Author Topic: What are you listening 2 now?  (Read 1722990 times)

ritter and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: What are you listening 2 now?
« Reply #52340 on: October 24, 2021, 10:16:08 AM »

Gombert's Missa Quam Pulchra Es. Incredibly beautiful countertenor. In fact the Kyrie and Gloria are a bit like a concerto for countertenor and muddy voices. The singing is full of energy, life.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 10:19:33 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
  • Don't waste your energy trying to convince people.
« Reply #52341 on: October 24, 2021, 10:36:00 AM »
+1 Que!  Own nearly 30 discs of the 'London Bach' (wind concertos w/ Halstead, other wind works, and keyboard discs) - now, I don't have any of his religious output (he converted to Catholicism in Italy, as you likely already know) nor the 'Opera Overtures' (again just checked Amazon and Halstead has a 3-CD box - worth getting?).  Dave :)

The overtures are well worth purchasing Dave. Do not hold back, you will like them.
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline VonStupp

• Amazon Public Profile
  • Currently Listening to:
    Backtracking through my catalog
« Reply #52342 on: October 24, 2021, 12:03:14 PM »
Irving Fine (1914-1962)
The Hour-Glass (1949)

Dale Warland Singers
(rec. 2000)

Does anyone listen to the music of Irving Fine? I have not yet pulled the trigger on the Boston Modern Orchestra Project's album of his orchestral works, so I am largely unfamiliar with his oeuvre.

The Hour-Glass and his 3 choruses from Alice in Wonderland have long been considered his masterpieces in the choral world, but I hardly ever hear them.

Too bad because there is a lot of personality here, and I love the Dale Warland Singers large, midwest-based chamber choir's (now defunct) smooth, yet highly rhythmic sound. I have cherished their tackling of modern American choral music, and Gothic Records has gratefully issued unreleased recordings of them since their retirement.

6 movements, a cappella, and 15-minutes in length, Fine's The Hour-Glass isn't challenging, but far from sing-song-y. Ben Jonson's (1572-1637) poetry is always nice to run into as well.

I attached the 3-minute first movement YouTube video from the album. The stacked quartals from 2:48-2:53 are a lot of fun.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/makmsWwv6eI&amp;ab_channel=DaleWarlandSingers-Topic" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/makmsWwv6eI&amp;ab_channel=DaleWarlandSingers-Topic</a> 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 12:27:55 PM by VonStupp »
“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #52343 on: October 24, 2021, 12:18:30 PM »
Irving Fine (1914-1962)
The Hour-Glass (1949)

Dale Warland Singers
(rec. 2000)

Does anyone listen to the music of Irving Fine? I have not yet pulled the trigger on the Boston Modern Orchestra Project's album of his orchestral works, so I am largely unfamiliar with his oeuvre.

The Hour-Glass and his 3 choruses from Alice in Wonderland have long been considered his masterpieces in the choral world, but I hardly ever hear them.

Too bad because there is a lot of personality here, and I love the Dale Warland Singers large, midwest-based chamber choir's (now defunct) smooth, yet highly rhythmic sound. I have cherished their tackling of modern American choral music, and Gothic Records has gratefully issued unreleased recordings of them since their retirement.

6 movements, a cappella, and 15-minutes in length, Fine's The Hour-Glass isn't challenging, but far from sing-song-y. Ben Jonson's (1572-1637) poetry is always nice to run into as well.

I attached the 3-minute first movement YouTube video from the album.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/makmsWwv6eI&amp;ab_channel=DaleWarlandSingers-Topic" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/makmsWwv6eI&amp;ab_channel=DaleWarlandSingers-Topic</a> 

Nice, thanks. Fine’s symphony and his catchy Blue Towers are big favourites.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #52344 on: October 24, 2021, 12:29:44 PM »
Mendelssohn: Symphony No. 5 [Ashkenazy]

The depth of emotion portrayed in the opening movement is profound. The breadth of the orchestration is also very skillfully presented. This is wonderful music and music making. I like the unrelenting forward momentum drive in the movement. It is sympathetically paced throughout in an excellent presentation here delivering high drama, tension and wonderful exuberance. The second movement is a buoyant, Scherzo-like movement. It is light and quirky, engaging and again well delivered here. The short slow movement is more on the solemn side in terms of tone but the harmonies and scoring are always very engaging and appealing. The final movement is a wonderfully expansive Chorale. The scoring is wonderful and I like the graduated changes in the tempo, offering a fine dramatic element culminating in a very fine conclusion.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #52345 on: October 24, 2021, 12:31:10 PM »
Bach, Johann Christian (1735-1782) - Symphonies Concertantes - 6-CD box w/ Anthony Halstead & the Hanover Band (own similar boxes of the Symphonies and KB Concertos) - JS Bach's youngest son by his second wife - he lived w/ his older brother (CPE) after his father's death, then onto Italy, and finally to London, dying prematurely at 46 years (more HERE).  He was extremely prolific - a list of his compositions HERE, which were catalogued by Ernest Warburton (from 1984-99) - see bottom pic from link, each work starts w/ a 'W' followed by another letter from A to L (C = Orchestral Works) (click on image for enlargement).  Dave :)

I have the Halstead JC Bach Symphonies Concertantes in the individual releases, Dave. I find both the music and the music making to be excellent and totally engaging.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #52346 on: October 24, 2021, 01:01:35 PM »
The overtures are well worth purchasing Dave. Do not hold back, you will like them.

I have the Halstead JC Bach Symphonies Concertantes in the individual releases, Dave. I find both the music and the music making to be excellent and totally engaging.

Hi Harry & Fergus - thanks for the comments - I found a couple of good-excellent reviews of the Overtures (attached for those interested) - Amazon USA had the box for $27 USD, not a sale!  But found JPC selling it for €12.6 - added a few other items and ordered, so on the way shortly!  Dave :)

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #52347 on: October 24, 2021, 01:07:36 PM »
Bach, Johann Christian (1735-1782) - Chamber Works on the discs below - downshift from orchestra for the afternoon - Dave :)

Offline VonStupp

• Amazon Public Profile
« Reply #52348 on: October 24, 2021, 01:30:09 PM »
Jacob Avshalomov (1919-2013)
Tom O'Bedlam (1950)

Oboe & Percussion
Dale Warland Singers

You can really feel the jangling stupor of this titular beggar released from Bedlam. Rather quixotic in its 10-minute runtime, but there is a sense of sadness for his lot in life from the composer too.

So far this album has been mid-20th Century choral music featuring 16th & 17th Century texts. Interesting...

While I own the physical media, I thought I would post the YouTube videos in case anyone is curious about this music.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/GgCtI0OfdEk&amp;ab_channel=DaleWarlandSingers-Topic" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/GgCtI0OfdEk&amp;ab_channel=DaleWarlandSingers-Topic</a>
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 01:36:37 PM by VonStupp »

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #52349 on: October 24, 2021, 01:32:48 PM »

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #52350 on: October 24, 2021, 01:35:35 PM »
Nielsen: Clarinet Concerto [McGill/Gilbert]

The Nielsen Clarinet Concerto is definitely a work that has a unique voice of its own. It is an intriguing, exciting and absorbing work and there is a wonderful inherent tension flowing throughout it. It is both lyrical and conversational in nature with a very engaging musical language.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #52351 on: October 24, 2021, 01:57:19 PM »

Disc 1.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #52352 on: October 24, 2021, 02:15:54 PM »
Finishing off this album with: Lobo: Versa est in luctum [McCreesh]

This music sounds quite ethereal and its presentation here sounds quite sublime. This work sounds like quite a little gem. The harmonies and counterpoint are both sublime.

Offline VonStupp

• Amazon Public Profile
« Reply #52353 on: October 24, 2021, 02:27:20 PM »
Ross Lee Finney (1906-1997)
Spherical Madrigals (1947)

Dale Warland Singers

Not as impressionable as Irving Fine's The Hour-Glass, Finney takes the subject of spheres cast from 17th-century poets such as John Donne.

The final movement is a bit more cinematic compared to the rest of the 12-minute, a cappella, six-movement work, and I have included it below.

There is a wonderful interview with RL Finney in which he discusses this very work among others, his philosophies of composing, his students George Crumb & William Albright, and his teacher Nadia Boulanger:

https://www.bruceduffie.com/finney.html

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YWvJ1IabJFE&amp;ab_channel=DaleWarlandSingers-Topic" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YWvJ1IabJFE&amp;ab_channel=DaleWarlandSingers-Topic</a>
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 03:44:03 PM by VonStupp »

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #52354 on: October 24, 2021, 03:34:06 PM »
Finishing off this album with: Lobo: Versa est in luctum [McCreesh]

This music sounds quite ethereal and its presentation here sounds quite sublime. This work sounds like quite a little gem. The harmonies and counterpoint are both sublime.

The Versa est in Luctum is the best part of the recording in my opinion.listen to this version of the Tallis Scholars.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1eae8GPzMM8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1eae8GPzMM8</a>

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #52355 on: October 24, 2021, 04:08:44 PM »

Gustav Mahler: Symphony No.7 in E minor. Michael Tilson Thomas, London Symphony Orchestra

First listen to this recording, indeed to any of MTT's Mahler. It sounds great. Very dark take on the music, one of Mahler's most modernistic symphonies, and somewhat of a challenging one for me to appreciate, at times. Definitely sounds better at night.

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #52356 on: October 24, 2021, 04:39:50 PM »
Last night's listening:

Mathis der Maler Symphony

Still a great sounding recording and the SFS plays beautifully.

Mahler: Symphony No. 9

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #52357 on: October 24, 2021, 05:18:41 PM »
One of several operas I found at a used CD/book store in Fort Lauderdale.

The libretto is adapted from a tragedy by Racine (Andromaque). Composed for Naples in 1819, it was a failure and never revived until the modern era. The only other recordings are one from Opera Rara and a live recording from a 1987 performance with Montserrat Caballe and Marilyn Horne. This Scimone recording was made in 1988. Total timing is almost exactly 2 hours.
Music is typical Rossini skillfullness, singers seem good. Recommended if you find it at a suitable price.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #52358 on: October 24, 2021, 05:26:15 PM »

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Online Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52359 on: October 24, 2021, 11:41:45 PM »