What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on January 27, 2022, 07:22:08 AM

No. 3, KV 40

Ditto for this, all Mozart trademarks are there: unfailing melodiousness, continuous alternation between exhilarating joy and bittersweet melancholy and an overall feeling of irepressible cheerfulness and serene gaiety, all presented in the utmost formal elegance and musical beauty.

Lol. I'm impressed you can hear all those Mozart trademarks in music written by other people!
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 27, 2022, 07:46:57 AM
Personally I have a clear preference for the volcanic 5th ... the 4th seems rather un-spectacular to me, but maybe there's more to the web of intricacies, when you get to know the work better ...

The 4th is one of the cases where I've compared recordings, and I definitely preferred this version of it:

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Haydn piano trios.

The set of 3 dedicated to Princess Maria Anna: Hoboken 18-20, or Landon 32-34, op.36 which nobody uses.

foxandpeng

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 27, 2022, 07:46:57 AM
Personally I have a clear preference for the volcanic 5th ... the 4th seems rather un-spectacular to me, but maybe there's more to the web of intricacies, when you get to know the work better ...

5 is also my preference of the two, although 4 probably isn't that far behind. I also don't find too much to choose between this and the Storgårds version, although I really do appreciate Storgårds. Nørgård and his like scratch a particular itch for me .

Thread duty:

Malcolm Lipkin
The Symphonies
Symphony 1 'Sinfonia di Roma'
Lionel Friend
BBC SSO
Lyrita

I don't know Lipkin well, but this and the accompanying symphonies are quickly growing on me. I would probably rank them 3, 2, 1 in order of favourites. Well worth hearing.

"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

classicalgeek

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 27, 2022, 01:28:00 PM
Pounds the table! Glad you enjoyed it.

;D

More Debussy by Tilson Thomas:

Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune
La boîte à joujoux
Jeux
London Symphony Orchestra
Michael Tilson Thomas

(on Spotify)

I've heard better versions of Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune - it's short on the dreamy, hazy quality I like in this work. But Tilson Thomas leads taut, exciting performances of La boîte à joujoux and Jeux - he really brings out Debussy's touches of orchestral color, too.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

André

Quote from: Florestan on January 27, 2022, 10:48:49 AM
You're wrong, it's the other way around: you strive for tragedy and gloom but there's always such jollity in your posts that I can't take you seriously.  ;D >:D :P

Self-derision raised to the level of art  ;D

Daverz

JBS

CD 1. Organ stuff.

Instrument is a 1998 Zanin organ, Church of Santa Caterina, Treviso.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

bhodges

Lutosławski: Concerto for Orchestra (Frankfurt Radio Symphony / Krzysztof Urbański, conductor) - Just fantastic. Rhetorical query: Why doesn't this piece show up more often on concerts here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lwCIK7uENM

--Bruce

JBS

Quote from: JBS on January 27, 2022, 05:54:32 PM
CD 1. Organ stuff.

Instrument is a 1998 Zanin organ, Church of Santa Caterina, Treviso.

Continuing on to CD 2, harpsichord stuff.
Instrument is described as "L. Patella 2005 harpsichord copy by G. B. Giusti".

So far I'm finding the pieces in this set to be more inventive and melodic than the "published" keyboard works. Possibly the fact that the published works had a firmer liturgical context has an impact.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Tonight's line-up:

Milhaud
Printemps, Ops. 25 & 66
Françoise Choveaux

Duruflé
Requiem, Op. 9
Thomas Allen (baritone), Ann Murray (mezzo-soprano), Charles Tunnell (cello)
English Chamber Orchestra, Corydon Singers
Matthew Best

Madiel

Beethoven, Violin sonatas 4 and 5 (which he intended to be published as a single opus)

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on January 27, 2022, 03:25:56 PM
5 is also my preference of the two, although 4 probably isn't that far behind. I also don't find too much to choose between this and the Storgårds version, although I really do appreciate Storgårds. Nørgård and his like scratch a particular itch for me .

Thread duty:

Malcolm Lipkin
The Symphonies
Symphony 1 'Sinfonia di Roma'
Lionel Friend
BBC SSO
Lyrita

I don't know Lipkin well, but this and the accompanying symphonies are quickly growing on me. I would probably rank them 3, 2, 1 in order of favourites. Well worth hearing.
Interesting Danny. I have the Lipkin CD but, initially, the symphonies made little impression on me so, I must listen to them again.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Harry

Johann Ludwig Krebs.
Complete Organ Works, and Harpsichord, CD V.

Felix Friedrichs plays on a Gottfried Silbermann Organ presumably built in 1752-53, Frankenstein.
Pitch: A= 412.5 Hz, Dresdner Kammerton. Johann Daniel Silbermann, his Nephew however completed the organ after Gottfried's death in 1753.

Irmtraut Friedrichs plays on a copy of a Gottfried Silbermann Harpsichord, and was build by Martin Christian Schmidt. The original was probably built between 1740-1750. It is the only Harpsichord Gottfried Silbermann made. The Pitch is also, A= 412.5 Hz, so Dresdner Kammerton.

The Silbermann organ sounds fantastic as well as the Harpsichord. Irmtraut is a very able musician. Never heard the organ before, but is has a very lovely disposition.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Que

Quote from: JBS on January 27, 2022, 06:16:13 PM
Continuing on to CD 2, harpsichord stuff.
Instrument is described as "L. Patella 2005 harpsichord copy by G. B. Giusti".

So far I'm finding the pieces in this set to be more inventive and melodic than the "published" keyboard works. Possibly the fact that the published works had a firmer liturgical context has an impact.

Interesting! After Harry's and your positive comments, I'm going going to give it a run on Spotify. :)

MusicTurner

Quote from: Madiel on January 27, 2022, 02:18:25 PM
The 4th is one of the cases where I've compared recordings, and I definitely preferred this version of it:

I haven't got the Storgårds, but could imagine it being more melodical in the 4th, than Segerstam.

Harry

Claude Debussy.

Orchestral Works.
CD I.

La Mer.
Trois nocturnes.
Prelude a l'Apres midi d'un Faune.
Marche Ecossaise.
Berceuse Heroique.
Musiques pour la Roi Lear.

Orchestre National de I'ORTF, Jean Martinon.
Original EMI recordings 1973/74.

Still prime recordings, the EMI sound is spectacular in detail, and pure expression in the broadest sense. Hard to beat in my opinion. Martinon is a natural if it comes to Debussy. After last listening to it in 2006/7 is still makes a huge impression.

Que

Quote from: Que on January 27, 2022, 11:34:40 PM
Interesting! After Harry's and your positive comments, I'm going going to give it a run on Spotify. :)

Decided to right ahead:

Harry

Quote from: Que on January 28, 2022, 12:26:27 AM
Decided to right ahead:

Well of course I am curious what you think of it, naturally :) Still waiting for Premont too, and what he thinks.

Irons

Quote from: absolutelybaching on January 27, 2022, 01:36:49 PM
Gerald Finzi's Clarinet Concerto 
    Neville Marriner, Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields, Andrew Marriner (clarinet)

Great piece. Not heard the Marriner(s).

TD.

Tippett: Concerto for Double String Orchestra.

Moscow/Bath Festival Chamber Orchestras conducted by Rudolf Barshai.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.