What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry, AnotherSpin, SonicMan46 and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

Karl Henning

The US Music Festival continues!
The Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center playing the f# minor piano quintet by Amy Marcy Cheney Beach.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on July 05, 2022, 12:04:14 PM
Yes the performance is hot and energetic.

Sorry, I don't understand " original jazz band scoring". Who are the performer? Do you like Rhapsody by Arthur Fiedler/Boston Pop Orchestra as well as Lenny/Sony? Any other recordings of Rhapsody, or other Gershwin, you dig?

Harmonie Ensemble New York. A great disc overall.  I have a special fondness for Marcus Roberts' novel "jazz combo" take on the piece, too.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 05, 2022, 12:11:21 PM
Harmonie Ensemble New York. A great disc overall.  I have a special fondness for Marcus Roberts' novel "jazz combo" take on the piece, too.

🔥🔥🔥The both sound very interesting and exotic. I will look for the recordings.

Symphonic Addict

Foulds: Pasquinade Symphonique No. 2

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Lisztianwagner

Arnold Schönberg
Three Pieces for Chamber Orchestra
Serenade Op.24

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

SonicMan46

Telemann, Georg Phillipp (1681-1767) - Chamber & Ensemble Music - starting in on my 64+ discs of GPT's delightful music; probably the most prolific composer of all time (his catalogue HERE is just astounding!) - will be quite selective since I listen to this music often, but will likely spend a few days w/ him -  ;D  Dave

Linz

Willi Boskovsky plays Overtures  of Johann Strauss II, Otto Nicolai, Emil Nikolaus von Reznicek, Richard Heuberger, Franz Lehár

Symphonic Addict

Ives: Violin Sonata No. 2

Some of the most distinctively American music ever composed is in these wonderful sonatas.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 05, 2022, 01:54:48 PM
Ives: Violin Sonata No. 2

Some of the most distinctively American music ever composed is in these wonderful sonatas.

Great stuff, Cesar. I LOVE those Fulkerson/Shannon recordings of the Ives Violin Sonatas. The 2nd VS is one of my favorite Ives works.

Mirror Image

First dip into this Bartók Warner Classics set that I acquired many months ago:

Suite No. 2, Op. 4, BB. 40, Sz. 34
Orchestre National de la Radiodiffusion Française
Charles Bruck

Two Pictures, (Op.10) Sz. 46
Two Portraits Op. 5

Rotterdams Philharmonisch Orkest
James Conlon

As much as I am a fanatic of Bartók's music and own a rather large collection, I didn't own many recordings from the Warner catalog (EMI, Teldec et. al.). I'm glad that I pulled the trigger on this set as many of these performances are unknown to me.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 05, 2022, 02:24:01 PM
Great stuff, Cesar. I LOVE those Fulkerson/Shannon recordings of the Ives Violin Sonatas. The 2nd VS is one of my favorite Ives works.

They're unique creations. This music exudes personality, spontaneity and idiosyncrasy as nothing else.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 05, 2022, 06:35:07 AM
NP:

Weinberg
Symphony No. 3 in B minor, Op. 45
Gothenburg SO
Svedlund

Tchaikovsky
Symphony No. 4 in F minor, Op. 36
LSO
Markevitch

From these recordings -

I had the great pleasure of seeing Weinberg's 3rd Symphony at the Proms a few years ago - a great experience.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on July 05, 2022, 11:59:51 AM
The cover looks cool. I will check the recording as well as the recordings of VW, Facsimile and No.2/Israel.
I like his Mahler too.
Have a great week, Jeffrey!
I like that cover too - like a Prophet crying in the wilderness (as appropriate for 'Jeremiah'!) You too Manabu!
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on July 05, 2022, 02:58:46 PM
I had the great pleasure of seeing Weinberg's 3rd Symphony at the Proms a few years ago - a great experience.

I bet it was, Jeffrey. One of my favorite Weinberg symphonies.

Mapman

As I promised kyjo, I just listened to
Harty: With the Wild Geese
Thomson: Ulster

A very nice romantic tone poem. The booklet notes mention similarity to Tchaikovsky, which I heard, but Irish folk music is an equally important influence. I particularly liked the beauty of the section The Night Before The Battle.

DavidW

JBS

It's been a number of years since I last heard these symphonies, in effect a first listen to almost all of it.

Right now, an invigorating Third Symphony followed by La Mer, a more straightforward pictorial approach than Debussy. (You can hear the waves crashing down in the very first bars, for instance.)

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Symphonic Addict

Ustvolskaya: Grand Duet, for cello and piano

Unsettling, eerie, thought-provoking. I enjoyed this quite a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/v//FYLHWDCvFpQ

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Continuing on with the Bartók Warner Classics set:

Four Orchestral Pieces Op. 12 (Sz 51)
Rotterdams Philharmonisch Orkest
James Conlon

The Wooden Prince Suite, BB 74, Sz. 60
Toronto Symphony Orchestra
Jukka-Pekka Saraste

Romanian Folk Dances for orchestra, Sz. 68, BB 76
Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra
Sakari Oramo

Traverso

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 05, 2022, 10:49:03 AM
One of the great Bluebeard's Castle recordings. My absolute favorite is Boulez on Columbia (Sony).

Indeed,the Boulez is a classic,I will listen to the Haitink recording.