What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linz and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

vers la flamme

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 16, 2022, 01:02:36 PM

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Piano Sonata No.8 in A minor, K 310. Mitsuko Uchida

Another excellent Mozart performance.

The Andante is massive, and beautiful. Reminding me at this moment of the Arietta of Beethoven's op.111.

SonicMan46

Debussy, Claude - Piano Works performed by Noriko Ogawa - 6 disc box set - Dave :)

vers la flamme

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 16, 2022, 01:02:36 PM

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Piano Sonata No.8 in A minor, K 310. Mitsuko Uchida

Another excellent Mozart performance.

Now Piano Sonata No.9 in D major, K 311 on the same disc, which is also blowing my mind. I love the descending motive that ends the exposition of the allegro. It's so lyrical and Mozartian. Uchida is amazing. I've been putting off listening to the van Oort set which I picked up recently, because I've been enjoying so much my revisiting of Uchida's recordings.

Madiel

Quote from: pjme on October 16, 2022, 04:32:10 AM
Well, yes, one of the frustrations of Forums with people listening, reading and writing  in the four corners of the world. I stopped worrying, and react even less.
But I do like a good dose of Poulenc songs .

And this historical TV recording is -at least - fun. Denise Duval's voice isn't the sweetest , but suits the café chantant atmosphere....

https://www.youtube.com/v/dJeMUVa_ym4

Thanks, very interesting. It's the switches of style that make Poulenc, and this album series I'm listening to, so wonderful. There are Parisian cafe moments mixed with profound beauty, and it's a heady combination.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on October 16, 2022, 12:30:56 PM
It seems that some people expect reactions to their posts, but they often don't react to others' posts for whatever reasons, but like you, it's better not worrying about that.

I can react to this one, if you like.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Dukas: Symphony in C. RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra, Jean-Luc Tingaud.

pjme

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on October 16, 2022, 12:28:50 PM
On hearing the No. 3 yesterday I feel obliged to love them all (No. 4 is my favorite), but I was put off by the singer on that Hyperion recording. Not a good idea to include a solo voice in my view.

...never feel obliged to like or dislike something...
Anyway, I love symphonies with voices - be it large choruses or just a single voice. The human voice can be just glorious.

Todd

Disc four.  Wrapping up another go-round with the complete cycle.  It gets better with each listen and has cemented its position as a great post-war cycle.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

vers la flamme

Just finished:

Ludwig van Beethoven: Symphony No.9 in D minor, op.125; Symphony No.1 in C major, op.21. John Eliot Gardiner, Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique

It was interesting going from Beethoven's last symphony to his first. The Gardiner cycle continues to sound damn good to my ears.

Now:

Hector Berlioz: Les Nuits d'Été. Régine Crespin, Ernest Ansermet, Orchestre de la Suisse Romande

Has never sounded better. Guess I have to be in the mood.

Madiel

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 16, 2022, 05:59:45 PM
Just finished:

Ludwig van Beethoven: Symphony No.9 in D minor, op.125; Symphony No.1 in C major, op.21. John Eliot Gardiner, Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique

It was interesting going from Beethoven's last symphony to his first. The Gardiner cycle continues to sound damn good to my ears.

Now:

Hector Berlioz: Les Nuits d'Été. Régine Crespin, Ernest Ansermet, Orchestre de la Suisse Romande

Has never sounded better. Guess I have to be in the mood.

I need to give that Crespin album another spin. It's been ages.

JBS

Quote from: Todd on October 16, 2022, 03:42:39 PM

Disc four.  Wrapping up another go-round with the complete cycle.  It gets better with each listen and has cemented its position as a great post-war cycle.

I tried that set, but it just seemed like a bunch of "sound and fury*, signifying nothing".  I suppose eventually I'll give it another go.

TD

CD 6
A 20th century hotchpotch

Poulenc: Sextet for Winds and Piano FP100**

Webern: Concerto for 9 Instruments Op 24**

Martinu: Nonet Number 2 H374**

Ingolf Dahl: Duettino Concertante for Flute and Percussion

*there's not really that much fury in the music

**sorry, not in the mood to write out the complete lists of instruments

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: pjme on October 16, 2022, 02:02:16 PM
...never feel obliged to like or dislike something...
Anyway, I love symphonies with voices - be it large choruses or just a single voice. The human voice can be just glorious.

It was a way to express it, not to be taken too seriously.

There are examples where I do enjoy human voices, but on that specific recording I didn't.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Gipps: Oboe Concerto

The orchestration was the highlight of this piece. I'm not sure if either I'm getting more demanding or some listeners are easily impressionable, but this work is pleasant, not exceptional. Let's see how the others pieces go.

Noam Chomsky

Que

My morning listening on Spotify:

A fun recording I came across ... I have a soft spot for duets for organ or harpsichord!  :)

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on October 16, 2022, 07:47:11 PM
Gipps: Oboe Concerto

The orchestration was the highlight of this piece. I'm not sure if either I'm getting more demanding or some listeners are easily impressionable, but this work is pleasant, not exceptional. Let's see how the others pieces go.

Exceptional because she was about 20 when she wrote this.  The certainty of the handling of the material and the skill of the orchestration is certainly unusual in a composer this age.  I don't think it has any great aims in terms of musical profundity - its quite a light and good natured work but that does not diminish its craft.

pjme

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on October 16, 2022, 07:43:21 PM
It was a way to express it, not to be taken too seriously.

Ah! I forgot  :) ;D :P

Operafreak

Mozart: Works For Solo Piano, Vol. 1/Federico Colli
The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

vers la flamme

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Piano Concerto No.11 in F major, K 413. Murray Perahia, English Chamber Orchestra

Been listening through this set in order, one or two concertos a day, for about a week now, and this must be my favorite so far—I guess this is where the "mature" concertos begin, after his move to Vienna. Such beautiful melodies. Couldn't be happier with the set. Great sound, great playing.

Mandryka

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 17, 2022, 02:55:42 AM

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Piano Concerto No.11 in F major, K 413. Murray Perahia, English Chamber Orchestra

Been listening through this set in order, one or two concertos a day, for about a week now, and this must be my favorite so far—I guess this is where the "mature" concertos begin, after his move to Vienna. Such beautiful melodies. Couldn't be happier with the set. Great sound, great playing.

His 14 is a real high point, not just of the set but of the whole universe.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen