What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen and 23 Guests are viewing this topic.

kyjo

Ulvi Cemal Erkin: Symphony no. 1

https://youtu.be/8NlJjJasJaU

Though there's no commercial recording of the work, fortunately this one on YT is a very good performance in good sound. This member of the "Turkish Five" knew how to imbue his music with a cinematic sense of drama and exotic color. The scherzo and finale are particularly exciting - the coda is one of those "doomed processionals" that I know Jeffrey (vandermolen) would love! :D

Gardner: Symphony no. 1

For those who enjoy their mid-20th century British symphonies (;)), this is very worthwhile listening. The first movement is rather wayward, but fortunately each movement improves in quality, with the slow movement being an impassioned elegy and the finale quite dynamic and riveting!

Mozart: Symphonies nos. 31 Paris and 34

Two absolutely delightful works which I had previously overlooked. They're given superb performances by the Danish National Chamber Orchestra under Adam Fischer - full of freshness and verve and not too HIP for my tastes.

Saint-Saens: Cello Sonata no. 2 in F major

I enjoyed this work much more than the last time I listened. It's quite different from the stormy, dramatic 1st sonata in C minor, being more expansive in scale and "intellectual" in content (perhaps somewhat "academic" in places but that's a slight quibble). On can sense S-S exploring a more advanced harmonic palette than is perhaps typical of him. Needless to say, I couldn't imagine this performance by Isserlis and Devoyon being bettered!

Vaughan Williams: Concertos for 2 Pianos in C major

A firm favorite of mine. The ineffably beautiful Romanza slow movement provides a perfect foil to the rumbustious energy of the outer movements.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Karl Henning

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 03, 2021, 07:05:43 PM
I've intended to hear the whole thing someday. The title sounds suggestive and sinner.

It's a while since last I had sat down with the whole opera. It is marvelous!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on December 03, 2021, 08:05:03 PM
FWIW, the Cello Concerto isn't really one of my preferred Bliss works. His Piano Concerto, on the other hand, is a scorcher!

And I'm not keen on the Violin Concerto, but I do agree about the brilliance of the Piano Concerto.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Linz

Now playing Disc 3 of this set

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Brewski on December 03, 2021, 07:23:47 PM
It is fabulous. Sordid story, incredible music, which conquers all.

--Bruce

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 03, 2021, 09:11:37 PM
It's a while since last I had sat down with the whole opera. It is marvelous!

Good to read, Brewski and Karl. I'll succumb to the temptation very soon!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on December 03, 2021, 08:40:05 PM
Pounds the table!! One of my very favorite symphonies of all time. Isn't the climax of the first movement just absolutely thrilling and crushing?!

Indeed it is, but the one in the 3rd movement is even more cataclysmic and hysterical. Lloyd certainly knew how to make an orchestra sound.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on December 03, 2021, 08:37:00 PM
Hahn: Piano Concerto in E major

What an utterly sparkling, delightful concerto! I had previously listened to an inferior recording of the work, and my impression was not that positive. I'm glad I took the effort to hear this Hyperion recording to revise my opinion!

The coupling is not half as bad either! I love both heartily.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

The Third from this recording.

I firmly believe that a "right" performance makes a difference on making your perception improve, noting more details, and possibly you could change your mind for good. These performance and recording are simply superb in every possible way, I love the energy the NYPO and Bernstein deliver here.

For me, this was Brahm's "heroic" symphony. The tragic one would come being the 4th, the pastoral one the 2nd, and the 1st is his noble one.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on December 03, 2021, 08:37:00 PM
Kabalevsky: Piano Concerto no. 1

Absolutely superb stuff! One of the great Russian PCs, for sure. The "funeral march-like" procession variation in the slow movement gave me chills up and down my spine!

Dvorak: Symphony no. 1 The Bells of Zlonice

The first movement and scherzo contain some really marvelous music, bold, energetic, and often quite surprising. I'm less convinced by the slow movement and finale, the latter of which sounds like it has like 5 or 6 different endings ( :D), but that's okay - Dvorak's always a composer I can "trust" no matter what.

Pijper: Piano Concerto

Woahhhh, this is cool! Pijper's style is modernistic without being harsh, and is quite "quirky" and original. He packs a lot of material into just 12 and a half minutes! Yet another interesting Dutch composer to explore.

Ries: Piano Quartets nos. 1 and 2

The first piano quartet, in F minor, is enjoyable but not especially memorable. However, the second quartet, in E-flat major, is a superb find, in particular the melancholy slow movement and the folksy, incredibly catchy finale. His third piano quartet (in E minor) and Piano Quintet (available on a Camerata CD) are also excellent and substantial works, well worth seeking out. Ries is one of the most interesting lesser-known composers of the early romantic period IMO.

Hahn: Piano Concerto in E major

What an utterly sparkling, delightful concerto! I had previously listened to an inferior recording of the work, and my impression was not that positive. I'm glad I took the effort to hear this Hyperion recording to revise my opinion!
Kabalevsky's PC No.1 is one of my favourite piano concertos Kyle (my favourite performance is on Chandos). Like his 4th Symphony it is unaccountably neglected. Now playing here is Rawsthorne's PC No.1 which I now enjoy as much as the better known No.2. Lots of my favourites coming up on this thread this morning (or last night  ;D) including Lloyd's 7th Symphony, Gardner's No.1 and VW's Bergen recording of Sinfonia Antartica (nicely coupled with the double PC):
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 03, 2021, 09:31:52 PM
And I'm not keen on the Violin Concerto, but I do agree about the brilliance of the Piano Concerto.
I like the short Concerto for Two Pianos as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Klavier1 on December 03, 2021, 05:46:41 PM
I mostly bought this for the Lyatoshynsky, a big and muscular work, but I also liked the Silvestrov, and pretty much hated the Poleva! (Monotonous and unmemorable) Very good playing and sound. 24/96 FLAC.

That looks most interesting (nice cover image too) as I like just about everything I've heard composed by Lyatoshynsky.

Que

Morning listening:

The 1st disc here has a mixed selection of motets by Franco-Flemish composers: Thomas Crequillon, Benedictus Appenzeller, Joachimus de Monte, Johannes Cleeff, Christan Hollander and Johannes de Richafort.

Renaissance riches revealed

http://www.musica-dei-donum.org/cd_reviews/Etcetera_KTC1410.html

vandermolen

Moroi: Symphony No.3 (1944)
This is a most eloquent and tragic symphony and my favourite of the Naxos Japanese Composers Series, reflecting the despondency of Japanese intellectuals as catastrophe of the Second World War for Japan became increasingly apparent. It is a moving, full-blown tragic symphony:

Que

Papy Oli

Good morning all !  :)

BWV 62 - Gardiner
BWV 62 - Kuijken
BWV 36 - Gardiner
BWV 36 - Kuijken

8)
Olivier

Que

New arrival, a recording I finally managed to track down.  :)

Harry

Quote from: Que on December 04, 2021, 02:01:13 AM
New arrival, a recording I finally able to track down.  :)

Being curious I searched through my collection, and I found it. :)
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Linz on December 03, 2021, 08:59:58 PM
Janos Starker Cello Suites BMW 1008, 1010 & 1012
Excellent choice Linz!  :)

Here listening to Haydn's The Creation with HvK the Berlin Phil and
Gundula Janowith
Christa Ludwig
Fritz Wunderlich Werner Kern
Walter Berry
Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau
and the Wiener Singverein

Listening to it as dawn is arriving here and "Now before the sacred ray the dismal shadows of black darkness vanish..."

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Iota

Quote from: classicalgeek on December 02, 2021, 06:10:32 PM
It really is! He reminds me of Dvorak in that way, able to write the most gorgeous tunes seemingly effortlessly. I'll keep listening to the first three symphonies - I quite enjoyed the Third, actually, but I felt the end of the symphony (as well as the end of the first movement) were anticlimactic. But I can see there's a lot to love. And of course the complete Bergakungen is a complete revelation, one of the favorite things I've listened to in quite some time!

I listened to Bergakungen on the strength of your enthusiasm, first Alfvén I've heard, and found a great deal to enjoy about it too.  :)

Also spinning recently:

Fine company with pleasantly unexpected turns of conversation. Beautifully played. I do wonder where Purcell might have gone given a little more time.

Florestan

Plenty of drama and excitement in these works and especially in this passionate performance.

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini