What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjme

Quote from: Madiel on October 16, 2022, 04:13:39 AM
In part because no-one ever reacts.

Well, yes, one of the frustrations of Forums with people listening, reading and writing  in the four corners of the world. I stopped worrying, and react even less.
But I do like a good dose of Poulenc songs .

And this historical TV recording is -at least - fun. Denise Duval's voice isn't the sweetest , but suits the café chantant atmosphere....

https://www.youtube.com/v/dJeMUVa_ym4

Mandryka

BEETHOVEN : Turkish March from "Die Ruinen von Athen", arranged for 8 pianos with a very special ending - GINA BACHAUER, JORGE BOLET, JEANNE-MARIE DARRE, ALICIA DE LARROCHA, JOHN LILL, RADU LUPU, GARRICK OHLSSON, BALINT VAZSONYI

From GALA BENEFIT CONCERT FOR THE "INTERNATIONAL PIANO LIBRARY" ROYAL ALBERT HALL, LONDON, DECEMBER 9, 1974.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QTHqOqLX8U&ab_channel=pianotreasures
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Que

Disc 2: Sonatas KV 570 and KV 457, Fantasy KV 475 and Adagio KV 540.

Traverso

Bach

My first medicine today.....

Harry

Quote from: Que on October 15, 2022, 11:42:37 PM
Morning listening: a quick check on Spotify before ordering.

Possibly one of the worst covers of the bunch... which is quite an achievement.  8)

I simply paste a nice pic of the Renaissance over the Artwork, in fact I already did with the ones i have already.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Quote from: Operafreak on October 16, 2022, 01:25:17 AM

Johannes Ockeghem: Masses 2- The Sound and the Fury

Another atrocity, I have a lot of Renaissance pics to cover this monstrosity. 
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Traverso

SonicMan46

Debussy, Claude - Orchestral Works w/ Stephane Deneve and the Royal Scottish NO - a fairly new acquisition that I find excellent (as do a number of reviewers in the attachment for those interested) - BUT my long time Martinon box remains in my collection -  :laugh:  Dave

vandermolen

Vaughan Williams: Symphony No.6 LPO Boult
This is the Pristine remastering of the greatest performance (IMO) of VW's greatest symphony (IMO).
I'm enormously attached to this performance partly for nostalgic/sentimental reasons as I impulse bought it in 1971 (aged c.16) from W H Smiths in the Earl's Court Road on my way home from school and it was a huge turning point for me in relation to classical music generally and Vaughan Williams in particular. I think that I bought that particular LP (Decca Eclipse Label - see below) as I was curious because it featured a 'short speech from the composer' - thanking Boult and the orchestra 'including the lady harpist'. I have to say that the Pristine CD sounds a bit shrill to me. I'm looking forward to comparing this version with the same recording in the Decca remastered VW symphonies boxed set and the Boult British Music Eloquence set.
PS The Epilogue is much louder than on my old LP (when I first played the LP I thought that something was wrong as I could hardly hear anything in the last movement). Boult takes this movement much slower than everyone else (and more slowly than the score indicates) but he had VW in the studio with him, who clearly thought it was right as evidenced in his short speech of thanks to Boult and the orchestra.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vers la flamme

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Die Zauberflöte, K 620. Karl Böhm, Berlin Philharmonic, RIAS Chamber Choir

Just an amazing recording. I love the singing. Wouldn't change a thing about it (though I do usually skip the spoken dialogue).

Lisztianwagner

Igor Stravinsky
Concerto in D

Herbert von Karajan & Berliner Philharmoniker

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

vandermolen

Vaughan Williams: Symphony No.9 LPO, Boult
This was the one recorded a few hours after the composer died (he had been due to attend the recording). Boult makes a short speech, in tribute, at the start. Moving and powerful - a very special performance (from the Pristine CD above)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on October 16, 2022, 12:33:11 AM
Interesting. I much prefer the first two symphonies.

On hearing the No. 3 yesterday I feel obliged to love them all (No. 4 is my favorite), but I was put off by the singer on that Hyperion recording. Not a good idea to include a solo voice in my view.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: pjme on October 16, 2022, 04:32:10 AM
Well, yes, one of the frustrations of Forums with people listening, reading and writing  in the four corners of the world. I stopped worrying, and react even less.

It seems that some people expect reactions to their posts, but they often don't react to others' posts for whatever reasons, but like you, it's better not worrying about that.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on October 16, 2022, 12:19:16 PM
Igor Stravinsky
Concerto in D

Herbert von Karajan & Berliner Philharmoniker

I've struggled with this work. When I stumbled upon this piece I remember expecting brighter and perky music, but it wasn't.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Copland: Symphony No. 2 'Short Symphony'

The rhythmic elements of the work make it interesting, but I much prefer his Symphony for organ and orchestra and Symphony No. 3.

Noam Chomsky

vers la flamme

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Piano Sonata No.8 in A minor, K 310. Mitsuko Uchida

Another excellent Mozart performance.

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on October 16, 2022, 12:33:41 PM
I've struggled with this work. When I stumbled upon this piece I remember expecting brighter and perky music, but it wasn't.
Personally, I appreciate it and Karajan's recording is beautiful and accurate as usuall; nonetheless I agree, it's a charming piece, very lyrical, elegant, but not as particularly impressive as other Stravinsky's works, like for example The Rite of Spring and Petrouchka.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Que