Author Topic: What are you listening 2 now?  (Read 1929250 times)

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
Re: What are you listening 2 now?
« Reply #55380 on: December 03, 2021, 09:48:45 AM »

Anyone listening to this CD blind would, I'm sure, guess correctly that the music emanated from the late nineteenth century. I doubt very much though that they would guess the composer was Italian. The music seems to owe a lot more to Schumann and Brahms than it does to anyone else, Brahms in particular.

Excellent performances of some rather gorgeous music by the Italian Giuseppe Martucci.

A lovely work, quite “fresh” and inventive. I would argue that it really doesn’t sound much like anyone else; there’s even some occasional Sibelian(!) touches in there.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #55381 on: December 03, 2021, 09:51:34 AM »

Pierné deserves more exposure, but this is only partly successful. Superior sound quality and characterful solo playing by various instrumental leaders, but the climaxes of Cydalise suffer from rather sloppy ensemble playing, especially violins that struggle to hit the right notes. In general this sounds underrehearsed. Plus, of course, you're only getting the suites, not complete works. For Ramuntcho, the Chandos recording has more polish although it's a bit slower at times, and for Cydalise, the Luxembourg/Shallon complete disc offers more realistic, less analytical recorded sound and a truly epic soundworld...and completeness.

The disc was recorded in October 2015 and released in October 2021, an unusual delay for Naxos. I wonder if they initially decided against releasing it, then changed their minds when COVID created lots of gaps in the release calendar.

Good to know, Brian. At least there’s already complete and satisfactory recordings of these fantastically colorful and tuneful works.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #55382 on: December 03, 2021, 10:12:48 AM »
All Hindemith recordings by Bernstein NY are super powerful. I would like to recommend the compilation below.

Have a great weekend, Karl!

And you, friend!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Online classicalgeek

Dvorak, Janacek, Martinu, Shostakovich, Poulenc, Koechlin, Stravinsky, Barber, Mahler (always!), 20th century symphonies (Arnold, Badings, Holmboe, Malipiero, George Lloyd, Rorem, Rubbra, and many others!)
« Reply #55383 on: December 03, 2021, 11:04:18 AM »
Yes, I really like when composers have that gift to write memorable melodies that often are inspired by folk music, and glad to know you have Bergakungen in high esteem. I'll have to give it another listen on the strength of your enthusiasm about it.

And that is definitely the case with both Alfvén and Dvorak! I'm sure there are others... Vaughan Williams, perhaps? And with Dvorak, the folk music doesn't have to Czech - just look at the main theme of the slow movement of the New World Symphony! As for Bergakungen, what else can I say? It's absolutely magnificent!

Thread duty:

Malcolm Arnold
Homage to the Queen: Suite
Rinaldo and Armida
Sweeney Todd: Concert Suite
BBC Philharmonic
Rumon Gamba

(on Spotify)

Simply delightful. Not as intense and hair-raising as Electra, though Rinaldo and Armida comes close. There are touches of Arnold's lighter side in Homage to the Queen, and even in Sweeney Todd he's occasionally playful despite the subject matter!

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #55384 on: December 03, 2021, 11:14:12 AM »
Rachmaninoff's Trio élégiaque No. 2 in D minor, Op. 9

PD

Online classicalgeek

Dvorak, Janacek, Martinu, Shostakovich, Poulenc, Koechlin, Stravinsky, Barber, Mahler (always!), 20th century symphonies (Arnold, Badings, Holmboe, Malipiero, George Lloyd, Rorem, Rubbra, and many others!)
« Reply #55385 on: December 03, 2021, 11:21:06 AM »
All Hindemith recordings by Bernstein NY are super powerful. I would like to recommend the compilation below.

Bernstein was great in such a wide variety of repertoire! I need to get his Nielsen... and I'm thinking I should check out his Hindemith too.

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
« Reply #55386 on: December 03, 2021, 11:58:24 AM »
Bernstein was great in such a wide variety of repertoire! I need to get his Nielsen... and I'm thinking I should check out his Hindemith too.

Yessss. Though I've not heard the Concert Music for Strings and Brass, I have the other two in their original release, and they are among my favorite recordings from his time with the New York Philharmonic. Very powerful, muscular recordings, and the two works seem to thrive on Bernstein's extrovert approach.

Now listening to Enescu's Romanian Rhapsody No. 1, in honor of Great Union Day in Romania (Dec. 1). My current favorite version is with Vlad Vizireanu and the Camerata Regala, live from the lovely old hall in Bucharest. It uses just a single camera shot, highlighting the conductor, but the audio quality is superb (witness all the microphones).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKL7ZOLRfNw&t=784s

--Bruce

“I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts.”

- Alfred Schnittke

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

Offline Linz

« Reply #55387 on: December 03, 2021, 01:47:45 PM »
Brahms Murray Perahia  Handel Variations op. 24 Rhapsodies op.79 Piano Pieces Op. 118 & 119

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #55388 on: December 03, 2021, 01:55:15 PM »

Jean Sibelius: Symphony No.2 in D major, op.43. Osmo Vänskä, Minnesota Orchestra

First listen. Damn, this is a seriously detailed recording. It sounds great, especially the brass.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #55389 on: December 03, 2021, 01:56:20 PM »
And that is definitely the case with both Alfvén and Dvorak! I'm sure there are others... Vaughan Williams, perhaps? And with Dvorak, the folk music doesn't have to Czech - just look at the main theme of the slow movement of the New World Symphony! As for Bergakungen, what else can I say? It's absolutely magnificent!

Thread duty:

Malcolm Arnold
Homage to the Queen: Suite
Rinaldo and Armida
Sweeney Todd: Concert Suite
BBC Philharmonic
Rumon Gamba

(on Spotify)

Simply delightful. Not as intense and hair-raising as Electra, though Rinaldo and Armida comes close. There are touches of Arnold's lighter side in Homage to the Queen, and even in Sweeney Todd he's occasionally playful despite the subject matter!

+1 for Bergakungen and the Arnold ballet music disc.  :)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #55390 on: December 03, 2021, 02:08:05 PM »
Earlier this evening:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Dry Brett Kavanaugh

• Veteran member
    Eric Dolphy, Persian music, Sorabji, Scriabin, Sex Pistols
« Reply #55391 on: December 03, 2021, 02:48:38 PM »
It contains my favourite recording of the Symphony in E-flat.

Killer recording!  :D

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #55392 on: December 03, 2021, 05:50:54 PM »

Edvard Grieg: Norwegian March, op.54 no.3; Notturno, op.54 no.4; Homage March, op.56 no.3. Eugene Ormandy, Philadelphia Orchestra

Kind of feeling the beginnings of a Nordic kick coming on... listening to Grieg, reading Strindberg, admiring the paintings of Munch. Maybe I'll watch a Bergman film tonight  :P

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #55393 on: December 03, 2021, 06:03:50 PM »

Comments in the Opera thread.

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #55394 on: December 03, 2021, 06:06:52 PM »
Earlier this evening:

Also earlier did you enjoy a glass of wine, Jeffrey? I think that would be a winning combination along with listening to music!
Give us something else; give us something new; for Heaven's sake give us something bad, so long as we feel we are alive and active and not just passive admirers of tradition!

Carl Nielsen

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #55395 on: December 03, 2021, 06:09:08 PM »
I'm listening to the amazingly ravishing Barber's Violin Concerto as played by Ehnes and the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra. Impeccable to say the least.
Give us something else; give us something new; for Heaven's sake give us something bad, so long as we feel we are alive and active and not just passive admirers of tradition!

Carl Nielsen

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #55396 on: December 03, 2021, 06:11:13 PM »
A lovely work, quite “fresh” and inventive. I would argue that it really doesn’t sound much like anyone else; there’s even some occasional Sibelian(!) touches in there.

His La canzone dei ricordi could be a firm candidate to a favorite vocal cycle.

Carl Nielsen

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #55397 on: December 03, 2021, 06:18:08 PM »

Carl Nielsen: Symphony No.4, op.29, "The Inextinguishable". Herbert Blomstedt, San Francisco Symphony

Damn, what a killer symphony this is. I must confess that sometimes I struggle with Nielsen's music, but sometimes it really makes sense to me.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #55398 on: December 03, 2021, 06:20:44 PM »
Shostakovich
Lady Macbeth of the Mtsensk District
Boris Timofeyevich Izmailov—Aage Haugland
Zinovy Borisovich Izmailov—Philip Langridge
Yekaterina Lvovna Izmailova—Maria Ewing
Sergei—Sergei Larin
Orchestre et chœurs de l'Opéra Bastille
Myung-Whun Chung
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Online JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #55399 on: December 03, 2021, 06:34:06 PM »
Tonight

The Fourth Symphony
Crackling with energy, but Solti remains the best in this symphony: he knew how to put the fuoco in allegro con fuoco.

So far so good (I'm still on the first CD). I must admit the Pleyel 1836 sounds exactly like the assembly line produced upright in the living room I was allowed to plonk away when visiting my aunt.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk