What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnotherSpin, Jo498 and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mandryka

Quote from: Iota on October 25, 2021, 12:56:34 PM
OT, but I remember a teacher saying how Richter would sometimes come home after a successful concert dissatisfied, and practise all night in an attempt to put things right. It so impressed/struck me, the very last thing I ever wanted to do after a performance was to go home and practise! Whatever you think of his playing, the extraordinary intensity of his involvement seems fairly inarguable.

Yes that's the same about QI. I just listened to some of their Mozart, the conception of the music - lyrical, serious, intense - gives me the heebie-jeebies. But it is beautiful and brilliantly executed and sounds gorgeous - and it exudes their commitment. 

Furtwangler is the same sort of thing I think - though nearly everything Furtwangler did has the same sort of force of nature quality as QI's Art of Fugue!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mirror Image

NP:

Tippett
Concerto for Orchestra
Bournemouth SO
Hickox

JBS

Quote from: Mandryka on October 25, 2021, 01:40:34 PM
Yes that's the same about QI. I just listened to some of their Mozart, the conception of the music - lyrical, serious, intense - gives me the heebie-jeebies. But it is beautiful and brilliantly executed and sounds gorgeous - and it exudes their commitment. 

Furtwangler is the same sort of thing I think - though nearly everything Furtwangler did has the same sort of force of nature quality as QI's Art of Fugue!

I'm listening to this right now. Force of nature is a good description.

The copy I have is a Music & Arts release but I don't see it listed on Amazon.  Sound is a bit tinny and overloaded a bit on the fortissimi.
Testament has a recording from what must have been the previous day's performance, at a different venue. The timings on the Testament CD are slightly different, but not significantly so.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Todd

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 25, 2021, 01:24:54 PM

Franz Schubert: Fantasy for Piano in C major, D 760, the "Wanderer-Fantasie"; Fantasy for Violin & Piano in C major, D934. András Schiff, Yuuko Shiokawa

Brilliant disc. A beautiful performance from András Schiff, who really gets Schubert's music like few others, and his wife, the very talented Japanese violinist Yuuko Shiokawa. Schiff's performance of the Wanderer-Fantasie is very atmospheric and introspective, not treated as a kind of virtuoso showpiece like some others do it.

Schiff and his wife always do good work together.  And Schiff's Schubert ranks among the greatest of the greats.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

vers la flamme

Round two in as many days:

Gustav Mahler: Symphony No.7 in E minor. Michael Tilson Thomas, London Symphony Orchestra

A damn fine performance. The music doesn't always click with me, but it does right now.

bhodges

Gubaidulina: Offertorium (Arabella Steinbacher / Christoph von Dohnányi / NDR Sinfonieorchester, live recording 5 April 2009) - My first time hearing this live recording (as well as the violinist), and am impressed. Steinbacher is marvelous, and Dohnányi and the orchestra are on fire. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob6hHDbLxo8

--Bruce

Symphonic Addict

Serenade in F major

Stenhammar was one of those composers who had a remarkable gift to write lovely music, and the Serenade is a strong proof of it. It's interesting to notice how he incorporated touches of Sibelius throughout the score. Endearing stuff.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Traverso

Quote from: Brewski on October 25, 2021, 05:33:59 PM
Gubaidulina: Offertorium (Arabella Steinbacher / Christoph von Dohnányi / NDR Sinfonieorchester, live recording 5 April 2009) - My first time hearing this live recording (as well as the violinist), and am impressed. Steinbacher is marvelous, and Dohnányi and the orchestra are on fire. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob6hHDbLxo8

--Bruce

It sounds great,thanks for posting.

vandermolen

Vaughan Williams: Symphony No5
LPO, Haitink
New arrival - live recording - most enjoyable:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Artem

Jo Kondo's early work for solo piano sounded a lot like the New York School and was also recorded by Satoko Inoue. His latests pieces for solo piano resemble Schoenberg compositions for the instrument.

vandermolen

Stephen Paulus: 'Grand Concerto for Organ and Orchestra'.
I keep coming back to this work. The CD only lists Paulus's birth date (1949) and I was sad to discover that he had died in 2014.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mandryka

Quote from: "Harry" on June 01, 2021, 04:10:00 AM
New release, first listen.

Sebastian Aguilera de Heredia. (1561-1627)

Organ Music

Miguel del Barco Diaz, Organ.

Instrument:
Renaissance Organ of the Iglesia de Santa Maria de la Consolacion.
This is the only known organ in Spain today that dates from the time of the composer. There is no date available of its manufacture but it was certainly prior to 1578, according to existing documents.
1 manual of 42 keys (C-a) with a short octave.

Heredia's style reflects the polyphonic tradition of the Spanish Renaissance, along with the elements of an incipient Baroque.

Barco Diaz was an unknown organist for me, but his credentials are self recommending.
Graduated with honours in Organ at the Royal Conservatory of Music in Madrid, completed a postgraduate degree in Barcelona with Montserrat Torrent, specializing in Spanish Early Organ music.
Has a degree in Harpsichord and BC and studied with: Ogg, Meister, Ghielmi, Jansen, & Bauvard.

He is a fine organist, and his style is detailed, with just the right amount of energy. He carefully handles this beautiful instrument, and that pays of in expression. The recording is pure, and it is faithfully recorded.

Quote from: "Harry" on June 19, 2021, 05:41:10 AM
Sebastian Aguilera de Heredia.

Organ Music.

Miguel del Barco Diaz. plays on a Renaissance organ of Sta, Maria de la Consolacion Church, Garrovillas de Alconetar  (Caceres) Spain
The organ was built before 1578.

I repeatedly professed my admiration for this beautifully recorded disc. The Renaissance organ is a jewel, and so well maintained. Heredia's music is certainly worth to be heard. He was truly one of the great masters in his field.

Quote from: "Harry" on June 02, 2021, 11:47:41 PM
Early morning listening

Sebastian Aguilera de Heredia.

Organ Music.

Miguel del Barco Diaz, Organ.
Renaissance before 1578. (1 manual of 42 keys, C-a with a short octave.
Iglesia de Santa Maria de la Consolacion, Garrovillas de Alcontar, (Caceres, Spain)

Surpassed my expectation in the positive vein. Brilliant often finds performers and interesting organs, plus composers not often recorded. This is a gem, every organ buff needs this. Well recorded.

Agreed
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Tsaraslondon

A fine performance of the Haydn Nelson Mass, but the Vivaldi strikes me as a little slow and lacking in energy.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on October 25, 2021, 10:58:03 PM
Vaughan Williams: Symphony No5
LPO, Haitink
New arrival - live recording - most enjoyable:

Are these performances significantly different from the studio recordings? - the Sinfonia antartica is my favourite from that cycle

Madiel

Bach cello suites: Tortelier.

A bit too disappointing a bit too often.  Though it turns out that even after many years since the last time I listened, I still rather like Tortelier's 3rd suite. But elsewhere there are times I want to give him a shot of adrenalin or something.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Papy Oli

Good morning all,

Shostakovich - symphony No.2 (Haitink)

Olivier

premont

Quote from: Madiel on October 26, 2021, 02:31:15 AM
Bach cello suites: Tortelier.

A bit too disappointing a bit too often.  Though it turns out that even after many years since the last time I listened, I still rather like Tortelier's 3rd suite. But elsewhere there are times I want to give him a shot of adrenalin or something.

Tortellier I or Tortellier II. They are a bit different.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on October 26, 2021, 01:57:24 AM
Are these performances significantly different from the studio recordings? - the Sinfonia antartica is my favourite from that cycle
It's a while since I listened to the studio set (other than 'A Sea Symphony') but I suspect that the interpretations are similar. I read some poorish reviews of the live LPO recordings which rather put me off getting them. However, recently I read something more positive, so I thought that I'd give them a go. I did read that the organ was less spectacular in the live recording of Sinfonia Antartica and I recall that the studio recording is considered to be a highlight from that set.
NP
William Alwyn: Elizabethan Dances. I also think that this CD features the best recording of Symphony No.4.
I would imagine that Alwyn's thoroughly enjoyable 'Elizabethan Dances' would appeal to admirers of Malcolm Arnold's English, Scottish and Welsh Dances:

Madiel

Quote from: (: premont :) on October 26, 2021, 02:48:24 AM
Tortellier I or Tortellier II. They are a bit different.

I didn't know there were 2 options. This is from the EMI box set... *flips through booklet* recorded in 1982. I believe that makes it Tortelier II.

EDIT: Yes, definitely Tortelier II. Which I gather is considerably slower than his first version.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!