What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akebergv and 27 Guests are viewing this topic.

foxandpeng

Quote from: vandermolen on December 07, 2021, 07:43:45 AM
What do you make of it Danny?

I actually like it very much. Despite my comments in the composer thread, this is has far less in common with PMD's linear meandering (even though I like that very much in PMD). It's far easier to find structure here, even though there is a great deal going on. I can see how people would appreciate the semi-sacred nature of parts of the writing. I suspect that more listens will capture some of the obvious emotion of the work.

I don't know MacMillan very well, but today has been spent mostly in his company. Good day, really.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

aligreto

Mahler: Symphony No. 4 [Tennstedt]

The opening movement is on the light side in terms of tone but neither necessarily bright and happy nor dark. It has something of a neutral tone when compared with others but it is well presented and played. The second movement has an interesting underlying sinister element to it which I find engaging. The slow movement is rich, warm and full sounding. It is emotionally laden without being sentimental. It is expansive but not overtly intense for the most part. It has a wonderful sense of questioning about it. The glorious conclusion to the movement is quite wonderfully intense though. The voice of Lucia Popp is totally wrong for the required portrayal of a child; the voice is too robust and she has far too much vibrato which I do not like here. Otherwise the final movement is well presented.

premont

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 07, 2021, 08:22:17 AM
Somehow, my Vivaldi train got de-railed. I start again:

CD 1

L'Estro armonico, Op. 3 nos. 1-6

A nice trailer.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Karl Henning

No surprise:

CD 2

L'Estro armonico, Op. 3 nos. 7-12
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Hille Perl - Gamba Recordings on a Spotify playlist of four recordings by her - the other day I listened to a couple of CDs of Perl in my collection and enjoyed - several of these are on Amazon at inflated prices or just not available - Dave :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Ralph Vaughan Williams:  The Solent

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brian

First ever listen to Cherubini's quartets. They're fabulous! If you like late Haydn or Op. 18, there's no reason you won't love this stuff. Very, very well crafted and very well played. Must hear the whole series ASAP.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brian on December 07, 2021, 10:10:13 AM

First ever listen to Cherubini's quartets. They're fabulous! If you like late Haydn or Op. 18, there's no reason you won't love this stuff. Very, very well crafted and very well played. Must hear the whole series ASAP.
Sounds like it might be right up my alley!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SonicMan46

Quote from: Brian on December 07, 2021, 10:10:13 AM

Brian - I've had the 3-CD CPO set of those works w/ Hausmusik London, a period instrument group who I've enjoyed over the years - but just looking at some reviews (attached), James North of Fanfare axed the performances and downgraded the music (like saying 'well, it's not Beethoven'); however, several other reviews were more complimentary - now, have not listened to these in a while but would be curious about others who may have heard some of the other groups?  Dave :)

Brian

Dave - hope you get some answers, this was my first time hearing the works in any performance, but I certainly enjoyed the pieces more than Mr. North did!

-

now:

Kalevi Aho's triple concerto.
Whoa. If you know Kalevi Aho really well, you'll put this on and go "wait? who? what?" The opening doesn't sound like Aho at all - it's traditionally tonal, even nostalgic, with a pure-hearted simple melody subject to the occasional slightly syrupy harmony. This lasts for five minutes before the soloists and orchestra get plunged into a series of variations which take us to much more normal Aho territory.

Well, the explanation is that he wrote the piece around a lyrical lullaby which he wrote for the birth of his granddaughter. The whole piece is dedicated to her - I hope in 20 years or so she really gets to enjoy this recording! - but the lullaby is set out at the beginning in a very simple garb, like the domestic gift of affection that it is. Only then is it developed in more "serious" music suited for the concert hall.

When you understand that backstory, the piece becomes not just successful, but touching. Of course, it helps to already be a fan of Aho's very diverse concertante works.

André

A very fine version, but not as good as the best. Excellent playing by the LPO. The sound needs a boost to get best results.

JBS

Quote from: SonicMan46 on December 07, 2021, 10:40:09 AM
Brian - I've had the 3-CD CPO set of those works w/ Hausmusik London, a period instrument group who I've enjoyed over the years - but just looking at some reviews (attached), James North of Fanfare axed the performances and downgraded the music (like saying 'well, it's not Beethoven'); however, several other reviews were more complimentary - now, have not listened to these in a while but would be curious about others who may have heard some of the other groups?  Dave :)

I have these two, but not the ones Brian posted. I can't really say one is better than the other, but Cherubini put enough meat onto the bones to make it worth getting at least one recording.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

"Papa"
Missa in tempore belli H. 22/9 (1796)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Florestan

Disc 2: 11, 12, 13

Fabulous.

Where has this set been all throughout my life?  ::)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

ritter

I'm not too familiar with the music of Georges Aperghis. I got this CD at the Casa da Musica in Porto (where it was recorded live) a couple of weeks ago.

It includes Babil for clarinet and 15 instruments, Bloody Luna for cello and ensemble, and a Concerto for accordion and orchestra. Soloists, Remix Ensemble, Orquestra Sinfónica da Casa da Música, conducted by Peter Rundel and Baldur Brönnimann.

Interesting, but not really my cup of tea...

classicalgeek

Beethoven
Symphony no. 7
London Symphony Orchestra
Eugen Jochum

A bit heavier than I like my Beethoven 7's, especially in the outer movements, but really well played and interpreted. The great 'Allegretto' second movement is excellent in this performance.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

ritter

Revisiting this truly excellent disc of Philippe Bianconi playing Debussy:

Mirror Image

Now playing: Mahler Das Lied von der Erde (Baker/King/Haitink):

This is the recording that made me fall in love with this masterpiece. This is also the best Mahler I've heard from Haitink.

classicalgeek

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 07, 2021, 01:23:48 PM
Now playing: Mahler Das Lied von der Erde (Baker/King/Haitink):

This is the recording that made me fall in love with this masterpiece. This is also the best Mahler I've heard from Haitink.

A **wonderful** recording!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

SimonNZ