What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Ruth Gipps.
Orchestral Works II.
BBC Philharmonic, Rumon Gamba.

Drop dead gorgeous, what a magnificent achievement this recording is. Goes straight into my list of best recordings 2022, number one. State of the Art recording, top-notch performances from this sublime orchestra and conductor, and above all immortal music of the highest quality one can imagine. The Third symphony will release so many emotions that I can barely keep pace with it. A plethora of images and so many details to consider, one gets quite overwhelmed. If one is not moved by this music I eat my hat. That said, be nice and buy this CD, Gipps deserves it. And no, I will not reimburse you, if you disagree with me after listening to it. :laugh:
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

SonicMan46

Dussek, Jan (1760-1812) - Keyboard Sonatas - Becker on a modern piano and several performers on fortepianos - Brilliant HERE has released a total of 10 volumes of Dussek's solo KB works, labelled V. 1-9; the earliest volume w/o a number is attached (I guess that V. 0 would be appropriate?).  Dave :)

Papy Oli

Olivier

aligreto

Cross post from the Vaughan Williams Thread:

Vaughan Williams: Symphony No. 2 [Barbirolli]

This was a recent purchase. Although I have the same recording in an Angel presentation I snapped it up in excellent condition for the princely sum of €2.00.

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on October 15, 2022, 06:10:33 AM

Chausson - Symphony Op.20

Quote from: Papy Oli on October 15, 2022, 07:54:50 AM
Dutilleux - Métaboles

Are you feeling nostalgic or homesick today, I wonder?  ;D

Papy Oli

Quote from: aligreto on October 15, 2022, 08:06:20 AM
Are you feeling nostalgic or homesick today, I wonder?  ;D

No idea what you mean...

TD:

Poulenc - Suite Française
(From the big blue box)

:laugh: :laugh:

(The entente cordiale took a dent in the Womens Rugby World Cup this morning....Feeling unnecessarily Gallic today  :P )
Olivier

Linz

Bach Brandenburg Concertos 1 BWV 1046, 2 BWV 1047 3 BWV 1048 Concerto Italiano Rinaldo Alssandrini

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on October 15, 2022, 08:11:30 AM
No idea what you mean...

TD:

Poulenc - Suite Française
(From the big blue box)

:laugh: :laugh:

(The entente cordiale took a dent in the Womens Rugby World Cup this morning....Feeling unnecessarily Gallic today  :P )

Very understandable in the circumstances  ;)

aligreto

Quote from: Linz on October 15, 2022, 08:12:57 AM
Bach Brandenburg Concertos 1 BWV 1046, 2 BWV 1047 3 BWV 1048 Concerto Italiano Rinaldo Alssandrini

It has been a very long time since I listened to that set. I must revisit.

foxandpeng

RVW
Complete Symphonies
Symphony 5
Bernard Haitink
London PO

Again, I very much appreciate this performance too
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Linz

Now for CD 2 which has my favorite concerto No. 5

VonStupp

George Dyson
Choral Symphony

Elizabeth Watts, soprano / Caitlin Hulcup, mezzo
Josh Ellicott, tenor / Roderick Williams, baritone

The Bach Choir
Bournemouth SO - David Hill

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

aligreto

The Music of Arnold Schoenberg, Vol. II [Craft]

I find the music on the A side of this album to be always intriguing and oftentimes very exciting. I particularly like the orchestral colours achieved by the very clear sonorities throughout his scoring.

The B side of the album consists of a performance of Verklarte Nacht in its Orchestral version.

I am not a big fan of the orchestrated version of Verklarte Nacht. Not that there is anything intrinsically wrong with it as a stand alone work. I came to the work through the original String Sextet version. That is how I have always heard it in my head. I find the orchestrated version to be too lush and dense in comparison and it takes away from the immediacy and intimacy of the String Sextet version, for me.

aligreto

Quote from: Linz on October 15, 2022, 08:53:20 AM
Now for CD 2 which has my favorite concerto No. 5

No. 5 is undoubtedly excellent, as indeed they all are! My favourite has always been No. 4.

foxandpeng

RVW
Complete Symphonies
Symphony 3 'Pastoral'
Bernard Haitink
London PO

You know, I really like this too. Slower than any other performance I have heard, I think. Works well as a Saturday evening wind down after the grandchildren have gone home 🙂

He was a bit of a clever sausage, RVW, huh? Still remains one of my favourite symphony cycles of all, and Haitink is proving to be a positive interpreter, for me at least. Hurwitz be darned. Darned all the way to heck 😁
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on October 15, 2022, 12:15:41 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fnfBs1LcFBo

Chotose Okashiro's transcription of Tchaikovsky's 6th symphony. It certainly is a strange experience to hear such familiar music presented in an unexpected way.

Interesting music. Thank you for the link!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: aligreto on October 15, 2022, 05:04:36 AM
JS Bach: Organ Works played by Kooiman

Toccata und Fuge, BWV 565
Toccata (Praeludium und Fuge), BWV 566
Toccata und Fuge, BWV 540

Excellent!

Quote from: Traverso on October 15, 2022, 05:46:55 AM
Bach

Nice!