What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

not edward, Brian and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Florestan

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 20, 2022, 07:57:01 AM
Thanks - the term 'piano' by itself can still be confusing I guess for some not use to the evolution of the instrument (like me a while back -  ::)) - so, I assume that you enjoy P B-S on a modern piano? Preferred over his Schantz set or an 'apples vs. oranges' comparison?   Dave :)

I'm currently listening to his modern piano set on Eurodisc. I have not yet heard his fortepiano set on Astree-Auvidis, so I can't compare. As a rule of thumb, though, I prefer modern pianos over fortepianos.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Alberto Ginastera: Obertura para el Fausto Criollo. Halffter/Gran Canaria.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: aligreto on January 20, 2022, 07:49:31 AM
A depiction of a spider eating its prey on a CD cover would just not do André. It would upset too many of the sensitive souls out there that may well be unaware that animals actually kill and eat each other.  ;D
Perhaps, as John suggests, the feast lies within the music contained in the set.

I usually don't care much about cover art or "presentation," but that cover would be almost enough to dissuade me. Fortunately I find I have all most all of the contents in other releases.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

SonicMan46

Dussek, Jan (1760-1812) - Keyboard Sonatas, V. 7-9 on fortepianos (FP) - finishing up Brilliant's 9-volume series - respectively, Zvi Meniker on a Clementi FP (London, 1797)) restored by Chris Maene; Ursula Dütschler on a Thomas/Barbara Wolf FP (Washington DC, 1983) after Schantz, ca. 1800; and Bart van Oort and Petra Somlai on a FP after Walter by Chris Maene (Ruiselede, Belgium, 2010).  Dave :)

Que

Quote from: Florestan on January 20, 2022, 08:13:35 AM
I'm currently listening to his modern piano set on Eurodisc. I have not yet heard his fortepiano set on Astree-Auvidis, so I can't compare. As a rule of thumb, though, I prefer modern pianos over fortepianos.

I followed the exchange with interest, because the instrument pictured on the cover of the Europadisc set is definitely not a "modern piano" aka a pianoforte, but a fortepiano.

According to the net the set is performed on three different instruments: a Bösendorfer, a Steinway and the Walter fortepiano in Mozart's birth house - et voilá...

Florestan

Quote from: Que on January 20, 2022, 08:26:44 AM
I followed the exchange with interest, because the instrument pictured on the cover of the Europadisc set is definitely not a "modern piano" aka a pianoforte, but a fortepiano.

According to the net the set is performed on three different instruments: a Bösendorfer, a Steinway and the Walter fortepiano in Mozart's birth house - et voilá...

Give us the link, please. I'm currently at disc 3 of 5 and I haven't heard any difference whatsoever in the piano sound and definitely no fortepiano sound. I'm very intrigued.  ???
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

Bruckner
Symphony № 4 in Eb, « Romantic »
State Symphony Cappella of Russia
Rozhdestvensky
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Linz

I am playing one more 3rd symphony of Bruckner By Peter Jan Marthé on the back it says "Slowly you realised that you were witnessing a historic event, one that provided an impetus to reconsider your opinion of Bruckner"  it is a conglomeration of every published version of the 3rd symphony crafted by Marthé into one version.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Florestan on January 20, 2022, 08:37:28 AM
Give us the link, please. I'm currently at disc 3 of 5 and I haven't heard any difference whatsoever in the piano sound and definitely no fortepiano sound. I'm very intrigued.  ???
Quote from: Que on January 20, 2022, 08:26:44 AM

Well, good to 'stir the waters' -  :laugh:  May need to put my Eurodisc on w/ Paul B-S and listen also - the back cover posted before states only 'piano'?  Dave :)

Maestro267

Tchaikovsky: Manfred
Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 5
Bournemouth SO/Litton

Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto No. 1
Donohoe (piano)/Bournemouth SO/Barshai

Florestan

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 20, 2022, 09:22:03 AM
Well, good to 'stir the waters' -  :laugh:  May need to put my Eurodisc on w/ Paul B-S and listen also - the back cover posted before states only 'piano'?  Dave :)

So do the back covers of the individual discs. Unfortunately I don't have the booklet(s).

Iota

Nice to see the natter about Ives upthread, about whom I have very warm feelings.

Quote from: classicalgeek on January 19, 2022, 04:29:42 PM
Charles Ives
Symphony no. 1
Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Michael Tilson Thomas

This was written before Ives developed his unmistakable personal style, and while it has its moments, it's not the most memorable or distinctive work. It's a perfectly fine first symphony, though, and the ending is suitably raucous and bombastic.

I really like the First Symphony, an irresistible, buoyant score that shows great craft I think. Certainly not like his later pioneering style, but not a flaw in it really, with a thrilling peroration to the last movement that I'm sure Tchaikovsky would have applauded to the skies.

Playing here:

Bach Partita No.1 in Bb, BWV 825
Maria Tipo  (piano)

A warm musical intelligence in the playing which makes very pleasant listening.

Linz

Mahler symphony no. 3 with Zubin Mehta and Maureen Forrester and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Que

Quote from: Florestan on January 20, 2022, 08:37:28 AM

https://www.badura-skoda.cc/en/discography_4_m.html

classicalgeek

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 19, 2022, 04:37:18 PM
The 1st was written in dedication to his teacher, Horatio Parker and I believe this symphony does bear his influence. Thankfully, Ives quickly forged his own individualistic path and didn't follow the generation of American composers before him.

Quote from: Iota on January 20, 2022, 10:42:46 AM
Nice to see the natter about Ives upthread, about whom I have very warm feelings.

I really like the First Symphony, an irresistible, buoyant score that shows great craft I think. Certainly not like his later pioneering style, but not a flaw in it really, with a thrilling peroration to the last movement that I'm sure Tchaikovsky would have applauded to the skies.

To me, the Ives First was heavily influenced by other composers - I heard a lot of Dvorak's 'New World', for instance among others. There's still a lot to like about it, though - like you said, Iota, the end of the symphony is quite satisfying!

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 19, 2022, 05:05:44 PM
Bloch: Evocations, for orchestra

For those who love Exotic-Chinese Bloch, it's quite a lovable piece. The very exciting Houang Ti movement contains all the energy, nonetheless. Good work.

Bloch is yet *another* one of those composers I'd like to get to know better...

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on January 20, 2022, 08:13:49 AM

Alberto Ginastera: Obertura para el Fausto Criollo. Halffter/Gran Canaria.

Same with Ginastera!

Thread duty (from last night):
Ives
Symphony no. 2
New York Philharmonic
Leonard Bernstein

From the Bernstein Brick:

If the First Symphony is a respectable effort by a youngish composer still finding his way, the Second is a real winner! It doesn't quite have that "patchwork" effect that we see in later Ives, but the allusions to American folk and popular music are abundant. Somehow it all manages to sound fresh and original. I look forward to listening again soon!

So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Karl Henning

A program of music by my friend and colleague Frank Felice. I especially enjoyed the cl/vc duet. The concert closes with a setting of Hildegard.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

aligreto

Quote from: Linz on January 20, 2022, 08:57:22 AM
I am playing one more 3rd symphony of Bruckner By Peter Jan Marthé on the back it says "Slowly you realised that you were witnessing a historic event, one that provided an impetus to reconsider your opinion of Bruckner"  it is a conglomeration of every published version of the 3rd symphony crafted by Marthé into one version.

How interesting. Did you enjoy it?

Daverz

Quote from: Linz on January 20, 2022, 08:57:22 AM

It looks like he sculpted a Bruckner bust out of butter, and now he's going to melt it.

TD: Les Noces

And last night some big, juicy Russian cello music by Myaskovsky (Cello Concerto):

and Prokofiev (Cello Sonata):

Florestan

Quote from: Que on January 20, 2022, 10:56:58 AM
https://www.badura-skoda.cc/en/discography_4_m.html

Thanks. I doubt the info is accurate, though. As I said, after 3 discs out of 5, I heard no fortepiano and no difference in the piano sound across the different discs. What a mess information-wise.  :)

Iota

Quote from: classicalgeek on January 20, 2022, 10:58:08 AM
To me, the Ives First was heavily influenced by other composers - I heard a lot of Dvorak's 'New World', for instance among others. There's still a lot to like about it, though - like you said, Iota, the end of the symphony is quite satisfying!

Hah, I was actually going to write that I thought Ives demonstrated the same ease of manner as Dvorak in the First, but then left it out. ;D

I agree with what you say, albeit seemingly liking it a bit more than you do, I just find it impressively done though.