What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW, Madiel and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

MusicTurner

Quote from: Linz on December 02, 2021, 09:08:15 AM
I am now listening To Yo-Yo Ma playing Kabalevsky's Cello Concerto No. 1 With Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra

Am a fan of that disc, including the Shosty 1st there, underrated IMO.

classicalgeek

The last of Alfvén's Symphonies:

Hugo Alfvén
Symphony no. 5
Royal Stockholm Philharmonic
Neeme Järvi

(on Spotify)

The Bergakungen suite is delightful, of course - the Shepherdess's Dance is so much fun! And the Fifth Symphony is a dark, turbulent work (though it ends quasi-heroically), again richly scored like most of Alfvén's later works. I definitely connected with the Fourth Symphony (and to a lesser extent the Fifth), as well as 'Legend of the Skerries' and the Rhapsodie, and of course Bergakungen is a masterpiece! Still warming up to the first three symphonies and some of the earlier orchestral works. At his best, Alfvén is a gifted melodist and a splendid orchestrator with a lot to say!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

prémont

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 02, 2021, 12:13:44 PM
Nielsen
Symphony № 4, « Det uudslukkelige » Op. 29 FS 76
Royal Phil
Menuhin

How is this? And the violin concerto with Tellefsen?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Que

vers la flamme

Ennemond Gaultier: Suite in F-sharp minor. Toyohiko Satoh

Thanks to Mandryka and DBK for alerting me to the existence of this fascinating artist, the Japanese lutenist Toyohiko Satoh. Damn, what a plaintive instrument is the lute.

foxandpeng

Peter Maxwell Davies
Naxos Quartets 9 & 10
Maggini Quartet
Naxos
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Sergeant Rock

Havergal Brian Symphonies Nos. 22, 23, 24

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

classicalgeek

Inspired by Jeffrey listening to Dello Joio... couldn't find Meditations on Ecclesiastes on Spotify, but I did find this:

Norman Dello Joio
The Triumph of St. Joan Symphony
Boston Modern Orchestra Project
Gil Rose

(on Spotify)

Tuneful, pleasant, and thoroughly tonal, if not particularly memorable on first hearing.

André

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 02, 2021, 11:37:25 AM

Looks interesting!

TD:

Sibelius
Symphony № 5 in Eb, Op. 82
Lahti Symphony
Vänskä

Well, it took me two listenings to figure I much prefer Krenek in a tonal vein vs his dodecaphonist method (the Pallas Athene symphony). Mind you, the 7 Orchestral Pieces are atonal but in a more aphoristic, pointillist way - much like those by Webern or Schönberg, actually. The symphony is actually a suite from a late opera. Rather dour and heavy going for my taste.

So yes, an interesting program with some challenging music and some very approchable pieces. It's like listening to two entirely different composers.

Daverz

Bruckner: Symphony No. 1

Very good performance, but the acoustic is rather barn-like.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: André on December 02, 2021, 04:29:41 PM
Well, it took me two listenings to figure I much prefer Krenek in a tonal vein vs his dodecaphonist method (the Pallas Athene symphony). Mind you, the 7 Orchestral Pieces are atonal but in a more aphoristic, pointillist way - much like those by Webern or Schönberg, actually. The symphony is actually a suite from a late opera. Rather dour and heavy going for my taste.

So yes, an interesting program with some challenging music and some very approchable pieces. It's like listening to two entirely different composers.

I listened to that disc the last year, but I couldn't come to grips with the music. My feelings are similar to yours. There are few works of this composer I can say I enjoy.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: classicalgeek on December 02, 2021, 12:42:23 PM
The last of Alfvén's Symphonies:

Hugo Alfvén
Symphony no. 5
Royal Stockholm Philharmonic
Neeme Järvi

(on Spotify)

The Bergakungen suite is delightful, of course - the Shepherdess's Dance is so much fun! And the Fifth Symphony is a dark, turbulent work (though it ends quasi-heroically), again richly scored like most of Alfvén's later works. I definitely connected with the Fourth Symphony (and to a lesser extent the Fifth), as well as 'Legend of the Skerries' and the Rhapsodie, and of course Bergakungen is a masterpiece! Still warming up to the first three symphonies and some of the earlier orchestral works. At his best, Alfvén is a gifted melodist and a splendid orchestrator with a lot to say!

The last statement is quite true! I do enjoy the symphonies 2-5, though.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

JBS

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 02, 2021, 09:50:36 AM
Thoughts on the Ballet Suite? (none of whose numbers, I have heard, I don't think.)

24 hours later I hardly remember anything from it. Perhaps it was too light a pendant for the symphony. Three movements (Introduction, Waltz, Scherzo), composed in 1953, just under 13 minutes in length total.
TD

One of the three CDs in this set is devoted to French composers. So tonight I listen to works by Poulenc, Ferrenc, Roussel, and Caplet.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Symphonic Addict

Popov: Quartet-Symphony

The work is up to the expectations, but I'll need more listens to have a better idea about it. It's truly an ambitious piece full of striking moments. A very fine new release so far.

Noam Chomsky

classicalgeek

Malcolm Arnold
Electra (complete ballet)
BBC Philharmonic
Rumon Gamba

(on Spotify)

It's only 15 minutes long, but wow, is this packed with intensity and passion! There's other good stuff on this disc that I'll listen to tomorrow.

classicalgeek

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 02, 2021, 05:53:53 PM
The last statement is quite true! I do enjoy the symphonies 2-5, though.

It really is! He reminds me of Dvorak in that way, able to write the most gorgeous tunes seemingly effortlessly. I'll keep listening to the first three symphonies - I quite enjoyed the Third, actually, but I felt the end of the symphony (as well as the end of the first movement) were anticlimactic. But I can see there's a lot to love. And of course the complete Bergakungen is a complete revelation, one of the favorite things I've listened to in quite some time!

classicalgeek

Quote from: André on December 02, 2021, 04:29:41 PM

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 02, 2021, 05:52:29 PM
I listened to that disc the last year, but I couldn't come to grips with the music. My feelings are similar to yours. There are few works of this composer I can say I enjoy.

I need to have a fresh listen to Krenek - I do seem to remember preferring his earlier works to his later, serial and atonal phase.

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on December 02, 2021, 05:55:12 PM
24 hours later I hardly remember anything from it. Perhaps it was too light a pendant for the symphony. Three movements (Introduction, Waltz, Scherzo), composed in 1953, just under 13 minutes in length total.
I wondered if that might be the case.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: Traverso on December 02, 2021, 08:03:18 AM
Rachmaninov

My favorite recording of this concerto

Piano Concerto No.2

Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra  (1959)
Kurt Sanderling

I'll have to give this one a listen as it came in the Rachmaninov Collection that was released on Melodiya some years ago.

Mirror Image