CD I.

De Vogels, overture.
Marsyas, Concert suite.
Hymne for Violin and Orchestra.
Elektra, Symphonic suite.

Residentie Orchestra, The Hague, Hans Vonk
Emmy Verhey, Violin.

Original Chandos recordings, 1989/90
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on January 27, 2022, 02:06:36 PM
Lol. I'm impressed you can hear all those Mozart trademarks in music written by other people!

Well, other people's music was just the canvas. The painting is all Mozart's.  :D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Que

My copy of the original issue on Symphonia left, reissue on Glossa to the right.

Great stuff for lovers of Baroque  violin/ cello  repertoire!!  :)

Harry

Alexander Borodin.

CD I.

Symphonies No. 1 in E flat major & No 3 in A minor.

Royal Stockholm PO, Gennady Rozhdestvensky.

Original Chandos Recordings 1993/94.

ritter

Florent Boffard plays Arnold Schoenberg:

Just starting, but the op. 11 pieces sound wonderful! A rich piano sound, and a phrasing that highlights the late-romantic heritage of this music. Superb!

The CD also come with a DVD by Boffard on Schoenberg. Will watch it soon (have read reviews that say it's interesting).

Harry

Pyotr II'yich  Tchaikovsky.

Swan Lake.
2 CD'S. SACD.
Bergen PO, Neeme Järvi.

aligreto

JS Bach: Sonatas Nos. 1-3 for Flute and Harpsichord BWV 1030-1032 [Musica Antiqua Koln]

The flute line constantly sings out and it is played quite expressively here. However, my ear is constantly drawn to the quality of the keyboard writing in this music, particularly but not exclusively in the quicker tempo movements. I really could listen to this music on constant repeat, particularly when it is played like this.

Spotted Horses

Roussel, Bacchus et Ariane, Martinon, ORTF

(I have it in the Martinon Icon set from Warner)

I returned to this after listening to Le Festin de L'Araignee (spider's banquet).

Bacchus et Ariene was written 13 years after La Feste, when Roussel's musical style had moved away from impressionistic influences and become more neoclassical. I would say his musical voice had started have more in common with Ravel than Debussy, although I find that Roussel always had a unique way of putting music together. Another difference is that the subject matter here is more "serious." In any case, a lovely piece of music, beautifully performed. I am tempted to say that Markevitch made a slightly more convincing case for this score, but here we have the full ballet rather than an orchestral suite.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mirror Image

This entire recording:

This Honegger Zinman disc has been in my collection for ages it seems and I still come back to it from time to time with a newfound enthusiasm with each revisit. The performances are top-drawer and the audio quality is superb.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Spotted Horses on January 28, 2022, 06:01:17 AM
Roussel, Bacchus et Ariane, Martinon, ORTF

(I have it in the Martinon Icon set from Warner)

I returned to this after listening to Le Festin de L'Araignee (spider's banquet).

Bacchus et Ariene was written 13 years after La Feste, when Roussel's musical style had moved away from impressionistic influences and become more neoclassical. I would say his musical voice had started have more in common with Ravel than Debussy, although I find that Roussel always had a unique way of putting music together. Another difference is that the subject matter here is more "serious." In any case, a lovely piece of music, beautifully performed. I am tempted to say that Markevitch made a slightly more convincing case for this score, but here we have the full ballet rather than an orchestral suite.

Pounds the table! Fantastic work, SH. 8) I have this particular performance from Martinon three times in my collection:

Pohjolas Daughter

Bach Ich habe genug with Souzay (on vinyl)

Wonderful singing--love his warm baritone voice.   In excellent sound.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Bizet: Symphony in C [Ansermet]

I have always liked this juvenile but very precocious work. This is a suitably light but very meaningful presentation. The tempo in the first movement is very well driven. The music rides the crest of a wave and sounds wonderful. Its youthful exuberance and drive are given its full vent here in the wonderful opening movement. It is a terrifically exhilarating performance. The second movement, Andande, is very lyrical in tone and powerful in this detailed and full sounding presentation. It is a joyous listening experience. The third movement is a buoyant and animated scherzo-like affair. The final movement is well driven with a great element of excitement. This is a very fine presentation of this work.

Karl Henning

Quote from: aligreto on January 28, 2022, 06:22:25 AM

I have always liked this juvenile but very precocious work. This is a suitably light but very meaningful presentation. The tempo in the first movement is very well driven. The music rides the crest of a wave and sounds wonderful. Its youthful exuberance and drive are given its full vent here in the wonderful opening movement. It is a terrifically exhilarating performance. The second movement, Andande, is very lyrical in tone and powerful in this detailed and full sounding presentation. It is a joyous listening experience. The third movement is a buoyant and animated scherzo-like affair. The final movement is well driven with a great element of excitement. This is a very fine presentation of this work.

Apart from Carmen, the Symphony is probably my favorite Bizet.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

TD:

CD 5
"Wolferl"
Pf Cto in Bb, K.456
Pf Cto in F, K.459 « Second Coronation Concerto »
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

prémont

Quote from: absolutelybaching on January 28, 2022, 06:14:36 AM
Domenico Scarlatti's Keyboard Sonatas 54 
    Scott Ross (harpsichord)

...... but wouldn't wish for much more banging away on the harpsichord for a good few hours afterwards!

A nice description of Scott Ross' playing style!
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

LKB

Quote from: aligreto on January 28, 2022, 06:22:25 AM

That second movement oboe solo was one of my warm-ups back when l was playing... l still miss it.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

foxandpeng

Anton Bruckner
Symphony 5
Bernard Haitink
Baverian Radio Orchestra

Enjoyable, but too much of a dynamic range for me, sadly.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

aligreto

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 28, 2022, 06:34:02 AM

Apart from Carmen, the Symphony is probably my favorite Bizet.

Quote from: LKB on January 28, 2022, 06:59:48 AM
That second movement oboe solo was one of my warm-ups back when l was playing... l still miss it.

It is gratifying to read pleasant associations with Bizet's Symphony. 

aligreto

Quote from: foxandpeng on January 28, 2022, 07:03:59 AM
Anton Bruckner
Symphony 5
Bernard Haitink
Baverian Radio Orchestra

Enjoyable, but too much of a dynamic range for me, sadly.

Too much of a dynamic range in the actual work or in the particular performance for you?

foxandpeng

Quote from: aligreto on January 28, 2022, 07:28:28 AM
Too much of a dynamic range in the actual work or in the particular performance for you?

The performance, I think. Unlike when hearing the Inbal, Tintner, Chailly, I found myself doing far more volume twiddling than usual.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy