What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry and 32 Guests are viewing this topic.

Que

Quote from: Traverso on January 19, 2022, 03:45:50 AM
Haydn

This set is also hard to find wich is really a pity.

Symphonies No.85-86 & 87

It it! I don't have it for instance...  :(

Cato

In recent days...revisiting things from the past!

Penderecki: Utrenja

I obtained the score for Part I back when the work first was premiered and studied it quite a bit.  For I was interested in Penderecki's use of quarter-tones.

Also..

This was an all-around fave for us classical music fledglings in the 1960's: talk about Heavy Metal!  While the hippies were lollygagging to drugged-out Donovan, we were rawking with Prokofiev's "iron-and-steel" Symphony #2

Erich Leinsdorf and the Boston Symphony were heroes for recording this work!

But they were even bigger heroes for recording the Prokofiev Symphony #3 with The Scythian Suite!!!

I had a few friends absolutely obsessed with this recording: both works never failed to amaze, no matter how often one heard them.

I set out to find The Fiery Angel at our Main Library in Dayton.  Unfortunately, the only recording available at that time (the opera was the source of the symphony's music), was a 1950's mono set from France.   It was somewhat scratched and the quality was mediocre, but one got an idea of the intensity of the work.

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Mirror Image

NP:

Bruckner
Symphony No. 3 in D minor, WAB 103
Berliners
Karajan

Mirror Image

Quote from: Cato on January 19, 2022, 04:12:56 AM
In recent days...revisiting things from the past!

Penderecki: Utrenja

I obtained the score for Part I back when the work first was premiered and studied it quite a bit.  For I was interested in Penderecki's use of quarter-tones.

Also..

This was an all-around fave for us classical music fledglings in the 1960's: talk about Heavy Metal!  While the hippies were lollygagging to drugged-out Donovan, we were rawking with Prokofiev's "iron-and-steel" Symphony #2

Erich Leinsdorf and the Boston Symphony were heroes for recording this work!

But they were even bigger heroes for recording the Prokofiev Symphony #3 with The Scythian Suite!!!

I had a few friends absolutely obsessed with this recording: both works never failed to amaze, no matter how often one hear them.

I set out to find The Fiery Angel at our Main Library in Dayton.  Unfortunately, the only recording available at that time (the opera was the source of the symphony's music), was a 1950's mono set from France.   It was somewhat scratched and the quality was mediocre, but one got an idea of the intensity of the work.

Two powerful P's! Great stuff, Cato. 8)

aligreto

Bruckner: Symphony No. 3, 1889 version [Chailly]

Chailly delivers the requisite power, drama and tension if this music very well in the first movement. The brass, where employed, can be rich and sonorous. He also handles the gentle lyricism very delicately. As is usual with Bruckner there is a huge dynamic range and Chailly also handles this element with great control. This is a fine presentation. The music of the slow movement is sumptuously lyrical and expressive and Chailly gives it a suitably expansive airing. The Scherzo is an animated affair and it is given an assertive airing. However, it retains the lyrical element, particularly in the Trio section, that pervades in the preceding movements. Once again the brass is wonderful in the final movement. I also find the string writing to be exquisite. Chailly has a good grip on the architecture of this movement with its twists and turns. The conclusion is very fine. 

Mirror Image

Quote from: aligreto on January 19, 2022, 04:28:26 AM
Bruckner: Symphony No. 3, 1889 version [Chailly]

Chailly delivers the requisite power, drama and tension if this music very well in the first movement. The brass, where employed, can be rich and sonorous. He also handles the gentle lyricism very delicately. As is usual with Bruckner there is a huge dynamic range and Chailly also handles this element with great control. This is a fine presentation. The music of the slow movement is sumptuously lyrical and expressive and Chailly gives it a suitably expansive airing. The Scherzo is an animated affair and it is given an assertive airing. However, it retains the lyrical element, particularly in the Trio section, that pervades in the preceding movements. Once again the brass is wonderful in the final movement. I also find the string writing to be exquisite. Chailly has a good grip on the architecture of this movement with its twists and turns. The conclusion is very fine.

Copy cat! ;) ;D Joking aside, a fine performance as is this Karajan I'm listening to as well.

Mirror Image

Quote from: foxandpeng on January 19, 2022, 03:32:39 AM
Anton Bruckner
Symphony 3 (WAB 103 - 1877 & 1889 versions)
Johannes Wildner
Westphalia New PO
Naxos

How useful.

Bruckner fever has caught on at GMG! ;) The 3rd is, for me, where Bruckner finally finds his compositional footing so to speak.

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 18, 2022, 07:27:31 PM
Foerster: Symphony No. 4

This is a superb account of this kind of forgotten Czech gem, but truth be told, we do need a more modern recording of it. Chandos, CPO or Supraphon could undertake the journey, hopefully.

There's a quite good recent recording on MD&G (a better performance than the one on Naxos and better recorded than the Supraphon):

It's a fine work, if missing that final "spark" of inspiration that would make it more compelling.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Cato

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 19, 2022, 04:32:36 AM
Bruckner fever has caught on at GMG! ;) The 3rd is, for me, where Bruckner finally finds his compositional footing so to speak.

WOW!  Today must be Bruckner Third Symphony Day, and nobody told me!   8)

And my Jochum set is 120 miles away!   ???

YouTube performances must therefore suffice!

Quote from: foxandpeng on January 19, 2022, 03:32:39 AM

Anton Bruckner
Symphony 3 (WAB 103 - 1877 & 1889 versions)
Johannes Wildner
Westphalia New PO
Naxos

How useful.

I literally grew up with the Nowak editions as performed by Saint Eugen Jochum on DGG.   0:).    But the earlier versions of the symphonies are a revelation!

https://www.youtube.com/v/v6UePotHz5A

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 18, 2022, 10:08:02 PM
I love several Czech composers, but Foerster is one of the most boring I've heard. I remember listening to his violin concerti and I actually fell asleep. Forgettable music.

He has a few good works, but I've shared your experience with works like his 3rd Symphony (probably one of the most boring symphonies I've ever heard).
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Spotted Horses

Lalo, Namouna, Bakels, Malaysian Philharmonic

Very attractive piece of music, melodic, extroverted orchestration, fun use of brass. Performed here with spirit and beautifully recorded.

I previously listened to Ansermet's recording of this piece, which made a similar impression, and in the 60's Decca engineers used to work miracles in Ansermet's Victoria Hall.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Madiel on January 18, 2022, 09:13:47 PM
I think the Ballades are one of the cases where listening to everything in a genre works. But listening to 19 waltzes straight, for example, they can outstay their welcome.

I also think it helps to highlight that many of the mazurkas, waltzes and polonaises that get given high numbers and tacked on at the end are actually early works. I don't see the point of labelling polonaises as numbers 8, 9 and 10 when they're actually all earlier than the first 7.

I never felt there was any reason to listen to an album in the order the producers chose. Records were more expensive in those days, I had less money, and I was building my collection. I had the Polonaises from Pollini, the Preludes from Argerich, and I wanted the Ballades. I could get Arrau, or three different Asheknazy LPs and wait several years for him to get around to the best one?

I never owned an Ashkenazy Chopin recording until they were re-released by genre.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

vandermolen

Constant Lambert: Anna Karenina - a highlight of this CD along with Bliss's 'Things to Come' and Vaughan Williams's 'The Invaders':
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Maestro267

Tchaikovsky: Suite No. 2 in C major
Detroit SO/N. Jarvi

Brian

Some strange features in this obscure symphony by an Alsatian organ virtuoso who died at the age of 35. The symphony, dedicated to Saint-Saëns, features a short funeral procession, a "varied intermezzo," and a finale which begins with an operatic recitative for solo violinist. Then, instead of the violinist getting to play an aria, we jump to a traditional symphonic finale instead. Lots of harp and other French color make this a far more pastoral, rustic symphony than the Franck, Saint-Saëns, or Chausson works which Boëllmann presumably used as models.

Not something that immediately jumps out at me as hugely important or memorable, but certainly a curiosity worth checking out for fans of 1890s French orchestral stuff. The air of tragedy around the composer's short life is augmented by the fact that conductor Patrick Davin died, aged 58, before the disc could be released. Some of you may know Davin from previous recordings of Gabriel Dupont, Florent Schmitt, and Augusta Holmes. (Dupont I like better than Boëllmann. If Jean Cras had a moment at GMG, surely Dupont's easygoing, colorful romanticism can, too.)

The disc could have been released in Davin's lifetime, but the booklet hints cryptically at problems with the record label Timpani, which was supposed to release it but then for some reason could not. I hope Timpani is not in trouble.

Quote from: Maestro267 on January 19, 2022, 06:44:42 AM
Tchaikovsky: Suite No. 2 in C major
Detroit SO/N. Jarvi

(pounds the table)

Papy Oli

Sibelius

En Saga
Pohjola's daughter
Valse Triste
Finlandia
Tapiola

Olivier

Traverso

Debussy

Préludes Livre 1 & 2
L'isle joyeuse

Mirror Image

Quote from: Cato on January 19, 2022, 05:28:54 AM
WOW!  Today must be Bruckner Third Symphony Day, and nobody told me!   8)

And my Jochum set is 120 miles away!   ???

YouTube performances must therefore suffice!

Yes, indeed. 8) Where is your CD collection? In storage?

Mirror Image

NP:

Koechlin
Viola Sonata, Op. 53
Chia Chou (piano), Paul Pesthy (viola)

The new erato

The old Caprice set was groundbreaking, but this is sooo much better. Quartet 6 is a major work.