What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicalgeek, SonicMan46, Papy Oli, AnotherSpin, Que and 21 Guests are viewing this topic.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Artem on October 20, 2021, 10:59:06 PM
I put this on this early morning. It's curious music, evoking nature, forest, birds. However, it's probably not something I'd listen to repeatedly.

There are JLA pieces, which, to listen to them through once, is to listen repeatedly ....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: "Harry" on October 21, 2021, 04:13:40 AM
Dmitri Shostakovich.

Complete Symphonies.

CD III, Symphony No 4 in C minor.

Gürzenich Orchestra Koln, Dmitrij Kitajenko.
SACD.

Every bit as good as the previous CD"s . To me this begins to be very special. The detail Kitajenko gets out of the music is quite devastating and a wonderful experience.

Brilliant!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Traverso on October 21, 2021, 04:35:40 AM
Shostakovich

Great ,what else to say.

Symphony No.1
Berliner Philharmoniker

Symphony No. 15
London Philharmonic

Mariss Janson

An especially tasty Op. 141, IMO
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

71 dB

Carl Heinrich Graun - Te Deum - L'arpa festante/Basler Madrigalisten/Fritz Näf - CPO SACD.

There is something very interesting about these composers born around 1700 and operating in the Galant musical climate between Baroque and Classicism. It is kind of baroque light which makes the music airy and fresh in nature. Names like Hasse, Pergolesi, Locatelli and even C.P.E. Bach. I do like the composers of this generation and I feel they don't always get the attention they deserve.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Symphonic Addict

Amirov/Nazirova: Piano Concerto after Arabian Themes

Gosh, what a fantastic work! It would be a hit if performed in concert halls.

Smetana: Hakon Jarl

It baffles me why these independent tone poems are not as popular as My Country. Very good work.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

André

A Catholic Requiem Mass performed by german forces conducted by a Jewish conductor from Russia with lituanian, russian, mexican and italian soloists. So much for credentials based on ethnicity. This is an absolutely magnificent performance of Verdi's masterpiece, in top notch sound. The Cologne orchestra and chorus are fully up to their demanding task. All the soloists are of the first rank and I wouldn't hesitate to put all four among my top 5 artists for their respective parts. I didn't expect to be moved to use superlatives but I have to bow to the incredible musicianship and technical achievement of this version. I have long counted Karajan's Requiem (in Berlin or Vienna) as my favourite version. This now joins them.

classicalgeek

Just finished:

Milhaud
Suite provencale
La creation du monde
Boston Symphony Orchestra
Charles Munch

(on Spotify)

So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on October 21, 2021, 12:08:44 PM
Amirov/Nazirova: Piano Concerto after Arabian Themes

Gosh, what a fantastic work! It would be a hit if performed in concert halls.

Nice recording!

Traverso

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 21, 2021, 09:00:58 AM
An especially tasty Op. 141, IMO

Yes,I enjoyed it very much.In de last part I heard reminicenties that made me think of Wagner.I listened afterwards to the Askenazy recording of that adagio and there  it was not so  prominent  .

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on October 21, 2021, 02:09:32 PM
Nice recording!

I yet have to hear the other works on the CD, but yes. the program looks quite promising.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: John Copeland on October 20, 2021, 09:25:18 AM
Bantok is one of the most creative and brilliant composers England has ever produced, I wish he was more touted.  He's one of those composers whose every note I hear fills me with gratitude for beautiful music.   :)

I was very enthusiastic about his music when I started exploring it, but now my interest has diminished a little. A Celtic Symphony is in another league. I never tire of listening to it.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on October 20, 2021, 01:02:01 PM
Bax at his most inspired (Piano Quintet):

Certainly, Jeffrey. Both recordings are splendid.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on October 20, 2021, 07:45:04 PM
Braga Santos: Symphony no. 5 Virtus lusitaniae

It's often tempting for me to say that I regret Braga Santos' shift to a more modernist style in the 1960s, but after revisiting this stunning work I would be hesitant to make such a statement. This darkly disturbing, atmospheric, and imaginative music held my attention from first note to last. I particularly love the exotic writing for marimbas in the second movement as well as the terrifyingly imposing buildup in the first half of the finale.

That forbidding and "nightmarish" style allures me quite a bit as well.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Britten: Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra

This work is much more brilliant than I had thought, and what a smashing performance! Britten was a quite clever composer.

Noam Chomsky

vers la flamme

Malcolm Arnold: Symphony No.2, op.40; Symphony No.3, op.63. Andrew Penny, National Symphony Orchestra of Ireland

Happy centennial to the maestro Sir Malcolm.

Traverso

Bernard Haitink passed away, he was a conductor I always admired.He died peacefully.

amw

I'm not sure why I never picked this up earlier, it's great

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Traverso on October 21, 2021, 04:05:03 PM
Bernard Haitink passed away, he was a conductor I always admired.He died peacefully.

For real? An important loss. May he rest in peace. We'll appreciate his legacy all this life and beyond. I think he was an indefatigable great conductor among the more respected.

Noam Chomsky

vers la flamme

Quote from: Traverso on October 21, 2021, 04:05:03 PM

Damn... I'm so sorry to hear that. I was just writing the other day about how he's probably the greatest living conductor, though he retired a couple of years back. Rest in peace to the maestro. Shall have to spin one of his recordings soon. After this, perhaps:

Malcolm Arnold: Concerto for Two Pianos, Three Hands, op.104. Phyllis Sellick, Cyril Smith, Malcolm Arnold, City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra