What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Quote from: Florestan on January 20, 2022, 11:15:05 AM
Thanks. I doubt the info is accurate, though. As I said, after 3 discs out of 5, I heard no fortepiano and no difference in the piano sound across the different discs. What a mess information-wise.  :)

But why would there be a fortepiano on the cover?  :)

Karl Henning

JS Bach
Cantata № 9 Es ist das Heil uns kommen her, BWV 9
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

foxandpeng

William Alwyn
Violin Concerto
Miss Julie Suite
Fanfare for a Joyful Occasion
David Lloyd Jones
RLPO
Naxos

"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Linz

Quote from: aligreto on January 20, 2022, 11:07:35 AM
How interesting. Did you enjoy it?
Yes I did it is a very interesting version of Bruckners 3rd I listen to it once in a while for the sure pleasure of hearing the most expansive version of that symphony

Karl Henning

JS Bach
Cantata № 10 Meine Seel erhebt den Herren, BWV 10
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

André

A very sophisticated and convincing Zarathustra. Till and Don Juan are very good but not outstanding. Salome's Dance of the Seven Veils (not credited on the cover) is exceptionally decadent. An excellent showcase for the BP and their then MD.

Linz

Mahler 2 Simon Rattle City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra & Chorus with Arlene Augér and Janet Baker

ritter

Victor de Sabata conducting the Orchestra dell'Accademia di Santa Cecilia in Debussy's Jeux. This was the work's first recording ever, made in Rome in 1947.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on January 20, 2022, 10:56:58 AM
https://www.badura-skoda.cc/en/discography_4_m.html

Quote from: Florestan on January 20, 2022, 11:15:05 AM
Thanks. I doubt the info is accurate, though. As I said, after 3 discs out of 5, I heard no fortepiano and no difference in the piano sound across the different discs. What a mess information-wise.  :)

Quote from: Que on January 20, 2022, 11:27:29 AM
But why would there be a fortepiano on the cover?  :)

Hi Guys - concerning the piano pic on the Eurodisc (first pic below), I googled Walter-Flügel in Mozarts Geburtshaus (translation 'Walter Grand Piano in the Mozart Birthplace' from a web translation site) - well plenty of pics appeared but the second one below w/ a gal sitting at presumably Mozart's Walter fortepiano (FP), I believe the instruments are the same; the most revealing evidence (to me as a woodworker) is the grain pattern on the top - so I believe the pics are of the same FP; so why would that pic be put on the cover if the FP was not used?  Don't know?  I have the back labels of the discs and as stated by Andrei, just 'piano' is listed - I'm also currently listening to the recording but hard to tell where I'm at on a single MP3 CD-R containing all 5 CDs, the metadata is whacky (as usual -  ;D) - Dave :)

ritter

Bits and pieces from this delightful compilation, before heading to bed

Mountain Goat

Langgaard: Symphony No. 16, Danish National Symphony Orchestra/Thomas Dausgaard, concluding my rewarding journey through this brilliantly excentric symphony cycle!

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mountain Goat on January 20, 2022, 02:19:45 PM
Langgaard: Symphony No. 16, Danish National Symphony Orchestra/Thomas Dausgaard, concluding my rewarding journey through this brilliantly excentric symphony cycle!

Sweet!

TD:

Bruckner
Symphony № 6 in A
State Symphony Cappella of Russia
Rozhdestvensky
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

VonStupp

Quote from: VonStupp on January 17, 2022, 01:59:15 PM
PI Tchaikovsky
Symphony 5 in e minor, op. 64
Royal PO - Daniele Gatti

The liner notes intimate that Gatti brings the tempos of Tchaikovsky's 5th closer to their true written metronome markings, ones which have been observed to comparatively sag in recordings and performances over the years.

I don't know the veracity of that statement, but this one certainly doesn't dilly-dally, particularly the 1st movement. This seems to be Gatti's modus operandi, as there were similar up-tempo relations in his Tchaik 4th that I heard last week.

Despite all of that, the RPO sounds in excellent shape. VS

Giving a second listen.

I found a High Fidelity article that addresses how far afield recordings have gone from Tchaikovsky's metronome markings. It appears the linked graph is broken, but the article spells it out pretty well. Of course, tempo is only one aspect of a recording.

Tchaikovksy's 5th and tempo relations among recordings

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Madiel

PC no.1, and I'm paying more attention today.

Still not my favourite Rachmaninov by any means, but decent enough.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

classicalgeek

Quote from: Iota on January 20, 2022, 11:25:48 AM
Hah, I was actually going to write that I thought Ives demonstrated the same ease of manner as Dvorak in the First, but then left it out. ;D

I agree with what you say, albeit seemingly liking it a bit more than you do, I just find it impressively done though.

I'll definitely return to it later and give it another listen - I could definitely see myself warming up to it!

TD: Another recording of Ives's Second:

Charles Ives
Robert Browning Overture
Symphony no. 2
Nashville Symphony Orchestra
Kenneth Schemerhorn

(on Spotify)

As fine as Bernstein's DG recording with the New York Phil is, I think I like Schermerhorn's even better, especially for the livelier tempos. I'll have to have another listen to the Robert Browning Overture, as I struggled to grasp what was going on (perhaps the score would be helpful here.)
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Karl Henning

"Papa"
String Quartet in C, Op. 9 № 1, Hob. III:19
Festetics

And, because it had been entirely too long since I heard it last:
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

André

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: classicalgeek on January 20, 2022, 10:58:08 AM
Bloch is yet *another* one of those composers I'd like to get to know better...

Ha, you are in a real treat then. Lots of good stuff are waiting for you! Bloch is a rather consistent, variegated, compelling Swiss composer. His music appeals to me in a good degree, if I've heard any work I don't like by him, it has been rather scarce to be honest.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: André on January 20, 2022, 12:40:53 PM

A very sophisticated and convincing Zarathustra. Till and Don Juan are very good but not outstanding. Salome's Dance of the Seven Veils (not credited on the cover) is exceptionally decadent. An excellent showcase for the BP and their then MD.

My favorite Zarathustra. The opening has the right tempo and meat to leave a strong impression. Karajan had Strauss in his veins.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mountain Goat on January 20, 2022, 02:19:45 PM

In this first meeting with this composer, thus far, what are your favorite symphonies?

Noam Chomsky