What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linz (+ 1 Hidden) and 28 Guests are viewing this topic.

Karl Henning

Louis Andriessen
De snelheid
Icebreaker
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

j winter

Quote from: Florestan on September 24, 2019, 07:37:39 AM
Every single time the 7th is broadcasted on my car radio I turn it off or switch the channel, and Hell is gonna freeze before I listen to it of my own will again. I can't stand it anymore --- and to think that during my teens it was my favorite symphony by anyone (not that I had listened to many back then).  :D

Bummer... that's definitely why I now only pull out Beethoven once in a while, I don't want to get burned out on it -- plus there's so much other music to explore!  :)

My CD collecting was more than a bit OCD when I was more active on these boards years ago, and LvB symphonies were my obsession of choice.  I'm hoping that I've acquired a bit of temperance and wisdom in the intervening years, time will tell on that front...

Thread duty... first listen, Magnard symphonies 1 & 3

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

aligreto

Berg: Three Orchestral Pieces [von Karajan]

This is very exciting music which is given an electric performance here.

aligreto

Quote from: André on September 24, 2019, 07:45:47 AM

That's true of all of Kubelik's Mahler. The BRSO's mahlerian tonal palette is light and refined where other orchestras sound much darker. I really like it but it offers fewer thrills than most.

You are quite correct André and that is precisely why Kubelik's Mahler never really fully appealed to me. I like Mahler's music to be performed in a big, bold and assertive way. However, I fully appreciate that Kubelik has a valid perspective and appeals to many. These things are just so subjective.

aligreto

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 24, 2019, 07:55:30 AM
It didn't do it for me at the time. But, as my friend and I shared enthusiasms for Nielsen and Shostakovich, Mahler did not get between us.

Like it should be, Karl, between friends.

aligreto

Strauss: Ein Heldenleben [Krauss]

This is a very fine, lyrical account which also has all of the requisite sensitivity, tension, excitement and drama where appropriate.

aligreto

Schumann: Piano Concerto [Anda/Kubelik]

Papy Oli

Some Chopin mazurkas by Rubinstein.

[asin]B001E1TG90[/asin]
Olivier

Maestro267

André

This program is part of a 5cd set devoted to Wunderlich I'm slowly going through. His Müllerin is probably as famous and liked as any other out there. The voice is a natural wonder to be sure, almost too healthy-sounding to portray the creeping sense of doubt, anger and disarray that wends its way as the cycle proceeds to its resigned conclusion. I find Schreier and Bostridge more convincing in this, with the 'benefit' of a less beautiful instrument to carry this impression. This is extremely subjective of course. In the end my preference remains for a lower voice and specifically for Fischer-Dieskau's 1972 DG recording.

Ken B

Haydn
Piano trios
Haydn Trio Eisenstadt

Que

listener

Ignazio CIRRI (1711-1787)   12 Sonatas for Organ op. 1
Massimo Gabba, organ of the Chiesa Parrochiale di San Bononio, Pozzengo
Piano Music by DELIUS and friends – QUILTER, MOERAN, WARLOCK, BAX, GRAINGER and others
Paul Guinery, piano
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

SymphonicAddict

aligreto

Schubert: Octet [Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields' Chamber Ensemble]

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Cato on September 23, 2019, 08:36:13 AM

Schubert: Symphony #5

Bamberg Symphony Orchestra conducted by Jonathan Nott

Good idea. I haven't heard Schubert Five in ages (a favorite since high school in 1967 when we played a version for band of the Andante con moto). I'll go with Maazel conducting the SOBR:

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

SimonNZ

Quote from: André on September 24, 2019, 10:33:12 AM

This program is part of a 5cd set devoted to Wunderlich I'm slowly going through. His Müllerin is probably as famous and liked as any other out there. The voice is a natural wonder to be sure, almost too healthy-sounding to portray the creeping sense of doubt, anger and disarray that wends its way as the cycle proceeds to its resigned conclusion. I find Schreier and Bostridge more convincing in this, with the 'benefit' of a less beautiful instrument to carry this impression. This is extremely subjective of course. In the end my preference remains for a lower voice and specifically for Fischer-Dieskau's 1972 DG recording.

The wrong Wunderlich recording is the famous one. The Nonesuch is less pretty but has more drama and emotion.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Ken B on September 24, 2019, 10:38:40 AM
Haydn
Piano trios
Haydn Trio Eisenstadt

My favorite set of Haydn Trios.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"