What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Papy Oli

Shostakovich - Symphony No.1

(Kondrashin)
Olivier

The new erato

Mozart K 387 and 421 from this. Very sober and finely nuanced playing, and good sound from Milan 1953.

The new erato

Quote from: Mandryka on October 25, 2021, 12:23:16 AM
Back to this mass on the big system. If anything the thing sounds worse because the lower voices are more prominent, but no less muddy. It is very fast and not very incisively articulated. Muddy counterpoint,  fast pulse, inarticulate singing = chaos.  I do not think this is a successful recording.
Strangely enough it has been my experience that bad recordings often sound better from less ambitious systems which doesn't overanalyze their faults the way a big system does.

Que

Quote from: "Harry" on October 24, 2021, 11:43:38 PM
Mornin Que!
No image to see, at least for me

Morning! Hopefully you can see it now: Morales' Requiem by Musica Ficata.

Fittingly, I visited the Cathedral of Seville just a few days ago.  :)

Papy Oli

Shostakovich - Symphony No.2

(Kondrashin)
Olivier

Traverso

Quote from: "Harry" on October 25, 2021, 02:02:16 AM
Starts with this emaciated body of a guy, so out of synch, bad taste versus bad sound, that's in my book a disaster.

bad taste indeed ,I can't look at it.

Traverso

Dufay

Just found in the mailbox !

Missa Se la face ay pale
Motet O très piteulx
Motet Magnanime gentis

Brahmsian

Quote from: Papy Oli on October 25, 2021, 02:28:50 AM
Shostakovich - Symphony No.1

(Kondrashin)

Nice to see you really getting into a deep dive of the Shostakovich symphonies!  :)

Traverso

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 25, 2021, 04:30:35 AM
Nice to see you really getting into a deep dive of the Shostakovich symphonies!  :)

He is not alone !  :)

The new erato

Shostakovich - Symphony No.15 Haitink

One of my favorite versions of this work which I aloo find extremely interesting. Wonderful recording.

foxandpeng

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 24, 2021, 06:35:08 AM
Indeed. As Rachmaninov said: "Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." I've also said many times now that the more I know is actually the less I know. There's just so much music out there.

Quote from: aligreto on October 24, 2021, 06:39:33 AM
Let us try to keep chipping away at it, John.  ;)

These.

You wise, wise people.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

The new erato

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 24, 2021, 06:35:08 AM
I've also said many times now that the more I know is actually the less I know.
This is true about most things in life. Good to see that you are not subject to the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Traverso

Quote from: The new erato on October 25, 2021, 02:33:59 AM

Mozart K 387 and 421 from this. Very sober and finely nuanced playing, and good sound from Milan 1953.

At last a new affordable edition,the EMI was hard to find and expensive

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: The new erato on October 25, 2021, 05:11:34 AM
This is true about most things in life. Good to see that you are not subject to the Dunning-Kruger effect.
And just when I think that I know what I'm doing on my *computer .............  :-[ ::)

*In even one tiny little area!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Papy Oli

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 25, 2021, 04:30:35 AM

The Haitink thread generated several mentions of his DSCH symphonies and a search in my collection brought up his 5th and 9th.

As I have little to no familiarity with Shostakovich's music, I thought why not (I was planning a Russian exploration before JSB got in the way  0:)  ;D ). I will be taking the symphonies in order first, by streaming various versions of each to get more familiar with each of them (I have owned the Barshai cycle for some years and maybe listened to it once with no recollection of any connection - same thing with the Pacifica Quartets in his chamber music). I am hoping it will be more fruitful with that bigger focus.
Olivier

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Camargo Guarnieri: Three Dances for Orchestra. Minczuk/Sao Paolo SO.

Traverso

Beethoven

Quartets Op. 18 No. 5 & 6

T. D.

Quote from: The new erato on October 25, 2021, 02:35:07 AM
Strangely enough it has been my experience that bad recordings often sound better from less ambitious systems which doesn't overanalyze their faults the way a big system does.

Agreed.

T. D.

Quote from: Mandryka on October 24, 2021, 06:29:15 AM

This is a travesty of the music, dated and anachronistic. Bach's skeleton is turning in its grave, his attending angels in paradise are weeping.

Nevertheless it is so deeply felt, the musicians transmit such a strong sense of wanting to communicate - that it's a force of nature, the only way not to let it seduce you is never to play it. All resistance is futile.

I own this oddity, bought a remaindered copy long ago because of low price.

You've described it well. Bizarre and seemingly non-Bachian, but against all odds I enjoy listening. Pulled it off the shelf last night, first time in many years, and played it twice!
Granted I have awful taste... :P