classicalgeek

Malcolm Arnold
Symphony no. 7
Concerto for two pianos (three hands)
Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
Vernon Handley

(on Spotify)

From this set, the original Arnold symphony cycle:

The Seventh is indeed a dark and anguished work - thank you to Symphonic Addict for suggesting I give it a listen! The climax in the slow movement is just crushing. The Concerto is much more lighthearted and carefree - complete with a ragtime episode in the finale.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

foxandpeng

Alan Rawsthorne
Oboe Concerto
Cello Concerto
Symphonic Studies
David Lloyd Jones
RSNO
Naxos
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

amw

Quote from: classicalgeek on October 22, 2021, 02:41:58 PM

The Seventh is indeed a dark and anguished work - thank you to Symphonic Addict for suggesting I give it a listen! The climax in the slow movement is just crushing. The Concerto is much more lighthearted and carefree - complete with a ragtime episode in the finale.
Doing the same with my own preferred version

I wouldn't describe it as dark or anguished (but this performance is significantly faster than Handley or Penny or Arnold himself, though following the score more accurately), so much as deeply alienated; it's a symphony that accurately describes what being mentally ill is like, or in general having a barrier between you and everyone else. Anguish is much more of a normal people emotion. (And I always point this out, but possibly the best use of cowbells in the repertoire.)

(The Fantasy on a Theme of John Field, on the same disc, is also very good at capturing this particular experience.)

foxandpeng

Vagn Holmboe
String Sinfonias I - IV 'Kairos'
Owain Arwel Hughes
Camerata Wales
BIS
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Symphonic Addict

Robert Simpson: Symphony No. 9

Superlative music, organic in a way alternative to Sibelius. Maybe more cerebral? For me, it sounds like formations of cells, how the multiply giving form to a being. Cosmic stuff. A musical experience. We need more recordings of this piece. I mean, it's a masterpiece. One of my all-time favorite 9ths.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: classicalgeek on October 22, 2021, 02:41:58 PM
Malcolm Arnold
Symphony no. 7
Concerto for two pianos (three hands)
Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
Vernon Handley

(on Spotify)

Good to read! And that performance made a more coherent picture of the piece. I mean, it feels really human, natural and hysterical/schizophrenic when needed.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: amw on October 22, 2021, 04:24:26 PM
Doing the same with my own preferred version

I wouldn't describe it as dark or anguished (but this performance is significantly faster than Handley or Penny or Arnold himself, though following the score more accurately), so much as deeply alienated; it's a symphony that accurately describes what being mentally ill is like, or in general having a barrier between you and everyone else. Anguish is much more of a normal people emotion. (And I always point this out, but possibly the best use of cowbells in the repertoire.)

(The Fantasy on a Theme of John Field, on the same disc, is also very good at capturing this particular experience.)

Good points.

Noam Chomsky

André

The 7th has become my favourite among Arnold's symphonies. Or at least, the most uncompromising, an authentic Dark Night of the Soul.

Now playing:

Daverz

A Vaughan Williams Symphony No. 4 evening:

Mitropoulos

https://www.youtube.com/v/IrEQ3odk6Ts

Pappano

Thomson

And Thomson wins.  The best recording, too, with real bass (Pappano is recorded in the Barbican and Thomson in St. Jude's Church, London).  I think there are some others here on GMG that champion this recording.

Symphonic Addict

Suk: Ripening

I had underappreciated this superb creation. Angry, chromatic, moody, impressionist. As for melodic material, it could be a little diffuse, yet it mantains a cohesive narrative.

Respighi: Impressioni Brasiliane

The work has nice moments, above all in Notte tropicale. Rather evocative and nocturnal. The whole piece is a very welcome input in the orchestral suite repertoire, but to my ears, this is not Respighi at his most inspired.

Arnold: Electra - Ballet

Just terrific, very in the spirit of the fateful character. Arnold handled melodies, ongoing rhythm or motion and orchestral colour quite stupendously.

Noam Chomsky

John Copeland

Henning:  Opus 129 — From the Pit of a Cave in the Cloud. Text by Leo Shulte. First performance at King's Chapel in Boston.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1GX6gAmom8

I listened to this recently for the first time and thought it really good.  I didn't know why.  Here is a completely personal experience with 'From the Pit of a Cave in the Cloud'...
I have listened to this piece so many times now.  I read the musical notes made by Leo Schulte, some (most) of which were beyond my understanding, and I listened to the music following the libretto.  This is not the usual kind of stuff I listen to, it's not eh...a purely tonal piece, though tonality is there...but God, Hell and Damnation, I have followed it through, and I've come to understand it a wee bit better.  What a vocal job the Soprano had to do!  Some of the text is sung short, some words are singularly spread, there is an irregularity in some of the words sung which, in a way I do not understand, align with the instruments, which themselves provide a very stark 'unconscious' narrative process of the actual narrative sung.  Hell, this is extremely complex for a simple listener to get, but even if I don't understand the chemistry of creation behind it, I think this is a superb piece of music.  It is quite brutal, in every sense, savage and sinister, a fourteen minute blast of emotion, the music slaughters vile worms (you can hear the worms, even if they're not there) and the purpose of a life is revealed...and it isn't a 'delightful' purpose either..!
I find it hard as a non-musician to write about something so dramatically portrayed from a well informed perspective, this is probably complete nonsense to the librettist and composer.  Please forgive my general incomprehension, but the main point is that this music and it's words have sprinkled a wee bit of unknown magic on my ears.  Anyway, as I say, this not something I would normally listen to...but hellfire and damnation, I really do like this work!   It should be professionally recorded and released on CD (CD1 of a compilation of Henningmusik) so it's full potential can be heard outside the live environment. 
I have listened to it multiple times.  I really do like it, and I still don't know why! ;D

Symphonic Addict

Prokofiev: String Quartet No. 2

A stellar work and performance. Prokofiev in exotic mode.

Milhaud: Six chamber symphonies

The very meaning of delightful miniatures.

Noam Chomsky

Florestan

In a world gone mad and going madder still, Mozart's music is essential for the preservation of one's sanity and peace of mind.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Mandryka

Where this is valuable, I think, is from the sense of fulfilment which permeates the interpretation, something which seems quite appropriate given the lateness of the music in Marais' oeuvre. I am in fact listening to the first part of Bk 5 - I couldn't find an image.

I much prefer Savall though!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

aligreto

Vallet: Le Secret Des Muses [O'Dette]

Prelude
Passemmeze En B Mol
Bouree D'Avignon
Courante
Gaillarde De Comte Essex
Boerinneken
Les Pantalons
Praeludium
Allemande Fortune Helas Pourquoy
Fantasie La Mendiante
Soet Robbert
Gaillarde
Fantasie
Pavanne En Forme De Complainte

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on October 23, 2021, 01:33:41 AM
Vallet: Le Secret Des Muses [O'Dette]

Prelude
Passemmeze En B Mol
Bouree D'Avignon
Courante
Gaillarde De Comte Essex
Boerinneken
Les Pantalons
Praeludium
Allemande Fortune Helas Pourquoy
Fantasie La Mendiante
Soet Robbert
Gaillarde
Fantasie
Pavanne En Forme De Complainte

Quality time with this one, Fergus  :)

aligreto

JS Bach: Drama per Musica BWV 201 [Alarcón]
I was recently reading about JS Bach's not writing anything in the opera genre and a reference was made to BWV 201, Drama per Musica. I do not have this work in my collection and the fact that I had never heard it prompted me to seek it out. I found this fine presentation of the work by Les Agrémens and Choer de Chambre de Namur under the direction of Leonardo García Alarcón:

https://www.youtube.com/v/fFVFmcZkRC8

This is a wonderful live performance and is equally visually important [in its theatrically limited way] as it is aurally engaging and rewarding. It is a secular Cantata which derides the "pretty ditties" of the then modern opera style in favour of a more discerning musical style and content. I think that this is a wonderful work and that this is a particularly fine performance. One needs to lay aside 45 mins. [ or an hour for "curtain calls and an intriguing encore] of your time to listen to/watch this presentation but for me it was an hour very well spent. The musicians are excellent as are all of the vocalists both individual and choral. The obligato solo instrumental accompaniments to some of the vocal lines are just divine. The sound is also excellent. This just might convince some that still believe that the music of JS Bach is old fashioned and stuffy to change their minds. I certainly would have liked to be present at that particular concert. 

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on October 23, 2021, 02:46:04 AM
Quality time with this one, Fergus  :)

Absolutely, Jan, I look forward to finishing it tomorrow.

aligreto

Rameau:  Keyboard Works [Scott Ross] - Premier Livre [1706]

This is wonderfully refined music that is really wonderfully played by Ross. I have always found this music to be very engaging. Ross was an exceptional musician as far as I am concerned. He always delivered a supreme performance in terms of musical integrity and interpretation for me. The touch and interpretation of the Premier Livre (1706) is suitably delicate and sensitive. I like the sound of the chosen instrument and the recorded sound portrays it in an excellent acoustic.