What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 17, 2022, 10:46:11 AM
pleasant, but nothing to write home about

At least three quarters of all music ever written qualify.  :D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

vandermolen

Quote from: Daverz on October 17, 2022, 03:12:18 PM
Prokofiev: Symphony No. 6

Not a good performance (sour playing) or recording (though listenable enough), but sticking with it to hear Martinon's interpretation.
Martinon's 6th Symphony is one of my favourite versions of that fine score (which I discovered on a Vox/Turnabout LP).

The new Ruth Gipps CD finally arrived yesterday and I have enjoyed it greatly, although, having only played it through once, I am listening again now. She has an easily recognisable and rather endearing style. The 3rd Symphony reminded me more of the charming 2nd Symphony than the more epic No.4. My only slight disappointment was on discovering that 'Death on the Pale Horse' was not part of a soundtrack to a Lee Van Cleef film.  8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on October 18, 2022, 12:16:22 AM
Martinon's 6th Symphony is one of my favourite versions of that fine score (which I discovered on a Vox/Turnabout LP).

The new Ruth Gipps CD finally arrived yesterday and I have enjoyed it greatly, although, having only played it through once, I am listening again now. She has an easily recognisable and rather endearing style. The 3rd Symphony reminded me more of the charming 2nd Symphony than the more epic No.4. My only slight disappointment was on discovering that 'Death on the Pale Horse' was not part of a soundtrack to a Lee Van Cleef film.  8)

You lookin' at me.........

"Death on the Pale Horse" slightly confused me (albeit for different reasons  :)) - the liner says its inspired by this Blake image;

but that seems like a very dynamic forceful image and the Gipps is a rather muted static elegy

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 18, 2022, 12:28:08 AM
You lookin' at me.........

"Death on the Pale Horse" slightly confused me (albeit for different reasons  :)) - the liner says its inspired by this Blake image;

but that seems like a very dynamic forceful image and the Gipps is a rather muted static elegy
;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Harry

Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 18, 2022, 12:28:08 AM

Funny, that was not my impression, but then we react all differently on music I guess.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Organ Works of the North German Baroque.
Volume IV.
Composers on this disc.
Martin Radeck, Arnold Matthias Brunckhorst, Johann Steffens, Daniel Erich, Christian Ritter, Johann Nicolaus Hanff.
Friedhelm Flamme, Organ.
Christian Vater Organ, 1722/23. St. Cosmas and St Damian, Bockhorn.
Pitch: A=468 Hz.
Temperament: Unequal.

One of the better recording by Friedhelm Flamme, and I do not say this lightly, for I was quite critical of some of his recordings. Flamme seems to have an intrinsic connection with this organ, for it sounds fluent, and has an authority in his interpretation of all these different composers which is quite convincing to say the least. The Organ is to my ears a beautiful instrument, with all the original pipes still in the case, so quite original which is not a given. In the 19th century a lot of fine organs were destroyed and robbed of its tin pipes for WW I. Not so with this organ, there simply was too much lead in them to be useable for the war industry.
I love the Mixture in the Hauptwerk, it gives a tiny bit to the music, but also the Principal 8', Untersatz 16' & Posaun 16' in the Pedal. This organ is well balanced and tuned. the acoustics of this Church added greatly to the excellent recording.

Operafreak

Haydn: Symphonie Nr.22 Es-Dur-Symphonie Nr.23 G-Dur-. Symphonie Nr.24 D-Dur-Symphonie Nr.25 C-Dur

Philharmonia Hungarica- Antal Dorati
The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

vandermolen

Arthur Bliss: Meditations on a Theme of John Blow.
In a way this work reminds me of 'Job' by Vaughan Williams:

Lisztianwagner

Arnold Schönberg
Five Pieces for Orchestra

https://youtube.com/v/Pq23nWqq0es

Antal Dorati & London Symphony Orchestra. First listen to this particular recording, and I think, to the 1949 revision of the composition.....
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Harry on October 18, 2022, 12:57:18 AM
Funny, that was not my impression, but then we react all differently on music I guess.

And THAT is the joy!

Harry

Dmitri Shostakovich.
Symphony No. 2 in B major, "To October-A Symphonic dedication".
London Philharmonic Orchestra and Choir, Bernard Haitink.
Symphony No. 10 in E minor.
London PO, Bernard Haitink.

Haitink is sublime in this repertoire, and brings out the intentions of the composer in a thoughtful and alert tempo. Not too fast or too slow, an ear for details which are sometimes missing in other interpretations. Haitink brings Shostakovich very close to the core of this music. The Decca recordings are very good, but a bit bright in the brass.

Lisztianwagner

On spotify:

Joseph Haydn
Symphony No.45 'Farewell'

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Spotted Horses

Mozart Symphony No 38, Krips, Concertgebouw

After Norrington, the pendulum has swung too far the other way. There are some moments of arresting beauty here, and the elegance of the Concertgwbouw Orchestra's playing is impressive. There are things brought out here which are missed in the more kinetic performances, but in the end I want more momentum and rhythmic snap in Mozart.

I listened to brief samples of Bruggen and my impression is that it is the "just right" balance for me.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Harry

Antwerp Requiem. c. 1650.
Philippus van Steelant. (1611-1670).
Missa pro Defunctis a 6 voc, et 5 Instr. (c. 1650)
Miserere mei Deus 5 Voc & 5 Viol. cum 4 Voc, Ripien. (c. 1656)
Missa pro Defunctis 6 Voc. & 6 Voc. Ripien. (. 1656)

CantoLX
B'Rock Orchestra,  Frank Agsteribbe, Direction and Harpsichord.

This is beyond beautiful, almost etherical. Voices and instruments are evenly matched. Definitively top-notch material.
Also one of the best vocal discs I bought this year. Excellent recording.

Traverso

Codex Las Huelgas

Colorful sounds from days gone by.

vandermolen

Sir Arthur Bliss 'The Beatitudes' (1961)
I really need to get to know this work having read some laudatory comments about it recently (do I need the new Andrew Davis recording - that is the question?)
These late works by Bliss don't receive much interest but I think very highly of his last orchestral work - the Metamorphic Variations.

Florestan

Quote from: Traverso on October 18, 2022, 05:00:52 AM
Codex Las Huelgas

Colorful sounds from days gone by.

I was blown away by it recently. Music so pure and noble, in which simplicity is at the service of the profound. The perfect antidote to the madness around (and I'm not talking about the war only).
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Harry

Lyrita-Celebrating 50 years devoted to British Music.
Volume II.
CD II.
Music by:
Elizabeth Maconchy-Music for Strings.
William Matthias-Sinfonietta.
E.J. Moeran-Rhapsody No. 2.
Hubert Parry-Symphonic Variations.
Alan Rawsthorne-Symphonic Studies.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot