What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spotted Horses, Roasted Swan, Daverz and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Brian

Bouncing around Florian Uhlig's Schumann cycle on streaming, testing things out for Harry. I listened to the Etudes symphoniques ("second version"), Geister variations, Fantasiestücke, and Kreisleriana ("first version").

Across the board, very clear/clean engineering that is slightly close, and very clean, precise playing as well. Uhlig is more of a "cool," analytical thinker who mostly keeps his touch on the staccato side, so he does not indulge in big sweeping emotional gestures. I can imagine that this consistency of style would be useful if you want to directly compare alternate and early versions of works where he recorded multiple versions.

I like best Uhlig's soft, sensitive touch in places like the Geister Variations and Fantasiestücke Op. 12. It really feels "domestic," like somebody is playing for you in your house rather than on a grand concert stage.

Of course I continue to have favorite versions of these works (like Perahia in Fantasiestücke and Lonquich in Kreisleriana) but Uhlig does seem like a good guide for the completist.

I have not heard the rival "complete" cycles from Dana Ciocarlie or Jörg Demus, and only little bits of the Eric Le Sage box.

Harry

Quote from: Brian on August 26, 2022, 06:53:14 AM

Bouncing around Florian Uhlig's Schumann cycle on streaming, testing things out for Harry. I listened to the Etudes symphoniques ("second version"), Geister variations, Fantasiestücke, and Kreisleriana ("first version").

Across the board, very clear/clean engineering that is slightly close, and very clean, precise playing as well. Uhlig is more of a "cool," analytical thinker who mostly keeps his touch on the staccato side, so he does not indulge in big sweeping emotional gestures. I can imagine that this consistency of style would be useful if you want to directly compare alternate and early versions of works where he recorded multiple versions.

I like best Uhlig's soft, sensitive touch in places like the Geister Variations and Fantasiestücke Op. 12. It really feels "domestic," like somebody is playing for you in your house rather than on a grand concert stage.

Of course I continue to have favorite versions of these works (like Perahia in Fantasiestücke and Lonquich in Kreisleriana) but Uhlig does seem like a good guide for the completist.

I have not heard the rival "complete" cycles from Dana Ciocarlie or Jörg Demus, and only little bits of the Eric Le Sage box.

I have the Jörg Demus set, and it is not at all comparable with your description of Uhlig. But on the other hand it is something I am looking for, clean and precise playing, and not into big dramatic gestures. It sounds to me a likely candidate for my collection, Jörg could use some cleanliness :)
I am grateful Brian you are testing this for me, I lay great store in your concise rendering of this performance..
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

aligreto

Britten: Four Sea Interludes And Passacaglia From "Peter Grimes" [Pesek]

This is a work that I like. I find the music throughout to be both inventive and atmospheric. The music is always saying something interesting. I think that Pesek gives a great presentation of it here. He brings great energy, drama and tension to it adding to the wonderful inherent atmosphere. The interpretation of this music, and indeed its performance, is of the highest order here, I feel.

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on August 26, 2022, 06:38:11 AM

Rameau and Brüggen a fine combination, enjoy the music. :)

Good day, Jan.
I agree, Rameau and Brüggen is a very fine combination.
I will finish the CD later this evening.
:)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Operafreak on August 25, 2022, 07:51:06 PM

Schoenberg & Brahms: Violin Concertos- Jack Liebeck (violin), BBC Symphony Orchestra, Andrew Gourlay

Nice pairing!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brian

Quote from: Harry on August 26, 2022, 07:01:08 AM
I have the Jörg Demus set, and it is not at all comparable with your description of Uhlig. But on the other hand it is something I am looking for, clean and precise playing, and not into big dramatic gestures. It sounds to me a likely candidate for my collection, Jörg could use some cleanliness :)
I am grateful Brian you are testing this for me, I lay great store in your concise rendering of this performance..
The only negative comment I have is that sometimes some of the loud/blustery music (like "Grillen," Op. 12 No. 4) is a little bit stiff. But the quieter and more playful pieces are very well done.

Irons

Quote from: aligreto on August 25, 2022, 02:29:41 PM
Arnold is a composer that I have only recently "discovered". I am working my way through his symphonic cycle at the moment. I have been very impressed with and excited about what I have heard so far. I would intend to follow up with his chamber music at a later stage. I will watch out for that album in due course.

Following your wise words on the symphonies with interest. Arnold should be right up my street and well aware of his popularity on this forum. Banging on his symphonic door but for some strange reason can't get in. Totally down to me not Arnold, of course.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Harry

Quote from: Brian on August 26, 2022, 07:19:15 AM
The only negative comment I have is that sometimes some of the loud/blustery music (like "Grillen," Op. 12 No. 4) is a little bit stiff. But the quieter and more playful pieces are very well done.

Thank you Brian, that helps me to make my decision. On such short notice this kind of help, is awesome! I will order this box.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Que on August 25, 2022, 10:33:44 PM
Morning listening:

Organ works (II)

It is a pity that Brilliant, presumably for budgetary reasons, didn't opt for a array of historical German organs.

But the Italian/Slovenian built German Baroque style instrument used here sounds pretty good and authentic.

Nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Harry on August 25, 2022, 10:48:38 PM
Then the CPO series would be a good choice for you, if you want Historic organs a plenty.
Good morning in this somewhat cooler day.

And goededag to you, Harry!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Spotted Horses

Bounced around a little. Listened to the first pieces in Brahms' Op 116, Ciccolini. Then decided to listen to Cziffra's recording of Liszt's Annees de pelerinage (only the first three pieces in the first year). Cziffra is impressive.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Harry

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Irons

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on August 25, 2022, 06:28:30 PM
The Hyperion (Helios) CDs of his chamber music contain many other interesting pieces (including that Piano Trio). Do you know/have them?

Huge fan of the Nash Ensemble. I will investigate, thanks for heads up. The other Arnold chamber work that impressed me, more then his Trio, I think, is the 1st Violin Sonata.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Karl Henning

Quote from: aligreto on August 26, 2022, 07:02:41 AM
Britten: Four Sea Interludes And Passacaglia From "Peter Grimes" [Pesek]

This is a work that I like. I find the music throughout to be both inventive and atmospheric. The music is always saying something interesting. I think that Pesek gives a great presentation of it here. He brings great energy, drama and tension to it adding to the wonderful inherent atmosphere. The interpretation of this music, and indeed its performance, is of the highest order here, I feel.

Stunning!

TD:

First-Listen Friday!

CD 9

Vissarion Shebalin
Symphony № 3 in C, Op. 17

Yuri Shaporin
The Flea—Suite

Nikolai Rakov
Sinfonietta for string orchestra
Symphony № 3 in C for string orchestra
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Lisztianwagner

Rach playing his own Piano Concertos:

Sergei Rachmaninov
Piano Concerto No.2
Piano Concerto No.3

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Florestan

Pour yourself a glass of your favorite Italian wine, recline in your favorite armchair and wallow in the glories and felicities of Donizetti's belcanto for the salon. Superb performances, SOTA sound. A Florestan's-Stamp-of-Approval disc --- which makes for a good companion to another of the kind, Thalberg's Les Soirées de Pausilippe - Hommage à Rossini: 24 Pensées Musicales for solo piano (Francesco Nicolosi on Naxos).

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Traverso

Cant De La Sibilla

It's been a long time since I listened to this recording, could be twenty years. The advantage of this is that it still sounds fresh.

Florestan

Quote from: Brian on August 26, 2022, 06:53:14 AM

Uhlig is more of a "cool," analytical thinker who mostly keeps his touch on the staccato side, so he does not indulge in big sweeping emotional gestures.

Have not heard anything in that set but your description above doesn't bode well for the Florestan sections. (I might be wrong, though)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

SonicMan46

Schumann, Robert - Piano Music w/ Dana Ciocarlie - first four discs; a more modest sized 13-disc box in sleeves - despite being 'live' there is virtually no audience heard (a relief for me!) - Dave :)