these inventive little gems in Beethoven's output. Particularly delightful (and not without depth) are the 7 Variations on Bei Männern from Die Zauberflote (1801).

Respighi: Poema autunnale

I'm not sure why I didn't respond to this work the first time I had listened - maybe it was the recording I listened to (the one on Chandos, I believe). Anyway, this is a stunning recording of a incandescently gorgeous work that is truly Respighi at his colorful, lyrical best. A prime candidate for the "non-concerto works for soloist and orchestra" thread, for sure. I'd love to hear Julia Fischer tackle the Concerto Gregoriano now!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

JBS

Quote from: Daverz on October 20, 2021, 03:54:16 PM
Martin: Petite Symphonie Concertante

Very good performance. 

Bloch: Concerto Grosso No. 1

Over 60 years old and still a great recording.  Marriner also recorded the Bloch, but I don't think I've ever encountered it on CD.

It was issued as part of this duo

The original LP is available on Amazon MP.  It so happens that the work coupled on the LP is the Martin Petite Symphonie Concertante (but conducted by Marriner)

TD
Mendelssohn
String Quartets Op 44 Numbers 2 in e minor and 3 in E Flat Major
Movements for String Quartet Op 81 Numbers 1-4 [Andante in E Major, Scherzo in a minor, Capriccio in e minor,  Fugue in E Flat Major
Pacifica String Quartet

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

NP:

Bruckner
Symphony No. 9 in D minor, WAB 109
Wiener Philharmoniker
Giulini

Traverso

John Sheppard

I love the Media vita and the three In manus tuas
There is also a very good recording with Stile Antico

Media vita
Christe Redemptor omnium
Sacris solemnis
In manus tuas I
In manus tuas II
In manus tuas III
Verbum caro

https://www.youtube.com/v/BRCZjTq6dOw

Artem

I put this on this early morning. It's curious music, evoking nature, forest, birds. However, it's probably not something I'd listen to repeatedly.

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on October 20, 2021, 09:43:58 AM

Much better on the big system - I have noticed this before - even 8 voices singing benefits from the sort of hifi that an organ or symphony demands. And the quality of the hifi really matters for my appreciation of the recording - because music is sound.

Quote from: Traverso on October 20, 2021, 01:23:29 PM
Did you like it ?

Absolutely. It sounds wonderful, amazing!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Harry

Musica Nova.
Harmonie des Nations, (1500-1700)
Hesperion XXI, Jordi Savall.

Another highlight for me from the likes of Savall and his musicians. I quite enjoy what he has on offer, and revel in the way he presents all the different styles in a comprehensible whole. Good sound too.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Quote from: Mandryka on October 21, 2021, 12:21:49 AM
Much better on the big system - I have noticed this before - even 8 voices singing benefits from the sort of hifi that an organ or symphony demands. And the quality of the hifi really matters for my appreciation of the recording - because music is sound.

Absolutely.

And that's the honest truth. But there are many that think otherwise.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Mandryka

Quote from: "Harry" on October 21, 2021, 12:25:20 AM
And that's the honest truth. But there are many that think otherwise.

Yes I know - I just don't think these people have heard a really good hifi.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Traverso

Quote from: Mandryka on October 21, 2021, 12:21:49 AM

Absolutely. It sounds wonderful, amazing!

you "sound"  much more excited than yesterday  :)