What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redgravefenbirder and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on November 25, 2021, 06:36:15 PM

Great posts, Kyle. The Veress sounds intriguing. I know his two only symphonies and they don't disappoint in my view. Very accesible, though the 2nd has more Modern touches. I listened to Weinberg's 14th following your recommendation and I have to say it is a hell of a work. I don't get the idea why it went unnoticed for me when I listened to it for the first time. Maybe I wasn't as prepared to figure out how it was going to be the music as now? Rather likely, I guess. A superb discovery. Thanks for the heads up!

I'll have to look into Veress' symphonies. Glad you enjoyed the Weinberg - a thought-provoking work to say the least!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vers la flamme

Claude Debussy: Prèlude à l'après-midi d'un faune. Bernard Haitink, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra

Great recording of this masterpiece.

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 27, 2021, 08:08:54 PM
One of the most incredible pieces of chamber music I think he's written is Rosengaardsspil for string quartet. Give it a listen:

https://www.youtube.com/v/RShME_NaotE

Thanks, John! I'll report back when I do.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on November 27, 2021, 08:13:07 PM
Thanks, John! I'll report back when I do.

Sounds like a good plan to me, Kyle. 8)

kyjo

Quote from: VonStupp on November 26, 2021, 10:01:13 AM
Reinhold Glière
The Sirens, op. 33

Slovak PO - Stephen Gunzenhauser

Glière seems to be going for a Scriabin-esque tone poem, but with far more Romanticism. The sound isn't great from this mid-80's recording.

VS

Such an appropriately seductive, atmospheric work. A shame it wasn't included in Chandos' Glière survey, because it really calls for a top-notch performance and sound.

Mirror Image

Revisiting this old friend:

Debussy
Estampes
Jacobs

kyjo

Quote from: André on November 26, 2021, 10:40:56 AM

Little-known works of Busoni's. The 'Indianische Fantasie' is not about India, but about what the booklet calls Red Indians  ::). It's a substantial work for piano and orchestra. Gesang vom Reigen der Geister (Song of the Spirit dance) also draws from Native American folklore. It belongs to Busoni's orchestral elegies (like his better-known Berceuse élégiaque). Both works were written near the beginning of WWI. Funny that another italian composer wrote an opera about the Wild West at the same period. There must have been a Buffalo Bill factor at work then. Fine performances and very good sound.

The Indianische Fantasie is a really colorful, interesting, and substantial work. It was a nice discovery for me a few months ago!

kyjo

Quote from: André on November 26, 2021, 01:25:53 PM

Piano concerto by women composers. All 3 are substantial works that would be big hits in the concert hall. There is drive, energy, lots of colours and plenty of fireworks. Modernist/neo-classical would describe the styles best, but there is plenty of repose when needed. That's an excellent release.

I have positive memories of the Kuzmenko concerto!

kyjo

Quote from: classicalgeek on November 27, 2021, 07:05:48 PM
Another Bliss ballet:

Arthur Bliss
Checkmate
Royal Scottish National Orchestra
David Lloyd-Jones

What a remarkable work! Totally imaginative and colorful, both the composition and orchestration. It's tremendously exciting in spots; I imagine it's not programmed in concert often, if at all (either the complete ballet or a suite.) Too bad, because it contains some wonderful music!

Pounds the table! Have you heard Bliss' deeply moving Meditations on a Theme of John Blow, which I consider to be his masterpiece?

vers la flamme

^Y'all are making me want to check out this Arthur Bliss character...

... for now, the hits don't stop:

George Frideric Handel: Water Music Suite in F major, HWV 348. Trevor Pinnock, The English Concert

Such a good performance of this work, which I love.

classicalgeek

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on November 27, 2021, 05:58:55 PM
Adam Zero is a great and imaginative score. It receives a thumbs up from me too. One of my favorite ballets, actually.

I really was taken by it too... really captivating and original music. There's a full orchestral score if you subscribe to Nkoda... I listened the first time without a score, but I definitely want to follow the score next time. Earlier tonight I listened to Checkmate, which I also just loved.

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on November 27, 2021, 05:58:55 PM
Gilbert is indeed splendid with the NYPO on these recordings and performances.

I also rate Rozhdestvensky's cycle very highly. The performances could be more soft-edged, more "romantic", less hysterical, but those are not an obstacle to enjoy them enormously. The performance of the 3rd is particularly charming and uplifting!!

I'm not sure if I've listened to Rozhdestvensky's Nielsen or not, but now I'm curious! My Nielsen cycle of choice before I heard Gilbert was Schonwandt on Dacapo... but I think Gilbert at least equals if not exceeds him. The playing of the New York Phil alone is a reason to love Gilbert's cycle!

Quote from: kyjo on November 27, 2021, 08:38:40 PM
Pounds the table! Have you heard Bliss' deeply moving Meditations on a Theme of John Blow, which I consider to be his masterpiece?

I think I know what I'm listening to next!  ;D
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

classicalgeek

As recommended by Kyle above:

Arthur Bliss
Meditations on a Theme by John Blow
BBC Symphony Orchestra
Sir Andrew Davis

(on Spotify)

Totally agree with Kyle that this is a masterpiece! Again, a really unique and innovative compositional process is paired with masterful orchestration and the result is astounding, and some of the music is just **gorgeous** (The Lambs and In Green Pastures.) Again I've discovered a composer whose music I've listened to, but not taken the time to fully appreciate previously; just in the last few months it's happened with Lloyd, Koechlin, Barber, Poulenc, Arnold, Stenhammar, Alfven - and now Bliss. And that's thanks in large part to fellow GMG-ers - so keep the recommendations coming!  ;D
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: vers la flamme on November 27, 2021, 08:12:54 PM

Claude Debussy: Prèlude à l'après-midi d'un faune. Bernard Haitink, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra

Great recording of this masterpiece.

This is a wonderful two disc set. Fabulous performances and really gorgeous analogue sound.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Irons

Quote from: MusicTurner on November 27, 2021, 05:09:24 AM
Great selection of beautiful V-W works; I can't say that I remember much regarding the 'Serenade to Music' though, it's been ages (and there are several versions, chamber & orchestral, I think); I'll listen to it now ...

With and without voices I believe.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Lennox Berkeley: 2nd String Quartet.

Strong echoes of Britten's quartets. Possibly my mood at time of listening, but much preferred the 2nd to 1st.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Quote from: kyjo on November 27, 2021, 08:38:40 PM

+1

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on November 28, 2021, 12:54:11 AM
+1
+2 (re: Bliss Meditations on a Theme by John Blow)

Andrew Davis's is the best performance since Hugo Rignold's CBSO recording on Lyrita.
The Melee Fantasque and Hymn to Apollo are other works which I like very much.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on November 27, 2021, 08:19:29 PM
Such an appropriately seductive, atmospheric work. A shame it wasn't included in Chandos' Glière survey, because it really calls for a top-notch performance and sound.
I agree Kyle.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).