What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 02, 2021, 09:50:36 AM
Thoughts on the Ballet Suite? (none of whose numbers, I have heard, I don't think.)

All of these Ballet Suites are a fun romp, Karl. I think you'll enjoy them all (I believe there's five of them in total).

Daverz

Bloch: Concerto Grosso No. 2

I've been very impressed with these recordings of the Bloch Concerti Grossi.  No. 1 is Romantic without losing shape or drive.  Beautifully played and recorded.  By now I have quite a few recordings of Concerto Grosso No. 1 (including the classic Hanson, of course), but this still stands out, though rather hard to come by now.

Linz

I am listening to disc 1 of this set Swan Lake with Ernest Ansermet at the Helm

Linz

Now for CD2

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: classicalgeek on December 02, 2021, 06:10:32 PM
It really is! He reminds me of Dvorak in that way, able to write the most gorgeous tunes seemingly effortlessly. I'll keep listening to the first three symphonies - I quite enjoyed the Third, actually, but I felt the end of the symphony (as well as the end of the first movement) were anticlimactic. But I can see there's a lot to love. And of course the complete Bergakungen is a complete revelation, one of the favorite things I've listened to in quite some time!

Yes, I really like when composers have that gift to write memorable melodies that often are inspired by folk music, and glad to know you have Bergakungen in high esteem. I'll have to give it another listen on the strength of your enthusiasm about it.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

MusicTurner

Sibelius - Symphonies 3, 6, 7 /Gibson /chandos

Really excellent, including the at times mysterious and enigmatic 7th, with a good sense for the rendering the musical architecture, I think. The 3rd tends to be fast, but it's refreshing; some lack of integration in the finale at times, however that's ok.

Harry

Marin Marais.

CD III.

Quatrieme Livre de Pieces de Viole (1717)

Francois Joubert Caillet, Bass Viol.
L'Acheron.

What better to start the day with, a day with a dreary outlook, and a negative grin on its countenance. Grey, wet, water cold. Have the logs on the fire, hot coffee, Speculaas cake, and a comfortable seat. So a very good morning to you all.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Johann Sebastian Bach.
Complete Organ Works, Volume IX.
BWV: 552/699-687.

Ute Gremmel Geuchen plays on a Johannes Andreas Silbermann organ 1741, Strasbourg, Eglise St. Thomas

The ninth volume starts with a pupil of Ewald Kooiman. It pains me to know that Kooiman's contribution to this set stopped with the 8th volume. For however good Geuchen plays, it will never match Kooiman's artistry. This said I will listen with a different mindset to the rest of the volumes in this box and pretend that it is altogether a different set with promising organists.
Starting with Volume IX.
A remarkable feat of this recording is that Geuchen plays on the Silbermann organ as if playing on a North German instrument. Very clear lines, space between the notes, perfectly flowing tempi, no unnecessary embellishments, almost sober in presentation. Yet is never without feeling, but moderate, I rather like this!

Irons

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 02, 2021, 10:35:13 AM
Indeed. Menuhin made VW's Fifth finally click.

Sarge

Menuhin may not have the greatest technique as a violinist or conductor but there is more to making music then technique.

CL.
Martinu: Bergerettes for Piano Trio.

Rustic with Czech folk rhythms and dance.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Que

Quote from: "Harry" on December 02, 2021, 11:03:18 PM
Marin Marais.

CD III.

Quatrieme Livre de Pieces de Viole (1717)

Francois Joubert Caillet, Bass Viol.
L'Acheron.

What better to start the day with, a day with a dreary outlook, and a negative grin on its countenance. Grey, wet, water cold. Have the logs on the fire, hot coffee, Speculaas cake, and a comfortable seat. So a very good morning to you all.

Sounds very good!  :D  I see that your Marais journey has already led you to the 4th Book. I finished the 3rd Book and am currently listening to the 1st Book - wonderful. The 2nd is on the way.

Listening not next to the fire, but behind the computer, working from home:

More hidden renaissance treasures.

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2013/Feb13/Leiden_choirbooks_v123_KTC1410.htm

Florestan

First listen to this performance:

Disc 1: 6, 8 & 9.

A perfect balance between poetry and drama. Charming beyond words.

And it's even very HIP in one respect. Guess which.  :D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Harry

Franz von Suppe.

Overtures and Marches.

Royal Scottish National Orchestra, Neeme Jarvi.

Music beautiful beyond words, that's what Suppe is to me. What a sublime orchestrator. Definitively a winner on all counts.

Traverso

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 02, 2021, 06:48:43 PM
I'll have to give this one a listen as it came in the Rachmaninov Collection that was released on Melodiya some years ago.

It doesn't have the best sound  It is in mono but  in my opinion it has the right atmosphere.
I like to hear your view on this recording. :)

Harry

Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky.

Symphony No. 2 in C minor. "Little Russian", 1879 version.
Overture in F major, 1866 version.
Festive overture on the Danish National Anthem in D major, 1892 version.
The Storm (Groza), Overture, 1864.

Gothenburg SO, Neeme Jarvi.

Formidable.

Brahmsian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 02, 2021, 09:50:36 AM
Thoughts on the Ballet Suite? (none of whose numbers, I have heard, I don't think.)

Remedy this at once, please!  :)

foxandpeng

Poul Ruders
Symphonies 1, 3, and Nightshade Trilogy
Segerstam, Yoo, Knussen
Da Capo, Chandos, Bridge

Lots of Ruders today...
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Harry

Herman Galynin.
Works for Strings.

For me the disc of the year 2021. An great discovery.

Pohjolas Daughter

Mstislav Rostropovich
Haydn's Cello Concerto No. 1
Himself conducting with
Academy of St. Martin-in-the-fields

Recorded in 1975 at Studio 1, Abbey Road

From M. Rostropovich:  The Complete EMI Recordings (but I bet that some of you vinyl enthusiasts have it on LP--you lucky so and sos!).

What a wonderful way to start the day...like opening up the front door and stepping outside into a warm ray of sunshine.  Hadn't visited Papa Haydn in some time...way too long of a time.

PD

p.s.  Was a bit surprised to read that the cadenza was written by Benjamin Britten; I expect that that is also the same for No. 2 though the way that it's printed in the booklet is a bit strange.
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

NP:

Vaughan Williams
Job: A Masque for Dancing
Bourmemouth SO
Hickox