What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Dmitri Shostakovich.

CD I from 11.

Symphony No. 12 in F minor & No. 3 in E flat major. "The First of May", sans the last movement, "V pervoye Pervoye maya".

London PO, Bernard Haitink.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Madiel

Sibelius - Fantasia for cello and piano... but it's not that great to listen to because only the cello part survives. So you're listening to a solo cello work that wasn't intended to be one. And then end of the cello part is lost anyway...

There's only one recording apparently. Strictly for completists.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Lisztianwagner

Richard Strauss
Aus Italien
Macbeth

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Harry

Michael Tippett.

The Symphonies.
CD I from IV.

Symphony No. 1 & II.

Bournemouth SO, Richard Hickox.

I decided after listening to both symphonies that Tippett is not my cup of tea, so I take it out of my collection.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

vandermolen

Patrick Hadley 'The Hills'
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Todd

Vestard Shimkus' disc of Soler sounds sort of like a blend of Marie-Luise Hinrich's Soler and Mikhail Pletnev's Scarlatti, though he doesn't go as far as either pianist in their respective styles.  He displays a delicate touch, with many shadings in quieter music, like Hinrichs, though he doesn't play with as ethereal a touch.  He displays a lithe, virtuosic touch reminiscent of Pletnev as well, though I wouldn't say he displays quite the same level as mastery.  He may be able to in other repertoire, like some Rach he recorded.  Anyway, this is a very fine entry in the Naxos cycle.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mirror Image

Quote from: Roasted Swan on June 02, 2022, 12:12:33 AM
I agree - but this was back in the day when conductors didn't have to record complete cycles as the norm.  I do wonder whether quite a lot of the time now conductors end up recording works they don't have a whole lot of empathy for literally for the sake of completeness.

That's a good point, but this didn't stop conductors from recording complete Beethoven, Dvořák, Sibelius, Mahler et. al. cycles. ;) I think it's impossible to have a love for every work one conducts. Like, for example, if I were a famous conductor who took on a Shostakovich project, I'd only record Symphonies Nos. 4-11 & 13-15. These are the symphonies that mean the most to me.

Mirror Image

Now playing Adams The Dharma at Big Sur with Leila Josefwicz and the composer conducting the Los Angeles Philharmonic:

One of the only digital downloads in my collection as there was never a physical release of this performance.

DavidW

Faust is on fire here!

And sublime performance of the 7th

Irons

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 01, 2022, 11:27:03 AM
Now playing Sibelius' 4th with Sanderling and the Berliner Sinfonie-Orchester from this set:

Amazing performance!

The darkest I have heard.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Irons on June 02, 2022, 06:42:20 AM
The darkest I have heard.

Indeed. It really plumbs the depths in a Germanic way. Totally works, too.

Now playing Albéniz Chant d'espagne, Op. 232 with Miguel Baselga from this fantastic set:

Brian

SonicMan46

Well a small box arrived yesterday from PrestoMusic - first 3 up for last night and this morning below - Dave :)

Iota

Quote from: DavidW on June 02, 2022, 06:35:04 AM
Faust is on fire here!

I had Beethoven's death mask (on which that image is based) lying around for years, until it went missing in a move. Such a battle worn and defiant expression. The mask's physicality was striking, and certainly made my connection with him as a person feel more personal.

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 01, 2022, 07:22:15 PM
Speaking of sublime...

Now playing Shostakovich 8th with Sanderling and the Berliner Sinfonie-Orchester from this set:

Too bad Sanderling never recorded a complete cycle, because if conducted them with the same mastery as he does in this partial set, then it would be a top choice for me.

Snap, except in this previously unheard recording ..

.. which is an utterly gripping performance. The shrieks of agony/despair from the orchestra in the last movement are visceral, and the long high note on the strings that closes the piece, just luminous.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

CD 26
Monteverdi & JSB
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Todd on June 02, 2022, 06:18:01 AM

Vestard Shimkus' disc of Soler sounds sort of like a blend of Marie-Luise Hinrich's Soler and Mikhail Pletnev's Scarlatti, though he doesn't go as far as either pianist in their respective styles.  He displays a delicate touch, with many shadings in quieter music, like Hinrichs, though he doesn't play with as ethereal a touch.  He displays a lithe, virtuosic touch reminiscent of Pletnev as well, though I wouldn't say he displays quite the same level as mastery.  He may be able to in other repertoire, like some Rach he recorded.  Anyway, this is a very fine entry in the Naxos cycle.

Nice recording!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 02, 2022, 06:45:20 AM
Indeed. It really plumbs the depths in a Germanic way. Totally works, too.

Now playing Albéniz Chant d'espagne, Op. 232 with Miguel Baselga from this fantastic set:

Hot!

DavidW

Quote from: Iota on June 02, 2022, 07:26:15 AM
I had Beethoven's death mask (on which that image is based) lying around for years, until it went missing in a move. Such a battle worn and defiant expression. The mask's physicality was striking, and certainly made my connection with him as a person feel more personal.

I would have liked to seen the look on the mover's face when he packed that death mask!

Iota

Quote from: DavidW on June 02, 2022, 08:27:32 AM
I would have liked to seen the look on the mover's face when he packed that death mask!

;D  I don't think they ever actually got to see it as it was covered, but I imagine a slew of Roll Over Beethoven jokes might have resulted ...